Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Brown back in pack but future clouded

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Brown back in pack but future clouded

Richard Brown will return to the back row of the Western Force scrum for Friday’s Super 14 match against Queensland Reds at Subiaco Oval.

But retaining Brown for the future is proving harder than expected for administrators trying to break a recruiting impasse. Some keenly sought forwards, inside and outside the club, are holding off committing to the Force until they learn the composition of next year’s pack — but their very reluctance to sign perpetuates the situation.

Retaining Brown and James O’Connor is a priority for the Force, but chief executive Greg Harris believes the dam of caution is unlikely to burst until a big-name tighthead prop is signed.

The Force have approached Tim Fairbrother of the Hurricanes and Waratahs veteran Matt Dunning. If either commits, the Force expects in quick succession answers from NSW hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, Brumbies forward Peter Kimlin and Brown.

“Players with Wallabies aspirations want to know they’ll be part of a decent pack,” Harris said yesterday.

Also interested in the forward unit are Stormers fly-half Peter Grant and Tahs scrum-half Brett Sheehan, who has been sounded out should Josh Valentine opt to move from Perth.

Because Fairbrother holds an Australian passport, Grant is the Force’s projected international marquee player for 2010.

Test No. 8 Brown will be named this morning to play for the first time since he suffered an injured shoulder when scoring a try in round three.

Last weekend’s bye allowed several injured players to heal.

Of the regular starters, only fullback Cameron Shepherd and prop Gareth Hardy are unavailable.

Lock Sam Wykes will contend for a place for the first time after returning from a shoulder reconstruction and wing Nick Cummins has recovered from a hamstring strain.

The Force and the Reds have only two wins from six matches and are 11th and 12th on the ladder. Although the Force have a mathematical chance of qualifying for the play-offs, a more realistic goal is to improve on last year’s 7-6 record.

Even that won’t be easy, requiring five wins from their last seven matches. That two are in South Africa and another in Sydney is of little consequence to the Force, who struggle more to play to their potential at Subiaco Oval than they do on the road.

Their recent loss to the Sharks dropped their home record to seven wins and a draw in 22 matches. Perhaps the most important person to the Force now is not a tighthead prop seeking a well-paid billet next year but sports psychologist Neil McLean.
    DAVE HUGHES

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=133557

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Brown has the opportunity to stand up and make a name for himself at the Force. He should have the ambition that he is good enough to attract quality players around him. If he hasn't got the minerals, he should move back to QLD. We want life takers and heart breakers in our pack

Controversy corner

vCash
    He is looking for the best offer... I think he moving on...

vCash
    You say that about everyone.
    Of course he is looking for a good deal, rugby is his job, his livelihood. No one wants to work for pittance and if he can get a better than average deal to stay here then why settle for average.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    You say that about everyone.
    Of course he is looking for a good deal, rugby is his job, his livelihood. No one wants to work for pittance and if he can get a better than average deal to stay here then why settle for average.
    No Laura I don't.... Brown is a man with opportunities... he can choose... thats just being realistic... he still may choose to stay and be coached under Mitchell...

vCash
    I doubt the Force are offering him a pittance
    His signature is a priority and the cheque book is blank. He fills in the number. If that's not a good deal, it isn't the money. His heart is somewhere else so go and don't let the door hit you in the @rse on the way out. The Force moves on.

Controversy corner

vCash
    bloody hell, some of you need to be a bit more respectful towards the players who are leaving. How easy it is to forget that the Force was built only a few years ago on players signed from all over the country, now that some of them are leaving they are been criticised.

vCash
    No criticism
    Brown is a very good player but if he wants out, send him packing. You don't build a winning team with people that don't want to be here

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:09 ----------

Furthermore, all this uncertainty is bad for team harmony. Since they have had months to think about it already, it's James Bond needs to know time. You've got a week to sign on the dotted line or we'll cut you. How bloody long does it take. If it's the price, the Force will make it right. If it's not the price, you don't want to be here. Hit the road jack. Drop off the key Lee.

Controversy corner

vCash
    well comments like these "don't let the door hit you in the @rse on the way out" seem a little ingrateful for the effort that browny has put in over the years, he hasnt even said that he is leaving and already 'animiosity' is been directed at him.

How many times have you changed jobs Rex?

These players have lives rex, they have to look at there future after rugby as well, they have to do what is also best for there family. Its not as easy as throwing a bit of paper at someone, and saying "sign up for the next 3 years or get lost", thats not a fair way of dealing with you players.

Its in my honest opinion, that you shouldnt be angry at the players for leaving rex, you should be angry at the club, and questioning why these players feel the need to leave and how they can fix it.

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    Get your hand outa ya pants Lance.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Some people are employees and some are employers.
    If an employee doesn't want to be in an organisation, they are lazy, incompetent, unmotivated, standards slide and effort is poor. You don't want them. Hop on the bus Gus. Get on the bus or get off.

Player power is a communist ideology

Management has to manage. All this "will he or won't he" reeks of weak leadership. Change starts at the top. Time for the broom

Controversy corner

vCash
    I think for the most part players have nothing to do with what's been said about their contracts. By that I mean every week the media is publishing a new version of the same story eg. Drew Mitchell is going to the Brumbies, Drew Mitchell is going to the Tahs, Drew Mitchell is going to the Reds etc. Since yesterday's article quoting Drew saying "I still haven't decided yet" the focus has moved on to Brownie.
    I have no doubt in my mind that the rumours will go through every single high-profile player whose contract is up at the end of this season and probably speculation about those whose contact's aren't up til the end of 2010.

vCash
    I'm not angry at players
    I'm saying if they want to leave, send them packing. No point having unmotivated people hanging around for their pay cheque. You might end up 12th on the ladder with QLD

Controversy corner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    Some people are employees and some are employers.
    If an employee doesn't want to be in an organisation, they are lazy, incompetent, unmotivated, standards slide and effort is poor. You don't want them. Hop on the bus Gus. Get on the bus or get off.

Player power is a communist ideology

Management has to manage. All this "will he or won't he" reeks of weak leadership. Change starts at the top. Time for the broom
    theres a difference between not wanting to be in a organisation and taking up a better offer at another organisation. Its also extremely different if the next job you take is linked to the old organisation. I work in a job in a extremely connected industry, if i perform poorly, then the word will spread, if im a gun(naturally) then people also know about it.

I imagine that playing S14 in australia would probably be a lot more connected then my industry as well, for Browns sake, he has the motivation to peform highly so he can represent the wallabies at the end of the year.

I doubt motivation and eagerness are much of a issue.

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Messup View Post
    I'm not angry at players
    I'm saying if they want to leave, send them packing. No point having unmotivated people hanging around for their pay cheque. You might end up 12th on the ladder with QLD
    have you actually seen the table lately? the force are below qld

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laura View Post
    I think for the most part players have nothing to do with what's been said about their contracts. By that I mean every week the media is publishing a new version of the same story eg. Drew Mitchell is going to the Brumbies, Drew Mitchell is going to the Tahs, Drew Mitchell is going to the Reds etc. Since yesterday's article quoting Drew saying "I still haven't decided yet" the focus has moved on to Brownie.
    I have no doubt in my mind that the rumours will go through every single high-profile player whose contract is up at the end of this season and probably speculation about those whose contact's aren't up til the end of 2010.
    If he was staying, he'd have signed on the dotted line. If you want it, you jump at it and you don't dribble disingenuous discourse like "I haven't made my mind up". Does anybody remember Giteau saying the same thing whilst he was trying to weasel out of his contract?

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time

Controversy corner

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast