Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force Score Bonus Point Win Over Reds

vCash

Western Force Score Bonus Point Win Over Reds

The Emirates Western Force have turned on the style in tonight’s Australian derby, recording a 39-7 bonus point win over the Reds at Subiaco Oval in Perth.

The home side scored five tries in a spectacular attacking exhibition built on an impressive defensive display.

The first half began with a penalty goal to Matt Giteau, despite the Reds having the majority of territory in the early going.

A superb try from James O’Connor opened the try-scoring, and when Drew Mitchell dotted down after half an hour the Force had opened up a 17-0 half time lead.

The second half also began with a Giteau penalty, and soon after a yellow card to Reds substitute Scott Higginbotham for rough play gave the home side a one man advantage for ten minutes.

The men in blue were able to take advantage, with Tamaiti Horua finishing off a neat move from a lineout to score on the hour mark. Giteau’s conversion made the lead 27-0.

Higginbotham returned, but the try-scoring did not finish there. Ryan Cross scored after being put into a yawning gap by Giteau to make it 32-0.

The Reds hit back through young winger Blair Connor, who had twice been denied by the TMO, with five minutes to go to cut the score to 32-7.

The Force had the final say on the scoreboard though, with Haig Sare barging over from five metres out as the final hooter blew. O’Connor’s conversion completed the scoring at 39-7.

Matt Hodgson was named Man of the Match, but there were stellar performances all around from the home side. David Pocock, Nathan Sharpe, Josh Valentine, Giteau and O’Connor were all heavily involved.

The Emirates Western Force will now host the Hurricanes at Subiaco Oval on Good Friday, 10 April.

By the clock:

15th Min: Emirates Western Force – Tamaiti Horua replaces Matt Hodgson (blood).

17th Min: Penalty to the Emirates Western Force kicked by Matt Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 3-0.

19th Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by James O’Connor. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 10-0.

26th Min: Emirates Western Force – Hodgson replaces Horua (blood return).

30th Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Drew Mitchell. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 17-0.

39th Min: Emirates Western Force – Sam Wykes replaces Nathan Sharpe (blood).

HALF TIME: Emirates Western Force 17 Reds 0

43rd Min: Emirates Western Force – Sharpe replaces Wykes (blood return).

44th Min: Penalty Goal to the Emirates Western Force kicked by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 20-0.

54th Min: Yellow Card to Reds’ Scott Higginbotham

55th Min: Emirates Western Force – Tamaiti Horua replaces Richard Brown.

60th Min: Emirates Western Force – Luke Holmes replaces Tai McIsaac.

61st Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Horua. Converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 27-0.

62nd Min: Emirates Western Force – AJ Whalley replaces Ben Castle.

72nd Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Ryan Cross. Not converted by Giteau. Emirates Western Force lead 32-0.

74th Min: Emirates Western Force – Junior Pelesasa and Haig Sare replace Giteau and Nick Cummins.

75th Min: Try to the Reds scored by Blair Connor. Converted by Jack McKibbon. Emirates Western Force lead 32-7.

81st Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Sare. Converted by O’Conner. Emirates Western Force lead 39-7.

FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 39 Reds 7

Emirates Western Force 39 (O’Connor, Mitchell, Horua, Cross, Sare tries; Giteau 3 cons, 2 pens, O’Connor con)

Reds 7 (Connor try; McKibbon con)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Season still alive. Nice work tonight boys!!!!!

Last edited by welshrugbyfan; 03-04-09 at 21:53.

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Hell yeah! 39-7. That makes a grand total of 10 points the Reds have scored at Subiaco oval. Let's hope that convinces those guys who are still undecided contract wise to re-sign and quick!! I think I'm losing my voice at all the shouting. WOOHOO!!!!

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Well done boys

Did you guys see how JOC tackled Digby Ioane not once but a couple of times and the rest of his game was 10/10

vCash
    Booyah!

Fantastic effort by all JOC was indeed superb and Cummins came back with some excitement. Did we shut Digby down or WHAT! He had a couple of runs but man not as many as he would have liked!!

Fabulous win guys, loved all 5 of our tries. Every man went out there with the emblem over his heart rather than stuck on his jumper and played like he meant it and I am OUTRAGEOUSLY proud to be a Western Force supporter.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    JOC and Pocock were awesome standouts for my liking. I know that we talk a lot about them on this site being the stars of the future but gees that future may only be tomorrow with the way these two go about playing.

Another player I see doing a lot of work around the breakdown and general forward play is Pek Cowan he may well earn a spot in the wallabies extended training squad this year as the back up to Robinson.

Good on you boys awesome showing I will be up at 8 tomorrow to watch the replay on fox.

Generally speaking you aren’t learning much if your lips are moving!!!

vCash
    fantastic game! nick cummins - you beauty saving those two tries.
    well played to Brownie as well. and to james o'connor! in fact, the entire team was fabulous!!!

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Great work boys, will allow myself to get excited for 24 hours!
    That is what you have been promising for so long and finally it clicked.
    In my mind the major difference between tonight and a fortnight ago was the support play, there was always at least one, if not two, player within two steps of an attacking team mate to avoid the turnovers we have been giving away. An outstanding effort to achieve this and full marks to the entire forward pack for 80 minutes of focus.
    There were no passengers tonight, that is the most satisfying thing, everyone was focused and playing for each other.
    Agreed on comments above re Pek and JO'C.
    JO'C and Crossy owned Ioane, he may have made plenty of ground but I doubt much of it was past the advantage line.
    Very impressed with JO'C, especially the subtle spray he gave Ioane when tackling him out with Cummins! He is no "kid" when he is on that pitch, he has the confidence to demand and deserve respect.
    In the cold light of day in giving votes, I doubt I can give anyone less than a six, outstanding team effort

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Veteran
    vCash
    hell yeah! the boys played well. Im a little bit worried about JOC with the bit of peroxide coming into his hair. he doesnt need that..

but!

cross, finally had a bit of impact, JOC did well with some steps. Brown and pocock were great aGAIN. not sure who came on for (i think it was) brown, but they played there heats out. and the forwards hada great game!!

Well who didn't. It is good to see (from wallabies POV) that digby can still break the line, even when everyone is watching for it. and the cover defense by some of the force forwards was great. I know i am rambling! but what can you do after JB orielly's all night!

GO FORCE!!!

vCash
    WOOHOO!!!!

Fast, fast ball out from the rucks especially in the first half, support play, running ball, hard tackling, 80 minutes. THIS is what we've been waiting for!

And was I entertained? Oh, yes indeedy

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    My Man of the Match - Pek Cowan.

Was in everything from protecting the corridor next to the ruck to halfback to first receiver.

vCash
    JOC ran down Iaone from BEHIND!!! now thats special!!
    agreed Pek for MOM he was tireless! Castle was huge in the scrums, and great support play from Brownie & Bambam!

Gits was still running sideways but the rest of the back line looked inventive.. pity about that one move with Stannners going on the inside (because gits was crabbing again) if he'd stayed wide it wouldve dropped into his lap for a try!

vCash
    After JOC caught Digby from behind and threw him down onto the ground he got up and it looked like he did thing into Digby's direction Almost saying "TAKE THAT" One thing is for sure, JOC is strong and is getting bigger every week. He is Drew's size now and he has the hart of a lion

The scrums were good as well the reds could not stand the pressure and it was the first in a long time I saw the guys enjoying scrumwork

vCash
    fantastic game!
    nick cummins was awsome just wish he got a try out of it
    he really deserves one!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    The scrums were good as well the reds could not stand the pressure and it was the first in a long time I saw the guys enjoying scrumwork
    All the more special because we gave away about 30 Kilos in the pack and never looked like losing ground. We also didn't put so much into the Set piece that we didn't have the energy to hit the breakdown.
    Quote Originally Posted by tragic View Post
    Fast, fast ball out from the rucks especially in the first half...THIS is what we've been waiting for!
    You can say that again Trg....I reckon the quick ball was what set this up. There was a couple of times early in the second where we nearly went back to the old ways, but I told them to speed it up and they listened.

Shame about the wealth of pointless kicking again
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    In my mind the major difference between tonight and a fortnight ago was the support play, there was always at least one, if not two, player within two steps of an attacking team mate to avoid the turnovers we have been giving away. An outstanding effort to achieve this and full marks to the entire forward pack for 80 minutes of focus.
    For me it was the revelation of seeing players run from depth and hit the line...The second try was my favourite, some big, straight runs, control of the breakdown and none of this swing left-swing right crap. Direct, Fast, Team rugby....it's what we're built for, we need to play more of it.

Also delighted to see Quade do NOTHING, Digby hemmed in and was most delighted by the battle between Connor and Cummins, They try would probably swing the result Blair's way in most critic's eyes, but I thought Nick did so much around the park that he actually towelled Blair up a fair bit. The try more came from the fact that QLD realised they had so little room in the middle, that they had to score out there (they weren't going to be running around the Spanner last night)

Nick could have scored if Cross had passed, he was in position for three of our tries, but not needed.

I'm watching the replay before I vote, but I suspect I'll be giving at least one Ten!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast