Thread: Stephen Moore re-signs as ARU lock in key Wallabies for World Cup

vCash

Stephen Moore re-signs as ARU lock in key Wallabies for World Cup

Stephen Moore re-signs as ARU lock in key Wallabies for World Cup

March 10, 2009

Wallabies hooker Stephen Moore has pledged his allegiance to Australian Rugby as the ARU starts to lock in key players through to the 2011 World Cup.

Moore, 26, became the Wallabies first hooker under new coach Robbie Deans last year, featuring in all 14 Tests and starting all but one of them.

Matt Giteau was the only other player involved in every match.

Moore has re-committed to Australian rugby and to the Brumbies through to the end of 2011, saying excitement about the Wallabies' future helped make his decision to stay in the country an easy one.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...-23217,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    A good result

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Moore re-signs with CA Brumbies and ARU until 2011
    Tuesday, 10 March 2009
    Brumbies Media Unit

Wallaby hooker Stephen Moore has re-signed with the CA Brumbies and the Australian Rugby Union for two years taking him through to the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand.

The incumbent Wallabies rake joined the CA Brumbies for the 2009 Investec Super 14 season, having played six seasons and 53 caps for the Queensland Reds, including 46 Super Rugby caps.

The 26-year-old has represented the Wallabies on 33 occasions, scoring two tries, and was one of two players – along with Matt Giteau – to play every Test for the Australia during 2008.

Moore says the decision to remain with the CA Brumbies was a straightforward one.

“I came down to the Brumbies with a view to extending beyond the first year,” he said. “Once I arrived in Canberra it only confirmed my decision and I’ve been very happy being a part of what is an outstanding rugby program.

“I’m not the sort of person who wanted to stay at a club for just a year, and I was very keen to make a longer term commitment to the Brumbies and help the side in going forward.”

Moore says he hopes the extension will enable him to continue his international career.

“I was keen to sign a contact that would hopefully allow me to play a part in the World Cup in New Zealand,” he said. “And while 2011 is in back of mind I believe there are certainly some exciting times ahead for Australian rugby before then.

“Between the Brumbies and the Wallabies there is the potential for considerable success over the next two years and that was something I definitely wanted to be a part of.”

CA Brumbies Head Coach Andy Friend says Moore has helped add stability to the CA Brumbies forward pack.

“Steve’s a world class hooker and it’s always a great day when players like that sign and re-sign with the club,” he said. “Steve’s definitely added some starch and surety to our set piece this season as well as proving very handy around the field too.

“He’s a very powerful, robust and consistent footballer who has a vast rugby knowledge of the game and provides valuable input into how the side functions.”

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says Moore’s re-signing is a boost for the side prior to the 2010 season.

“Steve’s been an outstanding addition to the side this season and we were very keen to see him remain in Brumbies colours,” he said. “He’s fitted into the culture and our style of rugby extremely well and his performances on the field speak for themselves.

“Steve’s re-signing, combined with the quality of existing players in the squad and the return of Matt Giteau, not only reaffirms Canberra as a premier destination to play rugby but will hold the CA Brumbies in excellent stead beyond the 2009 season.”

ARU High Performance Unit General Manager David Nucifora says Moore was a key signing for the Wallabies leading into the 2011 Rugby World Cup.

“What Stephen showed on the Spring Tour and during last season is that he has the ability to be one of the best players in the world in his position,” he said. “If he continues that end-of-year form through Super 14 and into the Qantas Wallabies Test season then he will no doubt reach that standing.

“Our aim is to have as many world-class players as possible in the Test side so to secure him until after the next World Cup is great.”

Stephen Moore

Position: Hooker
    Physical: 1.86m/112kg
    Born: 20.01.83, Khamis (Saudi Arabia)
    Club: University
    Super 14 Caps: 50 (46 Reds, 4 CA Brumbies)
    Super 14 Points: 10 (2t)
    Super 14 Debut: 2003 (Reds) v Bulls, Pretoria
    Test Caps: 33
    Test Points: 10 (2t)
    Test Debut: 2005 v Samoa, Sydney

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Wonder if there is a "out" clause after 1 year?

vCash
    Great News

Go The Force!

vCash
    thats bollocks, i has hoping to see him playing for the force next year!!...

vCash
    Probably not if he announced until 2011... and his statement was clear...It didn't take him long into the contract week 4 to sign for another 2 years... He Must be very comfortable and settled at the club... I don’t think any dodgy third party deals were offered…

Article…extract…
    Moore says the decision to remain with the CA Brumbies was a straightforward one.

“I came down to the Brumbies with a view to extending beyond the first year,” he said. “Once I arrived in Canberra it only confirmed my decision and I’ve been very happy being a part of what is an outstanding rugby program.

“I’m not the sort of person who wanted to stay at a club for just a year, and I was very keen to make a longer term commitment to the Brumbies and help the side in going forward.”

Moore says he hopes the extension will enable him to continue his international career.

vCash
    Esy decision for Moore, all he had to do was get in the club and look at the talent he's fighting against for field time....He obviously saw that he's not got a fight on his hands for minutes!

C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Hopefully Edmonds or Luge are looking for a new home if McIsaac doesn't play on, but McIsaac is better than either of them and has the Caps to prove it.

Last edited by Burgs; 10-03-09 at 18:31.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Hopefully Edmonds or Luge are looking for a new home if McIsaac doesn't play on, but McIsaac is better than either of them and has the Caps to prove it.
    Yep... its on the cards... the Brumbies may not be able to keep them all... Luge or Turtle also plays prop well so he is a very handy player to have in your side... because of this he can keep other quality props out of the 22 at the Brumbies....