Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: The "Next Step" for Club Rugby in WA

vCash
    Plus: You'd think Mandurah will continue to grow - and they are moving to swanky new grounds/clubrooms next year (I think). The Mandurah area might be considered a feeder to Rockingham but I think the blood between them and Rocky is almost as bad as that between Wanneroo/Joondalup.

What to do, what to do.........

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    Good option Gigs but We must reduce the number of clubs By doing so you will have more members more teams so more fees
    Currently it looks like every man and his dog starting a club for what reason I do not know

I have to travel 20km to Baysies and 20km back home 2 times a week for training but that is not a reason to start another club where I stay
    Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    GIGS
    If RugbyWA took up that suggestion...."maybe run Premier clubs in a fully self-contained premier comp with a second tier comp run exclusively amongst the others...." then it would be a return to the old District/Premier Comp days.
    Anyone who was around in those days would know how hard it was for the District Clubs to recruit and retain players.
    Lets face it. Why would a good player, unless loyal to his club, stay with one that is playing lower grade rugby when he could move to a Prem grade side.
    There has been a suggestion that the 3/4 grade clubs become feeders for the Premier Grade clubs in their areas.
    Sounds good on paper but realistically unworkable.
    Both great points....I did say it wasn't really a thought through proposal. I have a bit of an idea the passion with which some of the non-premier clubs plead their case though......hard to ignore people being passionate about their club!

What to do? What to do?

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    Plus: You'd think Mandurah will continue to grow - and they are moving to swanky new grounds/clubrooms next year (I think). The Mandurah area might be considered a feeder to Rockingham but I think the blood between them and Rocky is almost as bad as that between Wanneroo/Joondalup.

What to do, what to do.........
    is that a recent thing......we picked up a good few juniors from them after moving to Lark Hill (Closer to home was the most common reason)

We did lose some to clubs like Lions as well, I guess for similar reasons.

We always get on well with Pirates at Junior level, not so sure about the grades though

C'mon the

vCash
    It should be run as a business. That is the only way to the future If we want to retain our Force contracted players in the club comp then being nice to every tom dick and harry with a club room just ain't gonna cut it.

Apprentice
    vCash

Thumbs up

This is how the future competion should look.

Perth Premier Rugby
    1st 2nds u20s
    WANNEROO
    SOAKS
    NEDLANDS
    KALAMUNDA
    COTTESLOE
    BAYSWATER
    PALMYRA
    UNI

Wa Rugby
    WESTS
    ROCKY
    MANDURAH
    JOONDALUP
    ARKS
    CURTAIN-SOUTHERN LIONS
    These teams can all play the curtain lions team would be very competive merger side in this comp .Wests and rocky would lose a lot of there better players so i think these teams would be very even.
    The final 2 sides in this comp are tough.
    I think with a little funding BUNBURY could challenge so i ll give them a spot.
    Midland , dunsborough , kalgoorlie are the contenders. midland will get smashed so there out. dunsborough or kal ..... id have to give to country cup champs KALGOORLIE
    on shear population i know its a long way but you d only have to go there once a year and what a bus trip!!!The winner of this comp plays bottom team in promotion game
    end of season. NOW THATS THE NEXT STEP IN CLUB RUGBY FOR WA -TO EASY!!!

vCash
    What does the club coaches, players and reporters think ( any interested sponsor OUT THERE as well)

ella10
    Fulvio
    Rick
    gooney
    pruc

to mention a few

tell us your views

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Er, Kal would have to make the trip to Perth 8 times at least plus finals.....?

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

This is not all that different from the Premier/District competition, except the first division clubs don't play the second division in any grade, which is an advantage.

My personal preference is to do without the second div. altogether, and perhaps extend the seniors to 10 teams to accomodate the Rockingham catchment area and one other if thought necessary. Preferably, I think the optimum number is 8 teams.

Quite frankly, I think the second division teams would be better served having their own separate union if they insist on continuing to exist when they are not viable in so many ways. Join with the majors or be cast adrift is my brutal opinion.

Most of these clubs started up on the dishonest assurance they only wanted to operate as clubs for junior players. They were accepted on that basis by a Union that always knew there was no room for additional clubs in the senior competition.

There is absolutly no reason RugbyWA should upset the senior comp, which has been operating for 100 years, in order to pander to the egos of at most a few disaffected former members of senior clubs and the parents of juniors who have no real knowledge of rugby, but who are influenced by and dragged along by people with an agenda which has little to do with the promotion of rugby.

vCash

Thumbs up

I was invited to a backyard shindig by one of my neighbors. He's not a rugby player, and usually I only associate with rugby players and hot chicks but I decided to make an exception. I called up Elliot and kalafan and we headed to the barbecue.
    A scrawny ectomorph who was built like ecky was manning the barbecue, cooking up some greasy double cheeseburgers. I was having none of that. "End of the line, cupcake" I told him. I took the toothpick out of my mouth and threw it into his face, Razor Ramon style. "We own this barbecue now."

I knocked the greasy burgers over and reached into the cooler kalafan had brought, pulling out three steaks, each bigger than most of the quads of the partygoers. "Hey Mr. O'Sullivan," I said to my neighbor, "Looks like we got the protein we need for meal #6 of today, but I'm gonna need some high GI carbs as well. Why don't you run in the house and get me some potatoes. I know you got 'em in there, you Irish f**k." He looked horrified and said nothing. I took off my aviators and looked him in the eye. "Now."

After wolfing down the potatoes and steak, along with a Mega Shake and a few beers, I surveyed the situation, and it looked pretty grim. Then I saw her. A tall sexy red head playing volleyball. "See something you like, Action?", Elliot asked. "Yeah. Something real nice" I said, a cigar hanging out of my mouth.

I headed over to said red head, flared my lats and rolled up for the approach.

Action Hardcore: Sup baby?
    Red Head: Hey there!
    Action Hardcore: Who are you here with?
    Red Head: This is my dad's house!
    Action Hardcore: You're Mr. O'Sullivan's daughter?
    Red Head: That's right.

Mr. O'Sullivan came over at this point. "Please, Mr Hardcore, leave my daughter alone, she's only 16 years old! Please!"

I promised him, but about an hour later his daughter approached again.

Red Head: This party is bogus man! I wish there was some weed around here, or maybe some beers.
    Action Hardcore: Well, cupcake, I just happen to have a six pack right here. (I lifted up my shirt and showed her my abs. She melted and started making out with me, needless to say one thing led to another and we wind up doin the hibbidy dibbidy. banged her twice.

Mr. O'Sullivan came out to yell at Kalafan, Elliot, and I as we left. "You prick! You promised!" I lowered my aviators and glared at him. "At least now you know to never again trust a rugby player."

He began talking about pressing charges. Kalafan went over and threw him into his front door. His daughter was begging me to take her to her highschool ball.

I lit up a cigar and crawled into my beamer. "Let's get some rest boys," I told Kalafan and Elliot. "Tomorrow is game day."

And that my friends is what rugby's all about. Keepin it real.

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No idea wtf that has to do with the future of the Club scene but it had me laughing

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah it's a little cryptic mate but sums up the situation pretty well. If you read it a few times you might get it.

Hint: We might look at Action Hardcore as being rugbywa.

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Bummer, here's me giving you kudos for supporting the beef industry and pleasuring a ginga

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    It's a true story just fits the situation well. I love ginga's.

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    Yeah, getting RugbyWA to do anything is always a hypothetical. unless you want to start up another bogus rugby club.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the magic View Post
    This is how the future competion should look.

I think with a little funding BUNBURY could challenge so i ll give them a spot.
    Midland , dunsborough , kalgoorlie are the contenders. midland will get smashed so there out. dunsborough or kal ..... id have to give to country cup champs KALGOORLIE
    on shear population i know its a long way but you d only have to go there once a year and what a bus trip!!!The winner of this comp plays bottom team in promotion game
    end of season. NOW THATS THE NEXT STEP IN CLUB RUGBY FOR WA -TO EASY!!!

Should be a Southwest 'rep' team playing in perth comp with colts and ONE seniors side with the likes of bunbury barbarians, bunbury bulls, margs, collie, dunsborough forming a pretty strong SW comp and then feeding players into 'rep' side.

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Apprentice
    vCash
    Not bad base plan there magic.

i am happy with the premier set up which ever clubs are in it.
    Its that second tier comp thats got everyone stumped your idea looks pretty good on paper i think having a country side either kalgoorlie team or dunsborough- south west side is a great idea.

Couple of questions for you the magic.

1. Would a "country side" have the numbers and $$$
    2. What about 3rds 4ths u18 ?
    3. Would a merger club work?
    4. How could you stop players leaving a relegated club

Answer those tough ones and well all be with you

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast