Thread: HODGO GRASPS GREATER OPPORTUNITY

vCash

HODGO GRASPS GREATER OPPORTUNITY

Matt Hodgson might be unheralded as an Emirates Western Force flanker, but he's having a terrific season and has been rewarded with a regular place at No. 6 after a big pre-season of bulking up.

Hodgson had 30 caps to his credit with the Force over the first three years, but stagnated a little in 2008 when he only started five matches and was used in both flank positions and No. 8 by coach John Mitchell.

The departure of Scott Fava at the end of last year opened up a spot as blindside flanker and Hodgson has so far grabbed it with both hands. That included a man-of-the-match performance against the Reds last Friday and he's enjoying his season so far.

"I'm pretty happy with how I'm travelling at the moment after getting some starts together and I feel my confidence is growing with that. To win last Friday obviously made it more enjoyable as well," Hodgson said.

"It's certainly one of my best performances this year and getting a few starts in a row has given me that confidence to feel a valued member of the team, and I feel more capable of going out and having a big impact. It's always nice to beat an Australian team as well especially after already having beat the Brumbies. Hopefully we can do the same against the Waratahs in a fortnight."

While the win over the Reds was encouraging, it will count for little without another strong win against the Hurricanes this Friday, and Hodgson is ready for a tough battle.

"We will be trying to take our momentum from last week and take it to another level against the Hurricanes," he said.

"We will need to be very aggressive as they will be hungry and are in a similar position on the table to us."

Hodgson definitely saw an opportunity to take over as the Force's preferred No. 6 and as a result put on some weight to stand up to the physicality of the position while not losing his speed and agility. It has worked out just as he hoped so far.

"I certainly did put on a few kilograms over the pre-season and got myself a lot stronger because I knew I might receive more opportunities at No. 6. I'm comfortable at the weight I'm at, have adapted well to it and still feel as quick and fit as ever as well," he said.

"With Scott Fava leaving at the end of last season I had a couple of chats to Mitch and he told me that the No. 6 spot was virtually up for grabs. I wanted to grab it once I heard that, put some weight on and it's worked well so far."

It has taken some adjustment to get used to playing at blindside regularly for Hodgson, but he's tried to play the position the way he sees fit and so far his combination with David Pocock has worked a treat, especially with their work at the breakdown.

"I was always originally a No. 7 or 8 up until the end of last year and so far this season, when it has tended to be the position I'm picked for more often than not. I really enjoy it and I probably don't play it the same way as a lot of other No. 6s, so it gives me a bit of an advantage in some areas," he said.

"It's certainly a little different to the openside or No. 8 and each person has their own way of playing it, but with the Force we like to have mobile flankers and that suits the way I play. We've had a few games combining together now and it's working quite well.

"We are creating a few problems for the opposition as well and that can only be a positive. With the new laws, it's a lot more open and quick as well, and it gives you a real advantage if you can do well at the breakdown so that's what we try to do."

Despite a host of Force players signalling their intention to leave at season's end once their contracts expire, Hodgson is signed up for two more years and is delighted about it.

"I am loving my time in Perth and it feels like home for me now that I've been here for four years. I have another two to go as well, so will be here for at least six in total and I really enjoy the atmosphere of the club and city."

http://rugbywa.com.au/news/article,55422.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Way to go Hodgo, keep fit and maitain the pressure on the big names to the left of you....Have a blinder this friday too!

C'mon the

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    And we love having you here Hodgo!! You can stay around for as long as you want to especially when teamed up with Pocock and Brown.

Every time those three have started a game together this year we have won convincingly! This has been because we absolutely dominated the breakdown and gave our backs quick ball.

Am i reading to much into this?

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Sharpie said in another article that Hodgo epitomised the team and you think to yourself: If only the rest of the team was a bit more like him. The guy is an incredible role model as rugby player. Quiet achiever, hard working and the fact that he didn't piss about with contracts and just got done with and has his mind back putting in a man of the match performance shows that he is worth more than what we are probably paying for him.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Excellent work this season Matt.
    You have fitted in well with the rugby scene here in the West, both Club, and Force.
    I believe you have been the stand out player in all games that you have played against Rocko, initially with Paly then for Wanneroo.
    Keep up the good work, and work ethic.

vCash
    Watch him in a wanneroo game this season, thats if he doesnt make the wallabies squad, he does so much work in the rucks and when he gets his hands on the ball you always get it back out on your side of the ruck.

But if you dont look for him you never notice him.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Thats another thing I missed in my Hodgson-love-a-thon. He puts in the time with the WA clubs.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Thats what we, i.e WA Rugby needs- Having skilled, determined, hard working blokes like Hodgo getting down to the grass roots and showing the way can only be good! ONYA Hodgo.
    Make a great captain...

vCash
    Yeah, but Normie, the whole backrow would make good captains......who do you pick?

C'mon the

Champion
    vCash
    also turned his back on pally i belaeive to go play waneroo. leaving pally with only boof. but hodgo has won force team man voted by the players every year except last season with bambam winning it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Yeah, but Normie, the whole backrow would make good captains......who do you pick?
    Is true. Hodgo- because it's a Hodgo thread? hmmm.... tough one they all have excellent leadership attributes... whoever is still around when the job comes up?!!???