Thread: Tahu considers code backflip

vCash

Tahu considers code backflip

Waratahs back Timana Tahu in secret talks with Sydney Roosters
    By Dean Ritchie
    April 16, 2009 A day after declaring he hates being known as a former rugby league player, New South Wales Waratahs star Timana Tahu has flagged a shock return to the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph reported a representative from Tahu's camp has approached Sydney Roosters about a return to league.

His manager, Warwick Wright, was adamant he was not responsible for the approach but senior Roosters officials last night revealed a "third party" did talk with the club about Tahu's possible return to league.

The development comes as Parramatta and Wests Tigers indicated they would be interested in talking with Tahu.

Although he will deny it, it is understood that Tahu is disillusioned in rugby union, despite having a contract which does not expire until the end of next season.

It is believed Tahu signed an incentive-based contract which could earn him about $400,000 a season in rugby union.

Just this week, Tahu said that being constantly referred to as a ex-league player was "irritating".

"I came over here to play rugby and I consider myself a rugby player, not a league player," he said.

But in late 2007, while with Parramatta, Tahu said he would never play rugby union. He signed with the Waratahs days later.

The former Newcastle Knights and Parramatta Eels winger has played little football this season, mostly coming off the Waratahs bench.

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald said his club would be interested in talking to Tahu.

"We'd certainly be interested in having a chat," he said.

"He was brilliant for us, especially in 2007 before he went to rugby union. However, the salary cap does look tight for 2010. But we will see what happens."

Wests Tigers recruitment manager Warren McDonnell added: "Timana is a class act. I don't think there would be a club in the competition that would say no to talking with Timana.

"If they said no they would be talking rubbish. But the main question is can a club afford him and could you fit him under the salary cap?

"It would be a matter of juggling the figures to fit him in."

Souths and the Bulldogs claimed they would not consider signing Tahu.

Dogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said: "I hear he is catching a cold in rugby union most weekends."

Asked did he approach the Roosters, Wright said: "No, I don't know anything about the Roosters.

"I think he is pretty happy where he is. It's still early days for Timana (in rugby union)."

A close friend of Tahu said the former NSW Origin star was restless.

"I don't think he's overly happy," the friend said. "He is on the bench all the time which is such a waste.

"He'd be mad not to think about coming back to the NRL."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23214,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    This is a bit worrying, if he goes it frees up space in their roster and also leaves them with a bit of idle cash to throw around.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    But they'll be short a Mungo, it won't put any pressure on Rabbit!

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    It sounds like the only thing for certain is to never trust anything he has to say.

vCash
    On the flip side I think it a good outcome for Union in general (ie, Tahu back to League) -

1. Hopefully this will curb our misadventure into Mungo-world searching for "talent".

If you want talent, rather than take the "easy route", ie NRL, look at the colts, spend money and time developing those players. Long term rewards are inevitable.

2. Will get rid of all the pseudo-hype surrounding cross-coders who are at best an unnecessary distraction and source of mindless speculation (this article being a perfect example).

To be honest, I was of the opinion that Tahu would be a success and generally supported his cross over. It was a selfish thought at the time largely motivated by my dislike for League and wanting the mungos to "stick it yer jumper!".

I have since mellowed out and accepted that League isn't going nowhere - a phrase with two interpretations, both of which are true. That being understood, I've accepted that as a sport in Australia, Union needs to shift its focus back 100% on the development of players within its grass-roots.

We get no respect for raiding League off its stars who have generally been a fizzle in any case, and lose the confidence of juniors coming through the ranks who see us forcing a S14 or Wallaby jumper on a mungo who's hardly proven himself.

Let's move on.

vCash
    I'm a bit on the fence in that regard Kenya. I have NO QUALMS WHATSOEVER with Mugoes crossing over of their own volition, interested in putting in the hard yards to learn a game which (whilst liberally sprinkled with important differences) has a similar core concept.

What really grinds my gears is the untried superstar munoes who have come to the code, on massive money with seemingly a contractural obligation to a Wallabies jersey.

This isn't even an NSWRU problem, since the ARU are the ones paying the top up and also the ones enabling these guys selection in the Wallabies.

