Thread: Queensland Reds coach Phil Mooney baits New South Wales Waratahs fans

vCash

Queensland Reds coach Phil Mooney baits New South Wales Waratahs fans

Queensland Reds coach Phil Mooney baits New South Wales Waratahs fans

March 06, 2009

Queensland Reds coach Phil Mooney has taunted New South Wales Waratahs fans by daring them to turn up and boo his side in the interstate Super 14 grudge match at the Sydney Football Stadium.

"Sitting up in Queensland I must say I do get a little bit surprised that the Waratahs are sitting on the top of the table and a lot of people don't really come to watch them," Mooney said

"I certainly know if the Reds were three from three they would be getting more than 20,000 at Suncorp Stadium."

That was a dig at the disappointing crowd of 19,492 that attended NSW's win over the Highlanders at the Sydney Football Stadium last weekend.

Mooney said he remembers the fervent support NSW-Queensland games always attracted when he was growing up.

"It would be nice to turn up to the footy stadium and there is a lot of people in sky blue and they are booing a lot," Mooney said.

"That is the beauty of the Queensland-NSW game. I'd like to see people out there giving it to us because that is what it is all."

He said the Reds were battled-hardened to having the crowd against them after playing their opening two games in South Africa, where the local spectators are unforgiving.

"I think it is just great for players to be playing in front of big crowds, you get the best out of both sides," Mooney said.

And the Reds are more than happy to go into the game against the undefeated Waratahs as underdogs, using the tag as motivation.

"We are playing down in Sydney and we haven't beaten the Waratahs for five years," Mooney said.

"It is up to us to show the people down here in Sydney that we are a legitimate football side now (the match) is an opportunity for us to make a bit of a statement.

"At the end of the day we have won one game ... this is a massive one for us."

Wallaby legend Mark Ella provided the Reds with some more ammunition by tipping the Waratahs to win convincingly.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Player
    vCash
    The Reds have nothing to lose and plenty to gain from tonights encounter.

I mean if they win and win pretty,they will be hailed as winning entertainers.While the Tahs will be labelled as fakes.And the will get even more fans on their side.

Or if they lose but are still entertaining,it will be oh well that was expected,but they still looked the better more entertaing side.Again they will get more fans following them

The only way the Tahs can really come out on top is if they win pretty,then they will be classed as real contenders.It is also the only way they will silence their critics.Personally I dont think they know how to win pretty.....They will need to watch last weeks force game to see how to do that.....

vCash
    Wallaby legend Mark Ella provided the Reds with some more ammunition by tipping the Waratahs to win convincingly.

Mark Ella also wrote a column in The Australian a few years back, stating that Eddie Jones, as coach of the Reds, would be the salvation of Qld rugby.

Way to go Nostradamus.

Legend Contributor
    vCash