Thread: Tahs lead race for Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Tahs lead race for Mitchell

THE NSW Waratahs are poised to sign Wallabies wing-fullback Drew Mitchell, but are in danger of losing Test tighthead prop Al Baxter to an overseas club.

The Waratahs have re-emerged as the favourites to secure Mitchell after discussions with Queensland Reds and the Brumbies stalled.

It is now a two-horse race between the Waratahs and Western Force, with NSW having its nose in front.

A brilliant ball-runner, Mitchell would certainly help to improve the Waratahs' attack.

Mitchell is expected to make a decision early next week, after the Waratahs play the Force in Sydney tomorrow night. Injured Waratahs outside centre Rob Horne is also close to re-committing to NSW.

While the Waratahs are confident of luring Mitchell to Sydney, Baxter is exploring overseas options, after reaching a stalemate in his re-negotiations with the ARU.

Baxter is Australia's most capped prop and the Waratahs can ill-afford to lose him, especially as his NSW frontrow partner Matt Dunning is also looking to play overseas.

"I was negotiating with the ARU, but that has come to a point, which is under my expectations," Baxter said. "At the moment, I'm just having a bit of a look overseas. Ideally, I want to stay here at the Waratahs and the Wallabies, but things have come to a bit of an impasse.

"A fair few guys from overseas have been asking me what I'm doing and I've been holding them off for a while, but now with this impasse with the ARU ... NSW have been great ... I'm investigating my options."

The Waratahs have missed Baxter's scrummaging and constructive play around the rucks and mauls while he has been sidelined with a calf injury. A frustrated Baxter felt good enough to play against the Force, but the Waratahs did not want to risk rushing him back as they did once before this season, which resulted in him aggravating the injury. Baxter will make his comeback on the Waratahs' three-game tour of South Africa at the end of the regular season.

"I feel really good at the moment," Baxter said. "I wanted to play this weekend, but the medical staff said no, they wanted me to have another week off to make sure it's right for Africa, because it's going to be a long, hard haul and hopefully the finals series after that."

Whether the fourth-placed Waratahs make the play-offs may depend on the result of the game against the Force.

The Waratahs still have a bye to come before their South African tour, which makes a win against the Force imperative.

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has shown his hand by starting the highly physical Brett Sheehan at halfback ahead of Luke Burgess in a game NSW will look to dominate up front to deny Matt Giteau and co possession.

Sheehan admitted he was surprised at his promotion to the starting line-up, but is keen to make the most of his opportunity, particularly with the Wallabies squad to be named in six weeks.

He will oppose another Wallabies contender, Josh Valentine, and their clash at the scrumbase will be intense.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    ...While the Waratahs are confident of luring Mitchell to Sydney,...

I wonder what makes them so confident?

vCash
    Possibly a signature, or the fact that they had an offer on the table before last Friday's game! Either would do!

C'mon the

vCash
    Gentleman's agreement?

vCash
    creative use of the word Gentlemen normie!

C'mon the

vCash
    thanks GIGS; Gentlemen's agreements are always open to be Digbied ... or

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by normie View Post
    I wonder what makes them so confident?
    Because they know he will do what his mum says.

Veteran
    vCash
    they are holding his gel ransom?

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    They have introduced Mitchells Management to the "boys" from Just Cuts Hair Salons for "men"

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post

A brilliant ball-runner, Mitchell would certainly help to improve the Waratahs' attack.
    Not to mention how he will assist all teams playing the tahs with his poor defence

vCash
    look out for an outstanding game this weekend as he again touts himself to prospective employees!

vCash
    I'm not even going to bother this time...OK I will. Drew Mitchell is an asset for a team. Here is a thought - Why the hell would the Tahs be chasing him so very hard if they didn't think he was worth having? They already have what they think are 2 outstanding wingers. MAYBE they just don't want the force to have Drew coz they know he is such a good player.

Drew don't go please

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Why the hell would the Tahs be chasing him so very hard if they didn't think he was worth having?
    One of the great questions of all time, up there with "What is the meaning of life"

Immortal Contributor The InnFORCEr's Avatar
    vCash
    The race was run and won a long time ago. FFS Drew please make the annoucement ASAP and end this crap.
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Here is a thought - Why the hell would the Tahs be chasing him so very hard if they didn't think he was worth having?
    Well here's a reply - maybe, just maybe, they want the pretty boy to attract the (pretty) girls. Nothing to do with his rugby afterall we know the Tahs are all about hype and little else.