Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Brumbies win thriller against Bulls

vCash

Brumbies win thriller against Bulls

The Brumbies have won a Super 14 thriller at Canberra Stadium, scoring a try with less than three minutes remaining to beat the Bulls 32-31 in a must-win clash for the hosts.

No.10 Christian Lealiifano crossed the line in the dying moments and Stirling Mortlock added the extras for the narrowest of victories.

In claiming victory, the Brumbies earned a much-needed bonus point, keeping their 2009 finals hopes alive.

Brumbies win thriller against Bulls

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Arrow Brumbies five-eighth Christian Lealiifano secures an emotional win over Bulls

April 17, 2009

Brumbies have won a Super 14 thriller at Canberra Stadium, scoring a try with less than three minutes remaining to beat the Bulls 32-31 in a must-win clash for the hosts.

No.10 Christian Lealiifano crossed the line in the dying moments and Stirling Mortlock added the extras for the narrowest of victories.

In claiming victory, the Brumbies earned a much-needed bonus point, keeping their 2009 finals hopes alive.

Mortlock, who shifted to the wing in a re-worked Brumbies backline, was crucial to the win, kicking three conversions and two penalties.

With their season on the line, the Brumbies looked to spread the ball early and it paid dividends with the home side crossing the line in the fourth minute through a try to blindside flanker Mitchell Chapman.

The Bulls hit back almost immediately when Lealiifano attempted to spread the ball wide, only for it to land in the clutches of winger Bryan Habana, who raced 60 metres to score under the post.

The Brumbies were in again five minutes later after outside centre Tyrone Smith, kicking from deep in his own half, found the touch line just five metres out from the Bulls line.

Lock Peter Kimlin then crossed for a try when the home side managed to win a lineout against the throw.

Mortlock, on fire with the boot, again added the extras, taking the score to 17-7.

But the Bulls weren't done, replying just over 10 minutes later after exposing the Brumbies' defence out wide, giving fullback Zane Kirchner the space to cross the line for the visitors' second try.

Brumbies captain Stephen Hoiles scored in the corner on the stroke of halftime to help the home side take a 22-17 lead following a pulsating first half and the action continued right until the final whistle.

The Bulls took the lead for the first time in the match 20 minutes from fulltime when No.12 Wynand Olivier crossed and Morne Steyn kicked the extras to take the score to 24-22.

The visitors scored their fourth try with just over 10 minutes to go and looked like they would hold on for the win.

Mortlock kicked a penalty in the 72nd minute to chop the Bulls' lead back to six, ensuring a thrilling finish to the match, before kicking the winning points following the Lealiifano try.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 18-04-09 at 09:09.

vCash
    Nice win full of character... The Brumbies have had 3 weeks with disrupted preparation and the heartfelt loss of their beloved teammate Shawn MacKay... Well done boys... proud to be a Brumby supporter... proud of your efforts…

Rookie
    vCash
    Did any one watching see Fainifo chase down Habana when he took that intercept? Where'd that pace come from!

vCash
    it is funny how no one talks about the second try of the brumbies that the ref awarded without refering it to the tmo If he did the tmo would have told him it was no try !!

If this was a bulls try it would have been front page news:BRUMBIES ROBBED OF A DEFINATE WIN BY REFEREE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    it is funny how no one talks about the second try of the brumbies that the ref awarded without refering it to the tmo If he did the tmo would have told him it was no try !!

If this was a bulls try it would have been front page news:BRUMBIES ROBBED OF A DEFINATE WIN BY REFEREE
    the oracle speaks...
    seriously though, shoulda woulda .. its part of the game. Bulls played Boring kick chase rugby and deserved to lose because they are as bad as the Tahs.. BORING!!

good game apart from the ping pong...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Endurance View Post
    Did any one watching see Fainifo chase down Habana when he took that intercept? Where'd that pace come from!

Yeah. But I did get the impression Habana laid off the gas a little to make sure he got a strong fend on Fanifo when he realised he might not beat him to the line. That was a great bit of play from Habana.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Yeah. But I did get the impression Habana laid off the gas a little to make sure he got a strong fend on Fanifo when he realised he might not beat him to the line. That was a great bit of play from Habana.
    Silly long pass by Lealiifano... Habana was off side for much of the match sneaking in from the blindside... I don't think he has the pace he once had...

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Those silly massive shoulder pads are weighing him down like an anchor.

For the first time i agree with Phil Kearns (shudder) he does look like an NFL player.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 18-04-09 at 13:42. Reason: embed vid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandgroperrugby View Post
    For the first time i agree with Phil Kearns (shudder) he does look like an NFL player.
    Mum declared he had a touch of the "Tah Man"s about him in that get-up- OO Yeah!

vCash
    Brumbies prop Guy Shepherdson banned for two matches for striking
    April 18, 2009

Brumbies prop Guy Shepherdson has been banned for two weeks by the SANZAR judiciary after being found guilty of striking during the match against the Bulls in Canberra on Friday night.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

Dumb stuff by Pink... I though he might only get a week... Jimmy Cowan might get more for his late charge on Gopperth...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post

Dumb stuff by Pink... I though he might only get a week... Jimmy Cowan might get more for his late charge on Gopperth...
    He dropped a knee deliberately to the head. How do you rationalise that as a one week suspension? I think he's extremely lucky with the penalty he got.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Player
    vCash
    Jeez, the Brumbies sure did miss Gerrard's boot at the back. I think they'd be mad to let him go. AAC just can't seem to weight his kicks right- barely a contestable kick in the whole match from the Brumbies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    He dropped a knee deliberately to the head. How do you rationalise that as a one week suspension? I think he's extremely lucky with the penalty he got.
    But he did hold back... and not give it his all... I don't have a problem with the two weeks suspension it was stupid stuff.... However Pink is not that type of player the emotion of the match got to him...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast