Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Force set sights on South African Peter Grant

vCash
    he will probably come here to play and to maybe get residency here
    he will come here for super 14 and go back and play for the boks if he gets a look in for it
    hopefully he will because he is a great flyhalf

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    In terms of selection, the residency part doesn't really matter for him as he is already capped.
    If he chooses to make WA his home and be involved around the club scene when possible then that is a major coup.
    I still don't think it fits Coach Mitchells statement of finding the best Flyhalf in the World though.

Last edited by Burgs; 02-03-09 at 12:44.
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    I'd prefer to see Aussies playing for the force esp Western Australians, but I'm really not too fussed I will welcome him with open arms if he decides to play for the force!

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Here is some details on him

Born in 1984
    Position: Flyhalf/Centre
    Physical: 1.86m, 93kg
    Province: WP
    WP Caps: 40
    WP Points: 272 (9t, 42p, 1dg, 49c)
    WP Debut: 2004 vs Lions
    Stormers Caps: 35
    Stormers Points: 331 (5t, 21p, 22c)
    Stormers Debut: 2006 vs Cats
    Test Caps: 5
    Test Points: 0
    Test Debut: 2007 vs Australia

vCash
    ... and he isn't completely unfortunate ...

"Believe in the best, think your best, study your best, have a goal for your best, never be satisfied with less than your best, try your best, and in the long run things will turn out for the best."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    i think he will be an excellent catch if he decides to make the move west
    he has great skills and we will get alot more saffas support as said before
    if he thinks the club is on the way up thats if he decides to sign, he may spread the word and may get a few more high class players joining, maybe a few more saffas but could encourage a lot more players to see there way west
    i say a good approaching by force!
    But we don't WANT more saffas over here. We have more than enough!! We want good Western, preferabley, Australian boys to come up through our team through our development program through our force and eventually play for the wallabies. Example Kieran Longbottom. HE is the kind of player the force have been set up for. ARU didn't give WA the force to recruit ex-saffa rejects, we got the force to develop WA rugby talent. So lets develop Baby-James-O'Connor, he's not exactly Western Australian, but he's a step up from Grant.

My 2 cents

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    But we don't WANT more saffas over here. We have more than enough!! We want good Western, preferabley, Australian boys to come up through our team through our development program through our force and eventually play for the wallabies. Example Kieran Longbottom. HE is the kind of player the force have been set up for. ARU didn't give WA the force to recruit ex-saffa rejects, we got the force to develop WA rugby talent. So lets develop Baby-James-O'Connor, he's not exactly Western Australian, but he's a step up from Grant.

My 2 cents
    i think the force need a player who has had experience playing super 14, knows some background in the position, has played internationally and is good under high intensity and pressure and would also help to have another super 14 teams background coz give some tactics
    even though james o'connor is the most likely person for the job, what if he leaves?we wont be very happy but then it will be good to get grant on board and take up the fly half position and have an academy player learn off him!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Robyn just Remember that JOC's preferred position is definately not 10 but 12

vCash
    Agree with PB and Lara, it is important we get a world class five eighths, it is a pivotal position in rugby. JOC prefers 12 ans Deans wants him at 15. We also have to remember that he is not confirmed for next year and we may not have him if he goes.

WJ, there are not enough decent five eights in Australia, NSW have two, QLD has one (Barnes is happy at 12 at the moment) and Brumbies have one and one nineteen year old)

I think he would be a great acquisition, a tall strong five eigth.

Simon Cron: “People talk about winning and losing all the time and they are critical, but there’s a process to get into and it’s the ability to stay present, do your job and execute skills under pressure.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazzmania View Post
    Agree with PB and Lara, it is important we get a world class five eighths, it is a pivotal position in rugby. JOC prefers 12 ans Deans wants him at 15. We also have to remember that he is not confirmed for next year and we may not have him if he goes.

WJ, there are not enough decent five eights in Australia, NSW have two, QLD has one (Barnes is happy at 12 at the moment) and Brumbies have one and one nineteen year old)

I think he would be a great acquisition, a tall strong five eigth.
    actually QLD at least have 2, Ben Lucas was a 5/8 before he was a halfback

vCash
    I watch a fair few games each week from around the world and one thing I always check is the height and weight of each player.

There aren't many centres playing who are 180 cm and 85 kegs. Centres need to be big, mobile and able to bone crunch through defensive lines.

JOC is too small at the moment, sure he's nimble and can find the line when there's a hole but he needs to be able to crash his way through when nothings on offer.

Now I hate the wallabies but Mortlock is a sensation at doing this. Nonu also does it and he's nearly got the hang of taking the ball with him now.

If local boys are good enough they'll have to get a game if not then imports are the way to go. Give JOC a few years to fill out and I reckon he'll be a star, till then he just has to be patient and learn the game.

Senior Player Contributor gustafsl's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    you dont have money to buy them, you have third parties that have not only you coach but ex board members invovled in them offering to pay on your behalf! *alarm bells* there is enough talent at 5/8 to spread across this country, there is enough talent full stop. i have something against the marquee rule in general, its crap. your overpaying players that if they were any good would remain in there homelands as to be eligable for there national team! thats not just perth but across the board.

Maybe you haven't heard but South Africa now picks players no matter where they play.

Also, Giteau and Barnes are the only two 5/8th in Australia that are good enough to be the Wallaby 5/8th. Quade may get there one day. Beale is still hopeless. He might as well play soccer as his only move is to kick the ball.

Sorry to say but the single goal for the Force and RugbyWA should be winning the Super 14. Until the ARU gets on board and tries to balance it out between the states then why should the Force care about developing Australian players?

vCash
    Peter Grant..... don't do it..... hardly the best in the world Mitch... but who do you get...???

Brock James...
    CLERMONT-FERRAND, France (AFP) - Australian fly half Brock James has extended his contract with French Top 14 side Clermont until 2012, the club said Saturday.
    James, 27, replaced Wales' Stephen Jones in the side when he joined in 2006 and last season finished as points king for the second straight year with 301 points.

King Carlos Spencer....
    On February 3rd 2009, Spencer signed for Gloucester on a 17-month contract.

Luke McAllister....
    Looks more interested in becoming an All Black Flyhalf therefore would have to go back to a NZ S14 outfit. "Henry has the difficult job of filling Carter's boots for the Tri-Nations series, and is hoping to lure Luke McAllister back into the fold with the player's contract at Sale due to expire this summer."

Matt Giteau....
    Signed 2 year contract with the Brumbies 2010 -2011

vCash
    Peter Grant..... don't do it..... hardly the best in the world Mitch... but who do you get...???

Brock James...
    CLERMONT-FERRAND, France (AFP) - Australian fly half Brock James has extended his contract with French Top 14 side Clermont until 2012, the club said Saturday.
    James, 27, replaced Wales' Stephen Jones in the side when he joined in 2006 and last season finished as points king for the second straight year with 301 points.

King Carlos Spencer....
    On February 3rd 2009, Spencer signed for Gloucester on a 17-month contract.

Luke McAllister....
    Looks more interested in becoming an All Black Flyhalf therefore would have to go back to a NZ S14 outfit. "Henry has the difficult job of filling Carter's boots for the Tri-Nations series, and is hoping to lure Luke McAllister back into the fold with the player's contract at Sale due to expire this summer."

Matt Giteau....
    Signed 2 year contract with the Brumbies 2010 -2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gustafsl View Post
    Maybe you haven't heard but South Africa now picks players no matter where they play.

Also, Giteau and Barnes are the only two 5/8th in Australia that are good enough to be the Wallaby 5/8th. Quade may get there one day. Beale is still hopeless. He might as well play soccer as his only move is to kick the ball.

Sorry to say but the single goal for the Force and RugbyWA should be winning the Super 14. Until the ARU gets on board and tries to balance it out between the states then why should the Force care about developing Australian players?
    ARU should balance it out?
    in what respect, the Force have had the pickings of all the players the last 3 years, i find it an insult to find a force supporter whining about the players spread..

Also im pretty sure that South Africa dont pick players internationally, they did have a rule for about 18-24months where they did pick players based overseas, but that was limited to only 2 or 3 players max. Im pretty sure that SARU has now changed that ruling back to nil players based overseas anyway.

How this would have effected Grant, well considering the calibre of South African players overseas or moving overseas, he would have nil chance of been one of those few selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast