Thread: Valentine coy about his next career move

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Valentine coy about his next career move

• Tim Clarke
    • April 20, 2009 - 7:22AM
    Josh Valentine ... will he be at Western Force next year.

Western Force scrum half Josh Valentine has credited the Perth Super 14 side with resurrecting his career and his Wallabies ambitions - but still has not decided whether he will repay them with another season.

Valentine played arguably his best game since arriving in Perth in the Force's stirring 15-14 win over the NSW Waratahs in Sydney on Saturday, confirming the Force's "triple crown" of victories over the other Australian franchises this season.

With a clash against the lowly Lions in Perth to come this weekend, the Force's slim finals chances still have a faint pulse - with the momentum of their first ever win over the Waratahs to drive the Force on.

But that feel good factor may be curtailed this week with star winger Drew Mitchell edging closer to the exit door for the Waratahs - and room - mate Valentine also off-contract and undecided.
    "Being at the Force at the moment has been good for me, they have reignited my career again after having a bit of a low last year,'' Valentine said.
    "Definitely yet to be decided, but … I am not going to be stupid and not look at every avenue.

"I am definitely open to moving around or even staying at the Force. ''
    The domino effect of the Force's superstar Matt Giteau leaving has yet to eventuate - but could begin this week with Mitchell having had discussions with the three other Australian franchises.

Despite sharing an address with the Wallaby flier, Valentine claims he is in the dark about his friend's intentions - but did say they would have a bearing on his future.
    "Matt was one of the reasons I went to the Force, and him leaving is going to be another decision in my though process," Valentine said.

"And Drew is one of my best mates and I live with the guy, so it is definitely going to be a long process thinking about what I am going to do next yea r.
    "Being a roomy he has actually kept it quite quiet.
    "I have spoken with the Force a little bit but they have still got a lot of contract negotiations to do with other blokes."
    And while those negotiations continue, Valentine says he hopes his improving form continues, as Wallaby coach Robbie Deans makes his mind up on his next squad.

"I have still got to make the team for the Force every week before I move on any further. Growing up as a kid the ultimate dream is to play for the Wallabies so it is always in the back of the mind," Valentine said.

"But if you are not playing good for your state it is not really going to work out. Playing consistent football and winning games will put me in good stead for selection."

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/vale...0419-ab8u.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    If he has no passion for the team then get rid of him. Great teams need players ready to bleed for the jersey, not try hards only looking after their own promotional interests.

Veteran
    vCash
    I'd be happy with him staying!

It is good to have a decent half, and if he can stay, it'll add continuity. Especially since we are losing our number 10.

vCash
    Valentine, I think, was the key to the show on the weekend. He was my Man of the Match. I hope he stays. He's been simply wonderful and fully deserves to play for the Wallabies later this year.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    And Drew whoring himself around everybody for the best dollar shouldn't play a part in the decision making process. Surely Valo can see the effect it's having on Drew's game and therefore his value!

He needs to sign with the best Aussie team if he wants a chance at the title. Saturday night proved that Giteau isn't the only reason the Force can win games.

C'mon the

vCash
    I don't have a problem with a player being mercenary when he's up front and honest about it as Josh seems to be.

The players that annoy me are the ones that say how much they love a team and then disappear the following week.

vCash
    I thought it was reported a few weeks go he wanted to stay on next year?

Force should make a big effort to hold onto him...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I thought it was reported a few weeks go he wanted to stay on next year?

Force should make a big effort to hold onto him...
    God help me, Muddie's right.

Wasn't there a song and dance a few weeks back about how the Force had given him another shot at the Wallabies through the chance for a starting spot and he was gonna repay that faith??

vCash
    Maybe this is part of his negotiation plan, if they see I'm not interested they may up the offer in money and years.

vCash
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Force looking for another scrum half as was reported as recently as Thursday or Friday? He's looking at his options just as we are, sounds fair to me.

vCash
    I recall articles about potential new props and flyhalfs, not so much scrum halfs, but I been in Tah-land, so I might have missed it.

Champion
    vCash
    I would like to see Browny, JOC, Pek, Mitch and Val (these guys are essential to momentum forward) give us one more season. If we can keep the guts of the team we will go even better in 2010 what the new stadium and and what looks like a good solid pack

vCash
    Maybe he's coy because he hasn't decided. Go figure?!
    Leave him to play and write an article when there's actually something to write about..the Force beating the Tahs would have been a nice article to read instead of speculation and regurgitated crap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't the Force looking for another scrum half as was reported as recently as Thursday or Friday? He's looking at his options just as we are, sounds fair to me.
    Valentine wants to stay. Reading between the lines of the article, maybe he does not have an offer from The Force to consider just yet.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David