Thread: Bulls prove too strong for the Waratahs at the Sydney Football Stadium

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Bulls prove too strong for the Waratahs at the Sydney Football Stadium

By Darren Walton
    April 11, 2009 Bulls have handed New South Wales Waratahs their first home loss of the Super 14 season with a 20-6 victory at the Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday night.
    Tries to winger Bryan Habana and prop Werner Kruger and two conversions, a penalty and drop goal from five-eighth Morne Steyn were enough to end the Waratahs' record-setting 11-match winning streak at the SFS.

The defeat relegated the Waratahs to fourth spot on the ladder after nine rounds and put the Tahs' playoff hopes on a knife's edge.

With a derby against the Western Force in Sydney next Saturday night before a bye and a testing three-game stretch in South Africa to complete their home-and-away campaign, suddenly the Waratahs are under real pressure to qualify for the finals.
    NSW captain Phil Waugh said he sensed the Waratahs may have entered the pivotal encounter mentally drained.

"It's probably a product of being in the ninth round and having a lot of close games," he said.

"It's not a lack of effort, but there was certainly a lack of spark.

"Perhaps because we're not making the most of our opportunities early in the game, guys subconsciously were a little bit off mentally.

"… at this level, it's such a fine line between winning and losing games. It's just that energy level that's the difference and it's probably fair to say that they had that edge on us."

Boasting the biggest and meanest forwards in the tournament - not to mention three straight triumphs over NSW - the Bulls were always going to be a tough nut to crack.

Typically, the match was a dour one - with controversial South African referee Jonathon Kaplan not improving the contest as a spectacle with his pedantic controlling of play.

He called countless plays back for so-called forward passes - which replays suggested were not - and was heard to make one of the quotes of the year when asked by Waratahs prop Dan Palmer why he had awarded two straight scrum penalties in the second half.

"I can't remember," Kaplan said, after he was roundly jeered by the exasperated crowd at full-time.

The Bulls had led 7-3 at halftime following Habana's try in the 16th minute, after the visitors intercepted an errant lineout throw from NSW hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau inside the Waratahs quarter.

The Waratahs' only points before the break came from a penalty goal to five-eighth Daniel Halangahu after the half-time siren.

Steyn extended the Bulls' advantage to 10 points with his drop goal and penalty early in the second stanza before replacement flyhalf Kurtley Beale added a penalty - the last points of the night for the Waratahs, who again struggled with their attacking execution.

Kruger's try 12 minutes from time sealed the Waratahs' fate.

Ultimately, though, Waugh said the Waratahs paid the price for 30 turnovers.

"If you turn over that much ball, it doesn't matter who you're playing; you're going to lose the game," he said.

"We played most of the game in our own half and they put a lot of pressure on us at the set piece, which made it hard to get out of our own half."

The Waratahs' woes were compounded by a hamstring injury to Rob Horne which is likely to sideline the young centre for two weeks, while Lachie Turner suffered a suspected broken nose.

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Veteran
    vCash
    i saw the second half and they didnt deserve a win.

When the bulls got the pick and drive try, the defense was soo slow and flat footed, they were always going to get over.

Also the back three could catch a high ball to save their lives...

vCash
    Botha got cited, did anyone see it? Was it the shot on Waugh maybe? I think I missed it, the Waugh thing wasn't too malicious. For him. I loved it when Botha blew the kiss at him, it made my day!

http://www.super14.com/news/viewarticle.asp?id=19598

Bulls lock Bakkies Botha cited

Bulls lock Bakkies Botha has been cited to appear before a SANZAR Judicial Officer over an incident in tonight's Super 14 match against the HSBC Waratahs at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Botha has been cited under Law 10.4(a) which is for Striking.
    A hearing will take place at the NSW Rugby Union on Sunday 12 April at 9:00am.

Super14.com

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    just as long as the tahs lost....

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    And lets hope they play a similar game this coming week...

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    And lets hope they play a similar game this coming week...
    I'm sure they'll play rubbish. They've been doing it all season so I hear (can't stand to watch the games). Just want the result to repeat for them.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I just want to see a Force team that plays like they have a pair every minute until the final whistle blows... Statistically, the ball is only in play for like 37 minutes of a game - that's not really very many minutes (says the guy sitting on his fat arse in front of a computer - but you get my drift).

I think it was less than 2 minutes of actual game time that saw a swing from 11 points in front to a 1 point loss. 1 minute ~ 3% - that's pretty significant!

On the other hand, if you beat the tahs, we get pretty good bragging rights till next season - but if you play every minute, you'll beat them anyway - that's how good you are, just bloody well do it! please.

vCash
    Typical Force, if we enter the stadium with the right attitude we'll win, if not we'll stink.......how long does it take to get this stuff right?

C'mon the