Thread: Brumbies bank on keeping George Smith, but not Mark Gerrard

vCash

Post Brumbies bank on keeping George Smith, but not Mark Gerrard

THE Brumbies are confident of retaining Wallabies openside flanker George Smith, but seem resigned to losing former Test outside back Mark Gerrard.

Smith, arguably the most skilful forward to play for the Wallabies, is considering lucrative offers from French clubs.

He is expected to make a decision about his future after the Brumbies return from their three-week tour of South Africa. "I'm reasonably confident George will continue to play for the Wallabies and the Brumbies for another couple of years at least," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said.

"He is weighing up overseas offers, but the enjoyment and desire to play in Australia is pretty strong."

Fagan was less sure about Gerrard remaining in Canberra. Gerrard has played 23 Tests since his debut against Italy in 2005, but he was overlooked by new Wallabies coach Robbie Deans last year.

If Gerrard cannot secure an ARU top-up to his Super 14 contract, it would be an incentive for him to play overseas.

Gerrard has played well this season, particularly in the Brumbies' home games.

"Mark is looking at some overseas options," Fagan said. "There is a good chance he will go. Whether he stays or goes, he has given us outstanding service." Meanwhile, Smith has been named captain for the Brumbies' opening game of their South African tour against the Lions in Johannesburg tomorrow (AEDT).

Smith will also tie former Wallabies hooker Jeremy Paul as the third-most-capped Brumbies player in his 112th Super rugby appearance.

With Stephen Hoiles injured, coach Andy Friend had a choice between Smith and Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock, who stepped down from the ACT side's leadership role this season.

While Smith is a reluctant captain, he leads by example and Mortlock will provide leadership anyway.

"George is a good option for us as captain," Friend said. "Stirling offers a lot because of the personality he is. He is in a happy spot at the moment so rather than change that, I thought I'd give more responsibility to George."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash
    You wouldn't want to upset Stirling's happy spot.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    IMHO stirling played better when he was captaining the side... at odds with most peoples thinking that captaincy takes away from performances...

vCash
    Why would you want to keep Gerrard anyway?

Cut him loose!!!

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    its cases like these where a salary cap would be more beneficial, whilst his contribution to the wallabies is limited, he is contribution to the Brumbies is massive, I see Gerrard as been the most important member of the Brumbies backline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    its cases like these where a salary cap would be more beneficial, whilst his contribution to the wallabies is limited, he is contribution to the Brumbies is massive, I see Gerrard as been the most important member of the Brumbies backline.
    agree he is an important player for the Brumbies... I would like to see him stick around for a few years yet... his only about 25-26... with no australia A this year its Wallabies or zero...

SNK has already taken a foreign offer i guess there will be more... Its no good for S14 squad depth loosing fringe Wallaby players...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And imagine an APC with players of his standing playing in it...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    hopefully he stays. but from the tone of the quotes in that article whether they are in context or not i dont know. but it seems like the brumbies dont care either way towards gerrard.
    i hope i'm interpreting that wrong though. because thats a horrible attitude to have towards someone who represented his country. and who is invauable to the brumbies backline

Player
    vCash
    That would be poo if he goes as it would open up the possibility of O'Connor at fullback... :-(

vCash
    Gerrard's looking overseas

ACT Brumbies fullback Mark Gerrard admits there is a ''huge possibility'' he could continue his rugby career overseas next year.
    Gerrard, 26, has a year remaining on his contract with the Brumbies but The Sunday Canberra Times understands he has a get-out clause if he doesn't make the Wallabies squad.

Australian coach Robbie Deans will announce an extended Wallabies squad in early June and if Gerrard who is in arguably career-best form is not named, it could prove the catalyst for an international switch.

''I'm 26, I've got two kids and a wife and I've got to look for what's best for the family,'' he said.

''I don't hold any grudges against Australian rugby at all. I probably was a little bit disappointed last year that I wasn't in the Wallabies mix but shit happens, doesn't it.

''It would be a bit sad if I had to leave this because I love it here at the Brumbies, probably more so now than I ever have, but life is life and you have to do what's best for you and your family.

''That said, I'm just really concentrating on the Brumbies at the moment and hopefully having a successful season with them and that other stuff really isn't a priority or even in the back of my mind at the moment.''

Gerrard, along with flanker George Smith, has been the Brumbies' most consistent player in 2009.

His kicking game has kept the team in matches at key points in the opening month of the Super 14 while his defence has been peerless.

Gerrard had a self-confessed ''lazy'' season last year. But he believed the new coaching staff at the Brumbies had given him the freshen-up he needed to reinvigorate his career.

''I've been too lazy both physically and mentally the past probably two seasons,'' Gerrard said.

''I was just going with the flow, rocking up and playing a game of rugby, and that's really bad.

''But I had a good chat with the coaching staff here in the off-season and they've really turned me around. I'm trying to do all the little things much better now, I'm more focused, I'm taking a more mature approach to the game and I'm probably wanting to play rugby more than I ever have.''

Brumbies coach Andy Friend has been impressed with Gerrard's form this season.

Friend was adamant during the pre-season Gerrard would be the Brumbies' fullback this year, no matter how the rest of the back line shaped up.

Gerrard is one of only seven players in the team, along with Stephen Moore, Ben Hand, Mark Chisholm, George Smith, Christian Lealiifano and Francis Fainifo, to have started each game this season in the same position.

Friend had in-depth discussions with Gerrard during the pre-season about where his football career was and where it had the ability to be.

And he's been thrilled with the 23-time Wallaby's transformation.

''Gerrardo is playing some great footy at the moment,'' Friend said.

''He's been a real leader in the back line, I think he's derived a lot of confidence out of a solid pre-season and a good start to the year and he's playing the type of football I knew he was capable of.

''He's an integral part of our team and I hope he'll continue to play the type of footy he's been doing for the past month.''

Gerrard agreed with Friend that he's been playing quality rugby in the Brumbies' successful start to the season.

Gerrard put his improvement down to a new role Friend has given him, a role with less responsibility.

''It's quite bizarre the freedom they've given me where I pretty much just get to go out there and do my own thing,'' he said.

''I just play footy.''

And if Gerrard continues to ''just play footy'', Australian rugby may be privileged enough to see him play at Canberra Stadium for a few more years yet.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0

vCash
    I'd like him to stay at the Brumbies because of Drew and JOC like TommyM. He is playing well at the moment and there is a chance he will make the wallabies however.

2 outside backs looking overseas...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Rumor is Gerrard is of to Sale Sharks ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Rumor is Gerrard is of to Sale Sharks ...
    And Your source is? Wasn't John Mitchell a former coach there?
    Gerrard may very well go... disappointing but if thats what he wants its OK by me...

vCash
    i think gerrard possibly knows his wallaby days are over?

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force