Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Troubled Western Force targets Matt Dunning

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Troubled Western Force targets Matt Dunning

AFTER weeks of being on desperate defence attempting to retain Wallabies James O'Connor, Rich-ard Brown and Drew Mitchell, the Western Force has switched onto the offensive in a bid to lure Waratahs Test prop Matt Dunning to Perth.

Force chief executive Greg Harris met yesterday with Dunning in Sydney to try to persuade the 44-Test front-rower that his best chance of playing in his third World Cup campaign in 2011 was to switch from a sky blue jersey to one that is ocean blue.

It is difficult to pinpoint where Dunning sits in the pecking order of NSW props after he was forced to sit out this year's entire Super 14 because of a snapped achilles tendon, an injury he blames on the unstable surface provided at Wembley for the final match of the Wallabies' spring tour, against the Barbarians last December.

Arguably he has slid to third-choice prop on both sides of the scrum, with Benn Robinson and Sekope Kepu the preferred looseheads and Al Baxter and Dan Palmer ranked ahead of him on the tighthead side.

Harris made it clear yesterday that Dunning would be the man the Force would build its pack around next season if he decides to end his NSW career just one cap short of bringing up a century of appearances for the Waratahs.

"Our absolute priority is to get a tighthead sewn up," said Harris, who confirmed the club's marquee player, Kiwi tighthead Ben Castle, would be moving on at the end of this season's Super 14. It is understood Castle is attempting to secure a contract in Europe.

Adding further impetus to the search for a rock-solid prop on the right-hand side of the scrum is the fact that the Force is set to lose Tai McIsaac who, like World Cup winger Scott Staniforth, intends to play in Japan next year.

"Someone with Matt's number of Test caps would be very appealing to us," Harris said. "NSW have at least four other quality props but I suspect Matt wants to play in the 2011 World Cup and I reckon he'd have a better chance of doing that by starting for us rather than coming off the bench for the Waratahs."

Indications are that Dunning dramatically has slid down the ARU's ranking list for top-ups. It is understood that of the ARU's 20 highest-paid players, 13 are forwards and that almost half that number are front-rowers and it may well be that the emergence of such exciting young props as the Brumbies' Ben Alexander, Kepu, Palmer and Queensland Reds pair Laurie Weekes and Ben Daley means Dunning might be squeezed out of a ARU top-up.

If Dunning chooses to remain in Australia and not take a contract in Europe, he would be forced to accept a slightly-enhanced Super 14 contract from the Waratahs. Only in Perth would Dunning be likely to attract any third-party sponsorship.

Matt Giteau's announcement that he will be returning to Canberra to play for the Brumbies next year has made it imperative for the Force to quickly get a big-name signature - be it Dunning, O'Connor, Brown or Mitchell - on a contract to head off a potential mass exodus of stars.

Harris will be speaking later today with O'Connor's agent Anthony Piccone, pitching to him the scenario that with Giteau going, the 18-year-old Test sensation now could become the public face of the Force.

And with such foundation players as McIsaac and Staniforth moving on, the opportunity is there for O'Connor and Test flanker David Pocock to head a new generation at the Force.

The Reds again will fall back on Daley at loosehead after Greg Holmes failed to recover in time for his neck and shoulder injuries to take his place in the side to play the Chiefs at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday night.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    At least they arent targetting Trestle.

And we sure as hell need some grunt up front.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    Something I get passionate about is how some franchises horde talent (the Force included, wingers!). Why do the Tahs have 3 of the top 6 Tighthead Props in Australia when other teams have no one and this means that in any one week a potential Wallabies player doesn’t play even if he is fit and raring to go! Surely this is to the Detriment of Australian Rugby and the younger talent pool that can benefit from the experiences of these guys.

In my humble opinion the sooner the ARU brings in a Draft or something similar to spread the talent to all teams the better all teams will become and keeping the ultimate goal in mind the better the Wallabies chances of filling the trophy cabinet.

Rookie
    vCash
    i dont really think it is hording is it?
    they have only had dunning & baxter for a long time, they developed robinson & got kepu last year. the force could have signed palmer who is the young up and coming prop who has been holding his own at the tahs this year but we looked overseas and payed extra for short term gain.
    maybe as has been said many times here, we plan for the next few years instead of tomorrow!

vCash
    NOOOOOO!

when they keep glancing over at me i know they think iam cute and are checking me out -Kalafan 10/3/10

i have difficulty in my life. alot of girls like me but i cannot ask them out. i think they like me cause i am good looking and have a nice smile.- kalafan 3/7/10

FREE LINDSAY

Born TROLLIN

vCash
    Hmm wonder how many new Doughnut shops we will get .....

The scrum has improved out of sight this year - wonder if the attraction of the new coaching staff in that area must be attractive.

Find it hard to believe that they move souly for money - there must be some thought into career development as well.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    I'm sure he wouldn't commit until Krispy Kreme have opened at least one store here in Perth.

He would have to provide, beyond reasonable doubt, that his achilles has fully healed & that he is 100%. These injuries are notoriously hard to recover from fully, especially with 120kg weighing down on them.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    Dunno but the Miami Bakehouse in Falcon have recently opened a factory in Mandurah to crank out many more of their multi award winning pies. They will supply new outlets in Perth and Mandurah and have most bases covered. They must have reliable sauces.

But being completely serious. The Force should offer some serious Giteau/Mitchell money to get Castle and Tai to stay. If he's not signed to go to Europe again. Hopefully the Billy Bunter story is just a tactic.

Last edited by shasta; 26-03-09 at 08:03.
    "The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    you've got to be kidding me..

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    I'm sure he wouldn't commit until Krispy Kreme have opened at least one store here in Perth.
    Heard on the radio this week that they will be opening a store in Perth soon! I've never worked out what's so special about Krispy Kreme though.

Do we really need Dunning - isn't there some local talent we can use instead?

Laugh and the world laughs with you.......
    ......cry and you'll weaken your beer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by eleypinkbit View Post
    Heard on the radio this week that they will be opening a store in Perth soon! I've never worked out what's so special about Krispy Kreme though.

Do we really need Dunning - isn't there some local talent we can use instead?
    Either have I Eley

Truthfully, no, there probably isn't the local talent (assuming he did fully recover from the injury), but somehow I can't see myself forming the words "Go Donut!"

vCash
    all this depneds on how much he wants to figure for the Wallabies in 2011, espeacially if he loses his ARU top up. He can either stay and attempt win it back or piss off to Europe if an offer from the North comes his way. Are the Northern Clubs keen on Aussie Front Rowers at the moment?

vCash
    Rich-ard Brown....

Who cares, stop presuming and guessing what could happen. Is there going to be an article titled "Troubled Western Force targets ......." everytime they realise a player is off contract? Get a new title for starters and then maybe find some facts and if there aren't any, write about something else!

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Browny will stay...will be sad to see Tai leave - he's been a warrior for us

Not that fussed on Castle leaving - he's a mercenary and was only gonna be here for a year...Bring on big Dunning - he'll be a great replacement (would prefer Baxter though)

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    The Dunning is awesome. Packs Scrums, kicks goals, eats pies.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast