Brumbies in need of Christian act from Mortlock

Mark Ella | March 07, 2009
Article from: The Australian

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

THE Brumbies may be Australia's only team to have won a Super rugby title, in fact they have two, but they will not add to their silverware without a dominant five-eighth to guide the team.

It was never going to be easy taking over from former Wallabies five-eighth Stephen Larkham.

Christian Lealiifano was thrown into the lion's den and showed promise in a team full of stars, but this season he has looked anything but an accomplished playmaker.

Lealiifano has been too indecisive and lacking in confidence to play the crucial decision-making role.

There must come a time when coach Andy Friend runs out of patience and looks at other options, including Matt Toomua, 19.

The word in Canberra is that Toomua is a very confident and composed young man; exactly what is needed.

Western Force, with Wallabies five-eighth Matt Giteau leading the way, have found their feet and the difference in leadership could not have been more stark watching Giteau and his team carve up the desolate Brumbies last Saturday in Canberra.

The two other Australian teams are also bustling with worthy candidates for the No 10 jersey - the Waratahs' Kurtley Beale and Daniel Halangahu continue to fight it out - and the Reds have Quade Cooper and Berrick Barnes ready to take over if needed.

Giteau, of course, will be back home in Canberra next year, but what do the Brumbies do in the meantime?

Next Friday night, in Canberra, the one major flaw in the Brumbies will again be exposed when the Waratahs take them on.

And if Lealiifano plays as he has so far this year, it could be another home loss to the ACT boys.

Do the Brumbies persevere with Lealiifano until he again settles into the position or take a punt and throw the young, inexperienced Toomua into the game.

There are many reasons why the backline doesn't fire and, to be honest, it is not only the five-eighth who has the responsibility of steering the team around the park.

Wallabies captain Stirling Mortlock has proven himself an inspiring leader and the time has come for him to take control of the Brumbies backline.

However, more importantly he must give direction to young Lealiifano before it is too late.

One of the weaker aspects of Lealiifano's game at the moment is his kicking. It has gone from bad to worse and Mortlock and outside centre Adam Ashley-Cooper, who is a left-footer, should take over.

Constantly kicking badly isn't helpful for Lealiifano's confidence and it certainly affects other parts of his game so Mortlock can easily take over that role, playing at inside centre.

I am aware that Mortlock himself is still coming to grips with the inside-centre role but as a senior player he must get his No10 functioning before he can even think about his own game.

For ever and a day I have said the most important player in any backline is the No12, so the onus is on Mortlock to steer Lealiifano until his confidence returns.

My old Waratahs and Wallabies inside centre Michael Hawker made me look like I knew what I was doing for most of the time and I owe a great deal of my success to him and his drive for perfection.

Lealiifano looks and plays like he is on his own, which I am sure is not right, but he does at times seem lost which, in a backline brimming with superstars, doesn't make sense.

It is easy for any player to look good when their team is going forward, but the true judge of a footballer's ability is how they play on the back foot.

After a bye this weekend the Brumbies play the Waratahs who are one of the form teams in this year's Super 14.

If Lealiifano is selected at five-eighth, this may be his last opportunity to deliver the goods. For his sake, I hope he is up to it.

But whether the Brumbies go with Lealiifano or Toomua, the youngsters cannot do it without the support of Mortlock.