Thread: Horwill aims to lock out Sharpe - the trash talk outta QLD

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Horwill aims to lock out Sharpe - the trash talk outta QLD

Fit-again Queensland skipper James Horwill aims to make up for lost time by knocking Wallabies lock partner Nathan Sharpe “off his perch” on Friday night.

Horwill plays his second game back from foot surgery when he goes head-to-head with Western Force captain Sharpe in a must-win Super 14 clash for both sides at Subiaco Oval.

Nine straight starting Test appearances in the second-row before injury last year hasn’t convinced the abrasive 23-year-old he’ll be retained when Australia starts it’s international campaign in June.

Although Horwill pushed Sharpe out of the position he shared with Dan Vickerman for the previous four seasons, Horwill still sees the 31-year-old as the top dog among a long list of contenders in the Wallabies’ second-row ranks.

“He’s been one of the top locks in Australia for a long time and I’ve got to try and knock him off his perch,” he told AAP.

“I’ve got a bit to prove because I haven’t been playing with the rest of the boys and I’m trying to get back into form as quick as possible.

“He’s trying to get the better of me and I’m trying to get the better of him and I know he feels the same but at the end of the day what really matters is whose team wins on Friday night.”

Sharpe may feel he owes Horwill after the younger man was outstanding in his first match as Reds skipper in last year’s grudge match, won 29-12 by Queensland in Brisbane.

It paved the way for the 200cm, 117kg lock to start every domestic and Tri-Nations Test last season while Sharpe was actually left out of the initial tour squad to South Africa in August.

Sharpe showed he was no spent force by making a storming return in the Spring Tour in Horwill’s place, partnering Hugh McMeniman and Mark Chisholm.

“You can’t keep a good player down and the setback he had from missing the (South African) tour showed he wanted to still be there and he showed it in the best way possible,” Horwill said.

“It will be a good battle it always is.”

Horwill’s retention with veteran Van Humphries in the Reds second-row meant there was no room in the starting pack for in-form flanker Scott Higginbotham.

Coach Phil Mooney stuck with the players thumped 50-26 by the Chiefs by naming an unchanged starting team for the Perth trip.

Mooney made just one change to his bench with former Highlanders forward Ezra Taylor returning from injury to replace Tasi Luafutu.

The Force, who pillaged the Queensland playing ranks in 2005 when Sharpe was skipper, have named nine former Reds or Queensland products in their side but Mooney played down talk of a grudge match.

“I think we’ve moved on since then,” said Mooney, who is looking for Queensland to end an 18-match winless streak on the road dating back to 2006.

BRISBANE
    AAP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    De Ja Vu-uu...

Masking tape for all our players til Friday please!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    It' hardly trash talk - I think Jimmy Horwill is actually showing respect in his comments.

vCash
    Horwill needs a couple of games to get some match fitness. He'll have his hand up early in the second dig to come off whilst Sharpie keeps laying down the smack down.

Sharpe was on fire in the last game against the Sharks. Sharpe is the King

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    There must be some friendly rivilary between the Wallabies - healthy for the team - but sometimes the journos make it sound evil

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    “You can’t keep a good player down(Sharpe) and the setback he had from missing the (South African) tour showed he wanted to still be there and he showed it in the best way possible,” Horwill said.

“It will be a good battle it always is.”
    not exactly trash talking, more like praise

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Agreed - wonder if he realises that Hockings would be eying his Wallabies spot with equal hunger?

Veteran
    vCash
    hopefully hockings will do better this game, has looked a bit off last couple. though understandable considering the surgery.

vCash
    Hockings is in for a game and I really hope he performs at his best and I honestly wouldn't be suprised. I don't think he's done much noticably un-good recently. Our lineouts have been pretty decent. Hockings should be looking at being in the Wallaby squad at least. GO HOCKO!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Young bull vs Old bull..............

vCash
    Time for our locks to step up...we should be amongst the best lineout figures in the comp with the bodies we have, but it hasn't been happening so far......I guess that's pretty much the tale across the board.

I reckon this battle like any other battle won't be close, either the will get the top 6 inches right and dominate, or they won't......and won't.

I predict that if we get the mental picture right in more areas than we fail we'll win this one comfortably.....given our history this year, I'm not 100% confident.

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Young bull vs Old bull..............
    Look close nutskipper. You did posted 2 cows going moo not Bulls.

vCash
    Well the old bull won on the night