Toomua intent on exerting control
BY PETER FITZGERALD
RUGBY UNION 5/03/2009 1:00:00 AM

Rookie flyhalf Matt Toomua will come under close watch from ACT Brumbies coaches on Sunday when he starts at No10 in a friendly against an Australian Barbarians team.
Brumbies coach Andy Friend hinted earlier this week he would make changes to his Super 14 team following its loss to the Western Force last Saturday night.

And flyhalf is one position he is looking at.

Incumbent Christian Lealiifano has had a chequered start to the season and while 19-year-old Toomua is less experienced, his ability is untapped.

He has played only 20 minutes of Super 14 off the bench this season 15 of those came at fullback against the Force but Friend has been impressed with what he has seen so far.

''There's a few positions that we'll be keeping a close eye on in this game,'' the coach said.

''Matt is obviously a very talented player coming through and improving and working on his game. This weekend's match is definitely important for him.

''We lost a game last weekend which we're very disappointed about but that doesn't mean we want to be seen as hitting panic stations.

''We'll definitely have a good look at how Matt goes but he won't be the only one with a chance to impress.''

Toomua was yesterday trying to block out the hype surrounding his looming performance.

With Lealiifano far from guaranteed the No10 jersey for the Brumbies' next Super 14 match against the NSW Waratahs on March 13, Toomua could well play himself into that jersey with a solid game against the Barbarians.

The Barbarians are a team made up of Sydney club rugby and NSW Country players.

Melbourne-born Toomua was doing his best to focus on the challenge of playing for 80 minutes.

''I can't wait for Sunday,'' he said. ''The plan is to play a full game, which I haven't done since the trials, and just see how I go.

''I'd obviously love to be in the Brumbies starting team, as any player here would, but I'm just looking at doing well this weekend and if I can do that, then we'll see where that leads.''

Toomua has six Super 14 caps for the Brumbies, all off the bench.

He believed the best way to earn a call-up into the main team for the Waratahs clash was to master the simple things on Sunday.

''My kicking game, catch, pass, all those basics is what I'll be concentrating on,'' Toomua said.

''Andy [Friend] just wants to see me control the game and if I can do that then I'll be happy.''

The Runners team features a host of regular Super 14 players who Friend wants to get a better gauge on.

Loosehead prop Ben Alexander will start the match in a bid to force his way into the starting XV for the Waratahs fixture.

Peter Kimlin, who is on the verge of a call-up to the senior run-on team, and scrumhalf James Stannard will also be given ample game time to impress.

The other key selection is Gene Fairbanks at inside centre.

Fairbanks has been sidelined since August last year with different injuries but is a genuine chance of returning to the main squad for the Waratahs game.

''If I play 12 I think I could really add something to the team,'' Fairbanks said.

''That's the only position I'm really looking at in terms of selection at this stage.''

The Brumbies senior team has the bye in the Super 14 this weekend.

SUNDAY

Brumby Runners v Australian Barbarians at Viking Park at 3pm.

BRUMBY RUNNERS: 15. Pat McCabe, 14. Peter Betham, 13. Sanualio Afeaki, 12. Gene Fairbanks, 11. Alfi Mafi, 10. Matt Toomua, 9. James Stannard, 8. Mitch Chapman, 7. Colby Faingaa, 6. Peter Kimlin, 5. Shawn Mackay, 4. Sitaleki Timani, 3. Salesi Ma'afu, 2. Huia Edmonds, 1. Ben Alexander. Reserves: John Ulugia, Jerry Yanutanutawa, Kesomi Lolotonga, Sokai Tai, Seilala Lam, Nick White, Robbie Coleman, Brent Hamlin, Ben Johnston

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/news...px?storypage=0