Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Force Squad Announced for "Pink" Sharks Clash

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Force Squad Announced for "Pink" Sharks Clash

Emirates Western Force Head Coach John Mitchell has announced his team for Saturday night’s Investec Super 14 Week 6 clash with the Sharks at Subiaco Oval.

Mitchell has named six changes to the starting XV as the WA side returns to Subiaco Oval for the first time in a month after a three-match tour through Canberra, Hamilton and Christchurch.

Injuries to both starting wingers in the 23-all draw with the Crusaders last week has prompted two forced changes to the backline, while teenage back James O’Connor will run on for the first time at fullback.

92-match veteran Scott Staniforth will make his first starting appearance for the 2009 season after being called in for the injured Nick Cummins.

Staniforth confirmed his fitness with a 70-minute stint for NSW club Eastwood in a trial match in Sydney two weeks ago.

Cummins suffered a minor hamstring strain and will miss the weekend clash along with fellow flyer Cameron Shepherd who failed a fitness test on his injured ankle.

Shepherd’s number 11 jersey has been taken by Drew Mitchell, who returns to the left wing after starting the past four matches in the number 15 jersey.

O’Connor’s move to fullback has paved the way for Junior Pelesasa to return at inside centre, while Mitchell has also made two changes to his starting forward pack.

Australian Under 21s lock Tom Hockings and Australia A flanker Matt Hodgson both return to the starting lineup after a one-week stint on the reserves bench.

Hockings will partner skipper Nathan Sharpe in the second row, while Hodgson returns at number six where he started against the Brumbies three weeks ago.

Mitchell said his side had addressed its slow starts in recent matches.

“We’ve had to address our starts but being able to build and sustain pressure with the ball is something that we have to achieve more consistently in order to get results,” said Mitchell.

“Our effort to get back into the contest in the second half against the Crusaders last week was outstanding but the players are hungry to produce a complete eighty-minute performance.”

The Emirates Western Force will wear pink jerseys on field on Saturday night to raise awareness and funds for the Breast Cancer Foundation of WA (BCFWA) – RugbyWA’s chosen charity for 2009/10.

2009 Investec Super 14 Week 6

Emirates Western Force v Sharks

Saturday 21 March, 2009
    Subiaco Oval, Perth
    Kick off: 7.45pm WDST

Emirates Western Force
    1. Pek Cowan
    2. Tai McIsaac
    3. Ben Castle
    4. Tom Hockings
    5. Nathan Sharpe (c)
    6. Matt Hodgson
    7. David Pocock
    8. Tamaiti Horua

9. Josh Valentine
    10. Matt Giteau
    11. Drew Mitchell
    12. Junior Pelesasa
    13. Ryan Cross
    14. Scott Staniforth
    15. James O’Connor

Reserves
    16. Luke Holmes
    17. AJ Whalley
    18. David Pusey
    19. Richard Stanford
    20. Chris O’Young
    21. Josh Tatupu
    22. Haig Sare

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Go the Spanner!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    I like that back line. Maybe swap 11 & 15, but I like it anyway.

Shame about Brownie.

Yeah, and go the Spanner! Maybe just wait until the bloke's got the ball before tackling him but.

vCash
    Coach Mitchell SO reads TWF! Whoops, I mean the committee SO reads TWF

Drew's not sore Yay! He doesn't have a neck after all

SPANNER TIME JP PIETERSON

Steyn is in some trouble now! Hope Valentine holds up I rate Kockett on a good day.

Horua stays at 8? Please! Kankowski for the sharks we need Brownie!

THANK GOD DREW IS NOT AT FULLBACK AGAIN! Go BabyJames, Go! Teach Drew how to play 15 because clearly he's not too sure!! Or just leave it be and let him play on the wing

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    maybe Drew just took some of those concrete pills your old man prescribed
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    the only bad thing about that team is that Brown isn't named but that team is great! backline is good to go and Tatupu on the bench, should be a ripper of a game! GO FORCE

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
    I like that back line. Maybe swap 11 & 15, but I like it anyway.

Shame about Brownie.

Yeah, and go the Spanner! Maybe just wait until the bloke's got the ball before tackling him but.
    Drew at 15 ahead of James? I think Drew's been pretty average at 15 recently and JOC can play there and we need a good kicker back there this week... Why do you think Drew should be at 15? To me he's much more useful on the wing

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    maybe Drew just took some of those concrete pills your old man prescribed
    Posted via Mobile Device
    One of the best things my old Dad has done for the force

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I think Mitchell has put JOC at 15 to protect the kid from the big Sharks... and Drew on the wing to tackle....a defensive line up...it makes sense...working with what’s he has got to work with this week... or was it the match committee….who’s on the match committee does anyone know?

Player
    vCash
    A good lineup,we need jnr to have a good game and I think valo and horua should improve on last weeks game.Mr consistant(gits) just needs to be consistant.

JOC will definately be tested at fullback but as long as drew ans stanners back him up he will be fine.Especially with up and unders, JP Pietersen will surely compete under those.

I hope the pink jerseys dont make it easier for the ref to pick up our faults,and confuses the sharks into trying to remember who they are actually playing.

vCash
    Apparently they get pink booties too - so rucking will be out too.

Excellent lineout and sincerely hope the lads give the Sharks and us an outing we won't forget.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    its a pretty good team!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    Drew at 15 ahead of James? I think Drew's been pretty average at 15 recently and JOC can play there and we need a good kicker back there this week... Why do you think Drew should be at 15? To me he's much more useful on the wing
    Agree with you Robyn, Drew is a better winger than a fullback, if Shep comes back I think they should play Shep at fullback, Drew on wing, JoC centre.

Last edited by Jehna; 19-03-09 at 14:46. Reason: Format of quote :)
    "Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to ..........."

Player
    vCash
    I think its fantastic that we are able to support breast cancer in this way,it is a shame that we couldnt offer the same level of support for prostate cancer.

It really needs this type of exposure to raise the awareness amoungst males.And they wouldnt even need to change the colour of the jerseys.David Pusey did an excellent job last year to help with this cause and so has TWF with movember.

Cancer is a terrible disease that affects us all and any support for this cause is worthwhile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    I think its fantastic that we are able to support breast cancer in this way,it is a shame that we couldnt offer the same level of support for prostate cancer.

It really needs this type of exposure to raise the awareness amoungst males.And they wouldnt even need to change the colour of the jerseys.David Pusey did an excellent job last year to help with this cause and so has TWF with movember.

Cancer is a terrible disease that affects us all and any support for this cause is worthwhile.
    Alright, alot of comments of this persuasion went through to the keeper when the 'Ladies Day' game was announced BUT....

EWF WAS charity partners with the Prostate Cancer Foundation for the last 2 years and put alot of work into selling merchandise and organising tin-rattlers for the "Shave Dave" game last year, as well as promoting the website to donate directly to the head-shaving fund. Maybe they just learnt some lessons in that experience and are making an even bigger show in their charity game this year.

Can we please stop playing the "which cancer deserves more support" game and get on with supporting our boys in pink and the BCFWA?

P.S. YAY FOR SPANNER!

Last edited by Swee_82; 19-03-09 at 07:31.

vCash
    Good line-up! It's a shame about Brownie - I thought he'd be fit enough for this weekend's game but obviously not. Has there been any update on his injury - is he still injured, or just not match fit enough yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast