Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ET commits as Force fights to keep Mitchell

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

ET commits as Force fights to keep Mitchell

THE task of luring Wallabies outside back Drew Mitchell away from Perth has become more difficult with the revelation that Western Force financial backer, ET Mining, will continue to support him.

It is understood Mitchell has a $200,000-a-year third-party sponsorship with ET Mining, which stepped into the financial void in the west created by the collapse of failed fuel technology company Firepower.

ET Mining is prepared to continue sponsoring Mitchell, who is being chased by the Brumbies, NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds.

It remains to be seen whether Mitchell's management can attract the same level of third-party sponsorship for him on the east coast in the present economic climate.
    There has been speculation Mitchell would follow his close friend Matt Giteau to Canberra, but there are question marks about whether he would command similar backing there.

"The media speculation is stronger than the actual talk," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said. "I think Drew is open-minded. His third-party sponsorship is continuing over there.

"The financial offer in Perth is strong and he will explore rugby offers elsewhere. The four franchises will have a chat to him. He will weigh up apples and oranges and make a call."

Mitchell played in the Force's upset win over the Brumbies in Canberra on Saturday, but the ACT side did not approach him.

"We don't like to talk to players in the lead-up to a game," Fagan said. "We didn't meet with any Force players.

"Drew's manager knows we are interested in having a chat."

It is understood Mitchell has personal reasons for wanting to move to the east coast, which has led to speculation he has already done a deal with the Waratahs.

The Waratahs will meet Mitchell's Force teammate James O'Connor this week.
    The Brumbies were also interested in O'Connor.

"Our coaches wanted to see the first few rounds before making their assessments," Fagan said. "Obviously, he (O'Connor) is a talented player. He is certainly on the radar."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015651,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Good to see The Australian reports on chances of "luring away" rather than chances of retaining...but I guess that is siege mentality talking...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ET mining. Good blokes. Keep Drew here please!

"The media speculation is stronger than the actual talk," Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan said. "I think Drew is open-minded. His third-party sponsorship is continuing over there.
    At last! Someone with a brain. His third party payments are continuing over here. I don't really understand the third party payments and things, but if he's getting some nice moola over here (and I'm again assuming that ET's giving him good money) then he either wants to get away from Mitch (which he has blatantly and brutally denied) or he's got 'these personal reasons' mentioned at the bottom... or did I miss one? I think he will stay

Mitchell played in the Force's upset win over the Brumbies in Canberra on Saturday, but the ACT side did not approach him.

"We don't like to talk to players in the lead-up to a game," Fagan said. "We didn't meet with any Force players.
    You don't like talking to players pre-game. Yet your captain leaks that Giteau is moving to the Brumbies a week before tha game... that makes a whole heap of sense

It is understood Mitchell has personal reasons for wanting to move to the east coast, which has led to speculation he has already done a deal with the Waratahs.
    When did I miss this rumour? What personal reasons are these?? I'm curious now!! And I missed the tahs rumour, when did that one come out! I'm behind here

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    keep drew
    for forces sake and robyns sake

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    What personal reasons are these??

His boyfriend is heading East...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    why ask for loyalty when you can buy him?
    i think drew should stay, i stil fail to understand how players such as him attract sponsors though, if the money is there for the force to use and not "just for drew" surely its time to invest in a front row!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    why ask for loyalty when you can buy him?
    i think drew should stay, i stil fail to understand how players such as him attract sponsors though, if the money is there for the force to use and not "just for drew" surely its time to invest in a front row!
    Be careul what you say WJ.....he may well end up in a powder blue jersey next season.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    i dont mind him, i just would prefer to invest in juniors than end up in a bidding war for a back!

vCash
    perhaps the Brumbies are more interested in JOC...

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    You paid more for Tuqiri - and no one else was even bidding!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JediKnight View Post
    Be careul what you say WJ.....he may well end up in a powder blue jersey next season.
    and then we replace him with Digby Ioane

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    You paid more for Tuqiri - and no one else was even bidding!
    lote is a franchise player though, he gets the kids through the gates, he is the only player in nsw with his own shirt and alot of kids wear it! he has probably returned the money with interset, plus, it was all third party anyway through vodafone!

i just dont see drew as having that same effect!

vCash
    Drew Mitchell will likely have to make the same concessions as Matt Giteau did and be prepared to drop some cash to go to another province. Possibly only a short term loss as it will be easier to pick up other Australian sponsors on the east coast as he will be more accessible to the Australian media and event management groups. Realistically it’s much harder to build a public profile when you’re isolated…

As the economy improves in 2010 and the next RWC approaches, rugby players will once again be of more interest to sponsors and be able to gain from on their opportunities...

It's up to his agent to find eastern third party sponsors, it will interesting to see how it unfolds... I expect Drew already understands what is in front of him and has made a decision but will wait for last offers before singing. The Brumbies are still working out who they will re-sign from their current squad for 2010. Players like Peter Betham who has been away on 7s duties, promising big winger Sipa Tamoepeau and speedster Alfi Mafi all have yet to get a run this season. Drew may have to wait a while...

WF winger Cummins looked good on the weekend. I hope Mitch continues to give him a starting spot…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    lote is a franchise player though, he gets the kids through the gates, he is the only player in nsw with his own shirt and alot of kids wear it! he has probably returned the money with interset, plus, it was all third party anyway through vodafone!

i just dont see drew as having that same effect!
    Drew mostly plays 11 and I have a jumper with number 11 on the back... does that count?

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    What personal reasons are these??

His boyfriend is heading East...
    Drew doesn't have a boyfriend!!

Unless you count Gits... aw!

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Drew Mitchell will likely have to make the same concessions as Matt Giteau did and be prepared to drop some cash to go to another province. Possibly only a short term loss as it will be easier to pick up other Australian sponsors on the east coast as he will be more accessible to the Australian media and event management groups. Realistically it’s much harder to build a public profile when you’re isolated…

As the economy improves in 2010 and the next RWC approaches, rugby players will once again be of more interest to sponsors and be able to gain from on their opportunities...

It's up to his agent to find eastern third party sponsors, it will interesting to see how it unfolds... I expect Drew already understands what is in front of him and has made a decision but will wait for last offers before singing. The Brumbies are still working out who they will re-sign from their current squad for 2010. Players like Peter Betham who has been away on 7s duties, promising big winger Sipa Tamoepeau and speedster Alfi Mafi all have yet to get a run this season. Drew may have to wait a while...

WF winger Cummins looked good on the weekend. I hope Mitch continues to give him a starting spot…
    I reckon the Brumbies need to invest in more positions than just the 10-12 channel based upon this weekend's performance.

The whole team looked ordinary apart from a short period where the scrum was dominant, mainly because our lighter forwards were holding them pretty well up to that point. Some front row changes at that point restored parity (but no real dominance for us)

I'd suggest the Brums need Mitchell more than they need JO'C, they looked really short of pace all across the backline, they could then put Lealiifano in 12 and shift Mortlock into a position he can actually play. then all they'd need is a fullback who is more than just a boot and they might threaten. As for forwards, I thought their locks played out of their skin.....not too bad, the Front row were good in the set piece but out enthused everywhere else and the back row were pretty good (but that was mainly Smith being everywhere and being ignored by the ref, where he seemed to pick on blue 6 every time he did anything...it didn't even need to be illegal and he got pinged for it!

All in all, you need a whole new backline, don't spend all your efforts on luring two flyhalves!

C'mon the

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast