Thread: Read shows passion is a four-letter word

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Read shows passion is a four-letter word

Greg Growden | March 23, 2009

MONDAY MAUL

You had to be quick to pick it up, but it was a classic television moment. At the end of the Waratahs-Crusaders match, the visiting skipper Kieran Read was asked by the Fox Sports interviewer how he felt about the win.

It was understandable that Read was excited, relieved and animated, as the Crusaders have had a wacky season so far, punctuated by unexpected defeats. A win over the Waratahs had put the Super 14 titleholders back on track.

When asked what had prompted the form turnaround, Read replied: "We knew we would have it over them if we played with a bit of width. We played with the ball, and it was f---ing great."

As soon as Read had said the F-word, he suddenly realised where he was. He produced a stunned look, like a mischievous five-year-old who had been discovered pilfering his sister's presents on Christmas Eve. The reaction was pure gold.

Read sheepishly made a quick exit right, before a filthy Phil Waugh was brought in, and the Waratahs skipper went for the barb. When asked if the Waratahs, with two losses in a row, were under pressure, Waugh snapped back: "The only pressure is coming from you blokes."

Oh no, those mongrels in the media are again the big problem out in Waratahland.
    But it is the memory of Read's faux pas that will remain, and will comfort the hearts of all those interviewers and media types who have grown sick and tired of the modern player, who has been brainwashed by the team spin doctors into saying the bleeding obvious.

Yeah, we know the score is on the scoreboard, that they take the season one week at a time, that they can't get ahead of themselves, that it was all due to their teammates, and that they don't read the papers. Sure, sure, sure. But all that is seriously boring.

So when a player tells it as it really is, and gives a brief glimpse of how much the win means, it revitalises your belief in the human spirit.

Sadly, this doesn't happen too often. That's why the rugby "oops" moments have lived long in the memory. Such as when All Blacks forward Peter Jones came off the field during the epic 1956 series against the Springboks, and announced live on radio: "I'm absolutely buggered." Pretty risque stuff. The oh-so-conservative Shaky Isles blushed.

And the legendary Rex "The Moose" Mossop who, before making his name in the league playing and broadcasting ranks was a feared Wallaby, is reputed to have said when beckoned to the microphone after Australia won the 1949 Bledisloe Cup series: "Hi Dad! Hi Mum! Hi Kirk! We've beaten the bastards. You beauty!"

Microphones have always been a problem when Australian and New Zealand teams confront each other. When the 1949 New Zealand Maori team toured Australia, the Australian Rugby Union decided on the innovation of placing microphones on the sideline. A great idea until Maori hooker Kingi Matthews bellowed out before a scrum. "Put the f---ing ball in!" His words reverberated around the SCG, and shortly afterwards the microphones disappeared.

In 1934, ground microphones even inspired a Wallabies win over the All Blacks. Australia were down 11-6 at the SCG. During the break, a radio microphone was brought out onto the field, and the New Zealand manager A.J. Geddes sent a message to those listening at home, that they had the game in the bag. According to Geddes, the longer the Test went on, the further the All Blacks would forge ahead. The Australians heard it, vowed revenge, and won 25-11.

We can only hope for more Read moments. It's a reminder that the players are not battery hens, and that to triumph is actually f---ing great.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...656770640.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    That's seven letters. Growden you're a muppet

Last edited by Flamethrower; 23-03-09 at 08:14.
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I heard it, was quite funny. He got to about "c" and realised what he was saying but it was too late

Marto also misrepresented Cro Magnon a little, the pressure in his response should have read in inverted comma's, he was being sarcastic and went on to say the camp was fine, the alledged pressure was a media beat up.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Notice the examples are going from later years to earlier years. Any game or quotes from games in 1863?

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Billy Webb-Ellis Why the f$%k should the ball stay on the ground!

C'mon the

vCash
    Now in AFL when that happens there is a fine or something. I really don't think it's necessary to say that kind of rubbish. I know most people do, ESPECIALLY Australians gosh we use language here, but rugby is a family game and a Skipper is the man you want to represent your team and honestly that's not what you want the little crusader fans to be looking up to and wanting to be like, it's just not very nice.

Waugh - what a joke mate. HTFU try being a force player! Or not actually...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I really don't think it's necessary to say that kind of rubbish
    err.., robyn - what does HTFU mean?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    err.., robyn - what does HTFU mean?
    I know what it means but I'm not on live TV... I didn't know until like 2 weeks ago

I guess I meant not that kind of rubbish on TV not just not that rubbish.. if that makes sense

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry