Thread: Sharks have to stick with a flop at flyhalf

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Sharks have to stick with a flop at flyhalf

Sharks have to stick with a flop at flyhalfCraig RayPublished:Mar 17, 2009
    HOBSON’S CHOICE: Francois Steyn will play flyhalf for the Sharks in spite of another poor showing in that position on Saturday Picture: AP Article Tools Print E-MailSave and Share
    RUAN Pienaar’s injury is not a concern only for the Sharks, but also for Springbok coach Peter de Villiers.

Pienaar returned to South Africa yesterday for scans on his injured knee, and Frans Steyn will fill the Sharks’ void.

Steyn moved to flyhalf on Saturday against the Reds and endured a torrid time, but coach John Plumtree has no option but to back him there again this week against the Western Force.
    “We lost some flow,” Plumtree admitted after Saturday’s 25-13 defeat in Brisbane. “Frans [Steyn] did alright, though, and he will be all the better for the time he played at flyhalf.”
    It was hardly a ringing endorsement of Steyn’s ability at No10.
    In 2007, Steyn slotted in at flyhalf during the second half for the Boks against the All Blacks in Durban. It was a disaster with a Steyn kick charged down, leading to a try, and a fumbled ball inside his in-goal area that led to another try.
    It prompted Bok coach Jake White to say: “No, it’s over. Frans isn’t going to play flyhalf again. He likes space and needs space. He was boxed in at flyhalf and his game suffered against New Zealand.”
    But White picked Steyn at flyhalf for the Barbarians against the Wallabies last year, and witnessed another poor display by the player.
    On Saturday’s evidence, little has changed. Steyn is a fine inside centre and perhaps an even better fullback because he has more space.
    But in the confines of playing one channel away from rucks, he appears slow to react.
    Plumtree has no option but to throw Steyn in at flyhalf. Butch James and Frederic Michalak have left the Sharks and Vodacom Cup player Monty Dumond is untested in Super 14.
    Saturday’s match against the Western Force suddenly looks like a critical test of the Sharks’ title credentials — especially if they have to do it with Steyn at flyhalf.

http://www.thetimes.co.za:80/Sport/A...aspx?id=960452

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Lucky Force.... look out for the 50 metre drop goals...

vCash
    kicks like a mule, thinks like a two year old.
    seen some great stuff from Steyn but some real brain explosions as well

hopefully the force can exploit the young bloke and im sure our backrow will take pleasure in shutting him down

Last edited by RuckNMaul; 17-03-09 at 07:38. Reason: more
    <>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    look out for the 50 metre drop goals...
    he tried 2 of them last time the Sharks were here in Perth, one was succesfull, the other did'nt even make the 22 metre line

vCash
    We played a lame Crusaders and fell short. My confidence in the Force isn't that hot at the moment and even with a lemon as a Shark's fly, I can't help but feel we are very capable of losing the game.

vCash
    first two weeks we were pretty ordinary then in week 3 came out and handed the Brumbies arse to them, the next two weeks we have been fairly ordinary so this week if the pattern continues.......

vCash
    Excellent. Giteau WILL make mincemeat of him. I think our front row should look out, the Sharks have the sharpest front row in the entire competition.

So who goes to 12 for the sharks now? Whoever it is - it's SPANNER TIME!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    We played a lame Crusaders and fell short. My confidence in the Force isn't that hot at the moment and even with a lemon as a Shark's fly, I can't help but feel we are very capable of losing the game.
    They might have been lame in terms of the players on the field and the relative experience and talent but those guys played a 120% game for much of that first half. Plus after two lame games we are about due for a big game.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    I think their pack will make mincemeat of ours. Rumour is they took the Reds a bit lightly and had a torrid time on the Gold Coast in the week leading up to the Reds match........torrid in the fact that it was a hard week of late nights, booze and floozies.

The coach will have the whip out this week.

The Force have a soft underbelly which they are happy to expose if the other teams fronts up physically.

The Sharks have a very physical pack and will be direct. They take the ball over the advantage line very well creating forward momentum and space for their backs. They also play very well planned patterns with forward pods and switches in the direction of attack with their backs.

They are a class outfit and had a woefully off day last week. The Force will need to turn up mentally and be prepared for a torrid time in the tackle contest. If the Sharks take it over the advantage line with ease they'll cut us to shreds.

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Our forwards will have a lot of work to do to keep the Sharks in check all across the park. In our favour though is the fact that even if the Sharks win the battle of the forwards they will need to win it by a fair bit for Frans Steyn to do anything useful with the ball he gets. Fingers crossed the old Sharks ill-discipline comes back out like it did last time they were in Perth.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    When ever i see Frans i think back to the Baabaa's Match last year when Quade walked all over him.. He was chucking passes 5m forward, 10 m's back, over heads, under feet.. and his tactical kicking was woeful.. he was the real reason the Baabaa's lost against our bunch of snotty nosed kids (well maybe not so snotty nosed anymore)

Player
    vCash
    Fact is theyve won 4 games already,and will be looking to avenge their shock loss from last week..we are lucky that pienar is injured.

vCash
    Will there be Pink be a factor? I think that could put the Sharks off their game... The Force players are going to look like a bunch of Jockeys on cup day....

Both teams are injury depleted... Sharks were poor last week but without Pienaar perhaps their directionless... Should be close The Force forwards need to keep their season alive this week...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    BRING IT HOME FORCE....PLAY YOUR HEARTS OUT AND QUIET THE DOUBTING THOMAS'....LEAVE NOTHING IN RESERVE...!!!