Thread: ARU irate at 'top 10' earner Baxter

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

ARU irate at 'top 10' earner Baxter

Greg Growden Chief Rugby Correspondent | April 21, 2009

THE Australian Rugby Union, upset that Wallabies prop Al Baxter has gone public in stating that his contract negotiations have broken down, insisted yesterday "the ball is in his court".

The ARU also stressed that if Test back-rower Rocky Elsom wanted to return to play for the Wallabies this season, he had to be contracted to an Australian province, not Leinster in Ireland.

Chief executive John O'Neill said the ARU was "very disappointed" Baxter "had decided to negotiate through the media".

"It was not necessary for Al to do that, because he is a valued player," O'Neill said yesterday.

Baxter told the Herald last week that as talks with the ARU had collapsed, and he had told the national and NSW rugby unions he would pursue negotiations with clubs in Europe.

Baxter, Australia's most-capped prop, said he hoped the ARU would reconsider its stance over a two-year deal, which would take him through to the 2011 World Cup, and was disappointed with how long it had taken to start negotiations.

"Unfortunately, it was pretty slow with the ARU - not getting back to me and [my] having to do a fair bit of chasing up with them to try and get offers from them," Baxter said.

While disputing that the ARU was "slow" in negotiations, O'Neill said there was a misconception that the Wallabies forwards, in particular front-rowers, were underpaid.

"If you take the top 20 highest-paid players in Australia in 2008, 13 were forwards, and six of them were front-rowers," O'Neill said. "And Al is amongst that group. He is actually amongst the top 10 highest-paid players in Australia in 2008. And that's been the case for some time. But our earnest desire is for negotiations to take place at the negotiating table, and not in the media."

The ARU's contract negotiator, Peter Friend, denied Baxter had struggled to get a response from the ARU.

"It is fair to say, though, that sometimes the negotiations of the two sides go at different paces," Friend said. "We're negotiating with a whole range of players at the current time. Sometimes a player can expect that they'll hear things quicker than what necessarily takes place."

Asked if the ARU hoped to retain Baxter, Friend replied: "The ball is in his court."
    Elsom, who headed to Ireland after last year's Tri Nations series, meanwhile has given a strong indication he wants to return to the Wallabies ranks. The ARU gave him an early release on "compassionate grounds" to join Leinster.

In an interview with Inside Rugby magazine, to be published tomorrow, Elsom said after appearing for the Barbarians against the Wallabies in Sydney in June he wanted to be part of Robbie Deans's Test squad.

Asked what his plans were following the Heineken Cup, Elsom said: "The Australian international season starts in June, and I'd like to be part of that. I just really want to get into the Tests. When you're over here watching everyone compete in the Six Nations, you want your piece of the action. So that's all I've been thinking of is getting back so I can play in those Tests …

"You've got to play well, [the selectors] are not going to pick you if you're not playing well. It also depends on how everyone else is playing, and there's a bit of Super rugby to come."

While there were suggestions Elsom was about to re-sign with Leinster, the ARU yesterday stressed he could return to the Wallabies ranks only if he were contracted to an Australian province. "We are still confident that Rocky will be contracted to the ARU through to the next World Cup," O'Neill said.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...079604985.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Champion
    vCash
    What is JON doing?

vCash
    If Elsom wants to play Test Rugby then he can sign with the ARU and a Super 14 club or he watch it on TV
    Posted via Mobile Device

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    we might not have to put up with Trestle this year! Woo Hoo!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    The only thing worse than a player complaining about the money is one of the top 10 most paid players doing it. And the only thing worse than that is the fact that Baxter is pretty bloody average.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Senior Player Contributor WF2006's Avatar
    vCash
    I didn't even think he was in the top ten props in NSW!

vCash
    Most people should be able to empathise with what appear to be the two issues.

Firstly, Baxter's belief that he has had to chase the ARU to get offers from them. Anyone who is in a position whereby they are employed and have alternatives available to them would expect their current employer not to be dragging their feet in negotiations. When someone doesn't think they are "valued" then they start to think about moving on. Actions speak louder than words and in this instance it does appear that the ARU have not met this criteria. Talking about how he is 'valued' but leaving him with the impression that he has to chase the ARU to get offers from them.

Secondly, it's all very well quoting ARU pay grades but as is obvious to any blind freddy, the money on offer in Europe is far superior to what the players can make as a "top ten paid Wallaby". So if the ARU are slow off the mark (or just that Baxter perceives them to be) and he thinks they are not going to come up with a 'reasonable' offer then he would easilly conclude that his Wobbly days are over and so he may as well go to Europe and make a lot more money for the next few years. No different to anyone else who has options of working overseas either for more money or tax free or both.

Before damning Baxter, try to place yourself in his position - you are waiting to hear what your current employer is going to pay you for the next two years, you have to chase him to get an offer out of him, and then when you get an offer it doesn't meet your expectations and you know you can get a lot more money elsewhere.

And the only thing worse than that is the fact that Baxter is pretty bloody average.
    I don't think Andrew Sheriden would agree with that assessment.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackswan View Post

Before damning Baxter, try to place yourself in his position - you are waiting to hear what your current employer is going to pay you for the next two years, you have to chase him to get an offer out of him, and then when you get an offer it doesn't meet your expectations and you know you can get a lot more money elsewhere.
    Although I see where your coming from I disagree with you Blackswan, when I sign a contract there are many things to consider that do not always revolve or equate to dollars and cents. The single biggest reason we have those top ten paid Wallabies still playing in Australia is because they can play for the Wallabies. The chance to play for your country is the biggest bonus you can receive in my eyes, and that must be the sentiment for players as well otherwise they would have scarpered off to the NH.

For these players a Wallabies jumper and at the moment a chance at winning a world cup is a bonus in the contract, the question Al Baxter needs to ask is how much is that bonus worth to him?

Last edited by sandgroperrugby; 21-04-09 at 11:45.
    Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

I don't think Andrew Sheriden would agree with that assessment.
    Look the ARU has offered him what it can afford to pay and stay viable in some fairly tough economic times. He is whinging in the public forum that "its not enough" as a means of putting the heat on the ARU. Pretty average behaviour if you ask me. He can accept what is offered or he can go overseas whatever. But I'm pretty sure a lot of Australians who just a little bit worried about their own job sercurity don't want to hear about a guy getting paid 300,000 a year complaining that he wants/deserves more.

Perhaps Andrew Sheridan wouldn't agree with that assessment but I think just about everyone else in rugby would struggle to find a place for him in their world top 50 props. That makes him pretty bloody average in my books.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Indeed - he can always go back to his architecture.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    Although I see where your coming from I disagree with you Blackswan, when I sign a contract there are many things to consider that do not always revolve or equate to dollars and cents. The single biggest reason we have those top ten paid Wallabies still playing in Australia is because they can play for the Wallabies. The chance to play for your country is the biggest bonus you can receive in my eyes, and that must be the sentiment for players as well otherwise they would have scarpered off to the NH.

For these players a Wallabies jumper and at the moment a chance at winning a world cup is a bonus in the contract, the question Al Baxter needs to ask is how much is that bonus worth to him?
    I don't think we're in disagreement. The point I was making indirectly is that if Baxter doesn't place sufficient value on his Wallaby cap and opportunity to play in the RWC2011 then he will be looking for other opportunities because he's pissed off at having to "chase the ARU". I suspect that they'll kiss and make up sometime soon.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I suspect that they'll kiss and make up sometime soon.
    Probably. Neither party realistically wants to leave negotiations. But both parties want to get the best for themselves they can.

vCash
    Baxter isn't that bad a prop... But JON doesn't like others speaking to the media... I think if Baxter wishes to speak to the media he can and JON can just deal with it... It doesn't mean Baxter will get a cent more... He may go North so be it Waugh can go as well...