Robbie Deans is even tainted by this....he's reported to be interested in the battle between Tahu and Cross this weekend with an eye to Wallaby selection......WHY? Cross has had an ordinary season by his standards and qualifies for nothing more than a bench spot behind Mortlock IMHO and Tahu is in a whole different postcode, he can't even crack a start in the Waratahs until the kid who's beating crap out of him is hurt.

I know it's probably reporter hype that creates this type of speculation, but even this hype detracts from our game.

I put it to you, that if Ryan Cross was matching up with Gene Fairbanks (who has had similar impact on the comp as Tahu) there would be no mention of Wallabies Jerseys.

C'mon the

vCash
    Contradicting myself rather well (ie, contributing to continued speculation), I'm posting the following article -

Timana Tahu says he's committed to the Waratahs April 16, 2009
    Article from: Australian Associated Press

WALLABIES and NSW Waratahs centre Timana Tahu today denied he is plotting a return to the NRL.

“I'd like to say coming from the horse's mouth, it is not true,” Tahu told 2KY radio.The Daily Telegraph reported on Thursday that a “third party” had spoken with the Sydney Roosters about the dual international's possible return to the NRL.

Tahu, though, insisted he had no plans to walk out on the NSW Waratahs, where he has mostly been used off the bench this season, and remained committed to pursuing a regular place in the Wallabies starting line-up.

“My manager, he did talk to the bloke who wrote the article in the paper today and, as he said in the paper today that I read this morning, everything was denied.

“I don't know who the `third party' was, but there's no thinking about switching back over to the NRL.

“I've still got another two years here at rugby ... there's no conspiracy or anything behind it. There's nothing really to talk about it.

“I said this week I wasn't even thinking returning back to NRL and I never will.”

Shortly before signing his million-dollar contract with the ARU and the Waratahs last year, Tahu famously bluffed the media into believing he would “never play rugby”. ...

Read More Here

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    He's gone!!!!!!!!

“I'd like to say coming from the horse's mouth, it is not true,” Tahu told 2KY radio.
    At least he rates himself. I'd run him with the Donkeys

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    I'd say, based upon past form, he's about a week from signing.

C'mon the

vCash
    I do like the way Union is called rugby and league is always called league.

I guess it obvious that one is and one isn't.

Shasta, Jargs you can start the WRLF jokes now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    I
    Shasta, Jargs you can start the WRLF jokes now.
    Nah, mate. No prize for second.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    This isn't even an NSWRU problem, since the ARU are the ones paying the top up and also the ones enabling these guys selection in the Wallabies.
    Not so sure about that - how many League players cross over with ARU top-ups and play for anyone other than NSW? I suspect it is much more that NSW identifies a player they think has potential (and say what you like, Tahu has that) and, more importantly, box office. They then convince the ARU to foot the bulk of the bill as the S14 contract component is limited. And besides, everyone knows that the ARU's money is the NSWRU's money.

That the player then has to get picked for the Wallabies or Aus A is face and cost saving for the ARU, basically hoping that they are no worse than the alternatives. Tuqiri has had his ups and downs, but injuries have made Tahu a poor investment. But if either expected to see loads of ball, they really should have thought twice about playing for NSW. At the moment, they'd be better off in Queensland (assuming they'd have them).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    Not so sure about that - how many League players cross over with ARU top-ups and play for anyone other than NSW? I suspect it is much more that NSW identifies a player they think has potential (and say what you like, Tahu has that) and, more importantly, box office. They then convince the ARU to foot the bulk of the bill as the S14 contract component is limited. And besides, everyone knows that the ARU's money is the NSWRU's money.
    Well that was kind of the point I was trying to make......the ARU is being the NSWRU's sugardaddy, and I think that's a problem!

It happens to be a self-perpetuating problem that doesn't have a solution outside the halls of power in the ARU, as long as the ARU is prepared to be lead around by it's nose an throw money at the NSWRU's latest pin-up boy, we'll continue to be swamped by mediocre "Dual Internationals" learning the game at the highest levels of International play.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Denied on Qld news tonight.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.