Thread: Waratahs throw their weight behind under-siege fly half Kurtley Beale

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs throw their weight behind under-siege fly half Kurtley Beale

Waratahs throw their weight behind under-siege fly half Kurtley Beale

By Jon Geddes
    March 16, 2009 New South Wales have called for the critics to get off Kurtley Beale's back, declaring the besieged 20-year-old fly half has been unfairly blamed for the performance of the whole team.
    After Friday's 21-11 loss to the Brumbies, former Test full-back and Fox commentator Greg Martin caused an interstate stir by calling for Beale's immediate dumping, claiming his weaknesses were hindering NSW.

"I think Kurtley is being made a bit of a scapegoat here, I don't think we as a team are allowing him to play his best football," Waratahs winger Lachie Turner said.

"I think we really strangled him and didn't give him many options in attack.

"When we do give Kurtley options he looks like one of the greatest players to ever have played this game. I've spent a lot of time with him and I know the things he is capable of."

The electrifying Waratahs back said it was not Beale's fault he and fellow winger Lote Tuqiri had not received more opportunities.

"I don't think we are realigning fast enough and not letting ourselves go wide," Turner said.

"That onus is on us as a backline, not on Kurtley as five-eighth.

"If we can get that right then I'm sure Lote and I will be seeing plenty of the footy."

Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said he has been happy with Beale's form but, like the team, he feels his best football is in front of him.

"Because he has been fairly high-profile since he was at school he becomes an easy target," he said.

The fact that the dissident Martin is a Queenslander has also not been lost on the Waratahs camp.

"Perhaps Greg's state allegiance is colouring his assessment of Beale." Hickey said.

And Turner added: "As much as Marto tries he is a bit one-sided. I'm not having a go at him, a lot of NSW supporters are the same."

Turner said Beale had always received a lot of attention and sometimes people expect too much from one person. "They are looking for him to be the matchwinner every time. That

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    How can playing first receiver not present you with opportunities? He's supposed to create them.

Marto is a pretty astute rugby brain. Putting him back in club rugby to learn how to play wouldn't hurt him

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    How about some running rugby from the attack coach?