Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NSW Waratahs confident of retaining Kurtley Beale despite NRL interest

vCash

NSW Waratahs confident of retaining Kurtley Beale despite NRL interest

NSW Waratahs confident of retaining Kurtley Beale despite NRL interest

By Bret Harris and Brent Read

March 11, 2009

NSW Waratahs are confident of retaining star five-eighth Kurtley Beale despite growing interest in him from NRL clubs.

Beale, out of contract at the end of the year, started playing rugby league in Sydney's western suburbs before attending the great rugby nursery, St Joseph's College.

He has made no secret that he would like to play rugby league again one day. But it is understood Beale's negotiations with the Waratahs and the ARU are progressing well.

"I feel confident," Hickey said. "Kurtley is enjoying his rugby. He has made some good steps forward.

"There are a lot of opportunities in front of him and he is keen to take them. There is plenty for him to achieve in rugby and he is in a good position to do that now."

Beale would probably not want to change codes until he has played for the Wallabies and he is not far away from achieving that goal.

After making his debut for the Waratahs in 2007 as an 18-year-old straight out of school, Beale has matured into a very good playmaker.

An ankle injury in the Super 14 final and a hand injury sustained in the gym dashed Beale's hopes of touring with the Wallabies to Hong Kong and Europe at the end of last year.

Beale's Queensland rival Quade Cooper got the jump on him when he made tremendous progress on the Wallabies' tour.

But Wallabies coach Robbie Deans has a high opinion of Beale and if he continues to develop his game, he is expected to come back into national squad contention again this year.

While Matt Giteau is the premier playmaker in Australia, Deans is keen to build the depth in his inside backs.

NRL clubs are keeping an eye on the Beale situation with a view to luring the star Waratahs back across the rugby divide should talks break down with NSW and the ARU.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Kurtley has had a free ride into the waratahs lineup. He should have a think about where his bread is buttered. The rugby league clubs may be clamoring for his signature but what can they offer him? A chance at state of origin and a handful of internationals? His defence is too poor for him to contemplate the switch isn't it?

Kangaroo Court is in session..........all rise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ethicist View Post
    Kurtley has had a free ride into the waratahs lineup. He should have a think about where his bread is buttered. The rugby league clubs may be clamoring for his signature but what can they offer him? A chance at state of origin and a handful of internationals? His defence is too poor for him to contemplate the switch isn't it?
    he had no problem finding bread or butter in the off season, He'll do alright for a feed wherever he goes!

C'mon the

Player
    vCash
    I think they should let him go if he wants to. For mine, he's behind Cooper, Barnes and Giteau at 10 (and possibly Lucas who was a prodigious 10 before his switch). If he does make the Wallabies and plays at 10 it will be very frustrating if he then walks out down the track to play league and leaves the others with less development time in the gold jersey.

vCash
    As a 15 year old, Beale was promoted as the next big thing
    There is a huge group of very talented 10's and 12's that have come along in Kurtley's shadow and possibly worked a bit harder on their fitness and core skills believing they were behind in the pecking order. Kurtley has apparently rested on his laurels. Kurtley although talented has not been the gift to Australian rugby he was long hailed to be. Cooper, Barnes and Giteau would probably wear the wallaby 10 ahead of him based on form this season. Kurtley has a lot of ground to make up and needs to start performing at super level for the Tahs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Beale would probably not want to change codes until he has played for the Wallabies and he is not far away from achieving that goal.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Beale is quite a fantastic talent, i have watched him play at schoolboy level and progress at S14, i think its a bit unfair to target him so heavily, in one sense i agree with the comments, he has not lived up to expectations so far, but in another sense he has met many of them.

This year, whilst not playing as 'creatively' as cooper, he is showing some great control of the game with a quite impressive kicking game. If it werent for his injury in 2008 he would have almost definetly been on the Wallabies tour.

IMO the current standings for 5/8 are: Giteau, Cooper, Beale, Barnes *daylight* Lealifano

vCash
    Beale should be playing subbies
    He is possibly the most over rated player in the history of rugby. His passing game is ordinary. His defence is beyond the pale.
    He looked good carving up in GPS school rugby and as usual, it amounts to nought in the real world. Send him back to the Shute Shield for a few years to learn how to play with the big boys.
    The blokes playing first grade mustn't believe the kids that bypass the system.
    The Faingaas are another example. There must be blokes playing 2nd grade with more ability, physical presence and core skills.

vCash
    After watching him today..got to agree with the Ethicist. Get rid of him before he becomes a distraction..before he becomes a BIGGER distraction I meant to say. Him, Timana and Lote should be returned to the pandora's box that is League (there I've said it and in the proces contradicted all or most of my previous comments in support of these players).

vCash
    They should also take the replacement halfback with them 20 Brett Sheehan I think he is called

vCash
    Hmm, do you mean Sheehan there Pieter? Phibbs played for the Brumbies....didn't really set the world on fire, but was OK, Sheehan played for the 'Tahs, made some pretty ordinary errors, but in his defence he was brought on in the 'desperate do-anything' phases of the game where the 'tahs had to push passes or give up.

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Apart from the try phase which was really a general team brain explosion, I didn't think Sheehan went too badly for his little time.
    One observation made during the match was that he certainly knows a lot of the "dirty tricks" from many years around the NSW club scene that the two starting halves didn't display.

And yes, I am probably a wee bit biased as he's a WA country kid...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yeah, I guess I was seeking clarification because neither of them were special, but I didn't see any 'piss off back to the clubs' moments either!

C'mon the

vCash
    Sell him and make a quid out of him whilst you can still get a dollar
    Beale's value is like the world's financial markets

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ethicist View Post
    Sell him and make a quid out of him whilst you can still get a dollar
    Beale's value is like the world's financial markets
    IE up the shit at the moment but will eventually prosper?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast