Thread: Give Islanders a Super go, says Boe

vCash

Give Islanders a Super go, says Boe

Give Islanders a Super go, says Boe

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/03/07...r-go-says-boe/

Well-respected former Samoa and Pacific Islands coach John Boe has a simple solution for Super 14 bosses deciding upon a new team for an expanded competition in 2011.

Give the licence each year to the victorious Islander team from the annual Pacific Tri-Nations series between Samoa, Tonga and Fiji.

Boe, who took Samoa to the brink of upsetting eventual champions England in the 2003 World Cup, said it was time SANZAR stopped ignoring the talent-packed island nations.

He denied a hybrid fifth Australian team boasting a host of Islanders - as spruiked by ARU chief John O’Neill - would work.

“It’s great that John O’Neill has said this but he’s said it before and it’s never ever happened,” said disenchanted former All Black Boe, who is based on the Gold Coast.

“My idea would be the winner of the Tri-Nations - whether it be Samoa, Fiji or Tonga - stand alone to play in the Super 15.

“It would give them something to aim for.”

O’Neill said an island-based team wouldn’t generate sufficient revenue for SANZAR from broadcasters, while the hybrid side could also ensure a new Australian franchise wouldn’t undermine the four existing teams.

But Boe, who also coached the East Coast Aces in the now defunct Australian Rugby Championship, said there wasn’t enough depth in Australian rugby to risk a fifth team.

“Look at what happened to the Queensland Reds when the Western Force came in and took half their players (in 2005), they are still recovering,” Boe said.

“The Force are now struggling themselves, the Brumbies aren’t what they were and the Waratahs are the only strong team.

“Australia needs to consolidate, they don’t need players going in and out of teams.”

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    31 visits and no comment on this thread... The pacific islanders could be the majority of your squad in coming years... I would have thought someone would have had something to say...

vCash

Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
    jargs its is more a reality than you may think correctly the Force have 1 WA player in the squad and he is not on tour but at Eastwood Rugby Club in Sydney... Additionally the Force will need to buy more outsiders if they can't produce local talent fast enough... the ARU may have to loosen the OZ players foreign numbers to fill the 5 provinces... hence the Force could well be signing from the Pacific Nations as will others....

the Northern Hemisphere are all ready signing his pool of players and not likely for premium prices...

This is coming your way in 2011 and into the near future....

vCash

Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Well I hope your bellowing bubbles when you see it happen...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    31 visits and no comment on this thread... The pacific islanders could be the majority of your squad in coming years... I would have thought someone would have had something to say...
    I think it's bait but it's late and I'm tired and I just don't get it... Mudskipper, please explain.

If the Pacific get a team (YES please, think of a tour there ) then why would they come over to the force? I'm not biting I truly am... confused

I think that the team should go to the Islands. They are strong teams and rather than drain Aus again lets let them have a go. (This has probably all been said before) I rate the islanders, they play some good rugby and they are huge! They are good. Let's let them have a go Australian rugby isn't dominant enough to support 5 teams. We have AFL to compete with for younger players and we just don't really have enough at the moment... We probably didn't when the force started either, and Aussie rugby is still recovering...

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Well I hope your bellowing bubbles when you see it happen...
    If it happens it happens
    Posted via Mobile Device

Player
    vCash
    I think Oneill would like to base the island team in Aus,as they wouldnt have the structures or facilities to accomadate this side in the islands,and if they are based here then that would make them eligible to play for AUs unless they have already represented their country.Maybe they could base this side in west sydney,where they would get huge support.

But then how would this be any different from SA wanting to enter a black only team.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    You haven't commented and you're questioning others?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    My observation would be that there are big Islander communities in the East, but not here so much. As we saw with Timani, it is likely that they will gravitate East. They may well come at a bit of a discount too if the NH is anything to go by, so they will appeal to the teams with less disposable income. But never mind, if we are lucky the Tahs and Force will do the hard yards keeping the Aussie lads in country...