Thread: Mumm's the word among rival provinces

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mumm's the word among rival provinces

Bret Harris | March 31, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE rise of Dean Mumm in Australian rugby over the last 12 months has not gone unnoticed and both the Brumbies and Western Force are showing strong interest in the NSW forward.

After making his Super 14 debut in 2007, Mumm has played in all but one of the Waratahs' matches in the last two and a half years in the second row or at blindside flanker. He was rewarded with his first Wallaby cap against Ireland last year and has now played in eight Tests.

Mumm, 25, is regarded as one of the senior members of the Waratahs pack and his versatility is making him a prime target for other Super 14 teams.

"I've had a couple of provinces interested," Mumm said. "I suppose if you are playing good rugby, people are going to be interested in you.

"I love the Waratahs and I certainly enjoy playing here, but when these aspects come up, you have to have a look around. You have a look and you formulate a decision from there.

"You give everything consideration. If they show interest in you, it's probably right to reciprocate that. You take everything and you put it on a sheet and work out where you want to go from there. The next couple of weeks I'd like to get it wrapped up."

Mumm has been one of the Waratahs' most consistent performers this season. The team needed him to step up after the departure of veteran Wallabies Dan Vickerman, Rocky Elsom and David Lyons. He has played a valuable role in helping the Waratahs stay in the top four for the first half of the season.

"I'm very happy with the way we are going," Mumm said. "It was a very positive win (against the Blues in Auckland last Friday) for us. It reaffirms the confidence in the way we are playing.

"It gives us confidence to go forward and attack in the next three games (Stormers, Bulls and Force) head-on because it's very important for us to go well in these games, leading into what may be a tough trip in South Africa."

Mumm identified the breakdown as the key area in the Waratahs' match with the Stormers in Sydney on Saturday night.

"Obviously, the Stormers are a very good side," Mumm said. "They have some wonderful players.

"The breakdown is going to very important. They are a very good side on the ball. Even their outside backs are good on the ball like (Jean) de Villiers and those sort of fellas.

"It's important for us to be pretty sharp at the breakdown and also they are very good attacking-wise."

The Stormers are a very talented team with a lot of Springboks, but their form has fluctuated wildly.

"You never know what you are going to get with them, do you?" NSW winger Lote Tuqiri said. "It depends how they are feeling. They are a bit like the Blues as well, at times. They can come out and put 40 or 50 on you.

"Over the last few years our games have been quite close. We are similar to an extent in how we play defence and everything else.

"It will be the team that turns up and we have been turning up this year. We have been quite consistent with that and hopefully we can get over the top of them on Saturday."

Tuqiri said five-eighth Daniel Halangahu did a good job running the backline in his first start of the season in Auckland and expects him to get another opportunity at number 10 against the Stormers.

"Hangers got his chance and he took it," Tuqiri said. "He'll probably get another chance to keep going and improve on what he did last week. He's in a good place at the moment."

Halfback Luke Burgess will not train with the team until Thursday as he tries to recover from a severe corked thigh sustained in Auckland.

"Hopefully by Thursday he'll be able to join in team training. We are still confident he'll be right for Saturday," NSW coach Chris Hickey said.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I'm not sold on him, dunno why, just hasn't stood out compared to the likes of Caldwell for mine.

I'd be more interested in sounding out the likes of Sekope Kepu and Chris Thomson.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I can't understand why we're looking for locks. Sharpie seems to be interested in a few more years, Tom and Beef are both the duck's guts and don't seem to be going anywhere......where does Mumm fit?

C'mon the

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Have to agree. Mind you, they need to at least look in case someone bails...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    NEWS FLASH: No Room For Mums At Western Force!

Sub Editor- "Yeah, that looks great. That'll sell some copy."

Journo- "You dickhead!"

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    So who is chancing him the Force and the Reds? Brumbies? Or is His manager talking him up?

vCash
    did you read the article?

Probably fishing for more coin from the Tahs
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    did you read the article?

Probably fishing for more coin from the Tahs
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Yes i read it... I asking for an opinion

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    We may not need him as a lock but we could definitely use him as a blindside flanker. I mean Horua's gone, Pusey is touted to be leaving and both Stanford and Brown are uncommitted past this season. Sam Wykes is a definite option but we can't just rely on him alone. Better than nothing in my opinion.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Possibly, but Rocky's free, If we're looking for a blindside, I'd be giving his manager a call first!

C'mon the

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Possibly, but Rocky's free, If we're looking for a blindside, I'd be giving his manager a call first!
    good call...get us a top quality blindside...instead of playing three opensides like we seem to be persisting with...

coz Stone Cold says so

Veteran Bookie
    Contributor
    vCash
    Mumm i dont rate. Find some grunt up front, would be a better option for us.

the punters friend..... stick with me and you will be wearing