Thread: SA getting Cheeky with new Black Super 15 team

vCash

SA getting Cheeky with new Black Super 15 team

SA getting Cheeky with new Black Super 15 team

The South African Rugby Union is about to come under pressure from their government to force through a Black Super Rugby team just days after they questioned whether they should play a New Zealand Maori team as it would be selected on the basis of colour alone.

Eastern Province rugby boss and SARU President's Council member Cheeky Watson who is Luke Watson's father is behind the team to be called the Southern Kings which will be launched on the 16th of June - the anniversary of the Soweto riots.

The rumoured plan is to launch the team which is listed in the British & Irish Lions tour schedule as a Coastal XV and then thereafter they will feature in an expanded Super 15 tournament.
    Already South Africa have two teams that struggle in the Super 14 (the Lions and the Cheetahs) but the pressure is on for this 15th team which will no doubt struggle even more than the Cheetahs who were South Africa's most recent addition.

Watson has urged Sport and Recreation Minister Makhenkesi Stofile to intervene and ensure the "Super 15 franchise" issue is on the agenda for an upcoming Sanzar meeting which is 'coincedentally' to be held this week in Dubai where the Sevens World Cup is being played.

The SA Govt have given their backing for South Africa to bid to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup but this could have been done secretly on condition that the new "Black Super" team goes ahead.
    rest here...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post

The South African Rugby Union is about to come under pressure from their government to force through a Black Super Rugby team just days after they questioned whether they should play a New Zealand Maori team as it would be selected on the basis of colour alone.
    Hello Pot??? This is South Africa- you're black!!!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    How about at least nine existing teams refusing to play a team being built and selected on race alone?
    That might do the trick.

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    This just shows how F***** the world is and how reverse racism is such a wonderful thing.

Seriously this sort of shit pisses me off no end. An all black team, surely they put some thought into this before letting it go to the press.

Well done Swee you hit the proverbial nail on the head with your comment.

vCash
    reverse racism???? Thats msicar. Racism is racism, i.e. the belief that one's own race is superior to any others and that as such it is neccesary to show hostility and ill will to other races. It's as black and white as that!

vCash
    normie.. technically you are correct, however the term "reverse racism" was coined due to the original majority of racist targets being black. eg. Aparteid and UDI in rhodesia, however since then in an attempt to abolish racism in those countries & many other western nations to be fair.. the shoe is firmly on the other foot... leading to those who previously were accused of being racist, now being vilified.

BTW what does msicar mean?

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    racism spelt backwards is msicar

'reverse racism' should not be confused with 'affirmaive action'. One is the result of past racism, the other is an attempt to level a playing field which is lopsided due to previous inequalities.

vCash
    Hang on, hang on. They want to drop the Springbok name and state that teams must have a certain amount of black players in the currie cup teams.

Then they take the shoe of and put it on the other foot and say we are having a team with only black players and you white boys can't play in it.

That is reverse racism not msicar or any other word. Why in todays world is colour still such an issue. The boks aren't saying no black people can't be in the team it's the best players that get the spot black white regardless.

Ooh but the springbok name reminds us of oppression, well what the f*** does an all black team do help the cause. It just starts a whole new arguement.

So just to be clear on this you can have a black only team but you can't have a white only team. Yeah that is msicar, I'll let the dictionary people know we've got a new word to add to it.

vCash
    I Agree with what you are saying WRF. Whatever the word (thanks for enlightening me, zimeric) I think that forming a team where the criteria for membership is based on your skin colour is not going to help anything- if anything it is reverse apartheid !!!!! What is there to gain using the principles of a flawed and odious ideology??!!!! NOTHING ..... In fact, I think its more likely to spark up racist sentiment. I hope that if it goes ahead I am proven wrong.

Last edited by normie; 01-03-09 at 12:56. Reason: fix a grammar blue

Player
    vCash
    Important distinction between "RACISM"- 'the belief that one's own race is superior to any others' (thanks Normie) and "RACIAL DISCRIMINATION"- people being selected from only one racial group. Having said that I don't think a team selected with a policy of racial discrimination has any place in Super Rugby

NB The same also applies for Sexism and Sexual Discrimination. Not sure you'd convince many that Netball team seelction was 'sexist'

vCash
    I don't know why Watson felt the need to make such a divisive comment - everyone knows that any team from Port Elizabeth is going to be primarily black just because of the region's demographics and the sheer number of players there. To say that it will give the black players in the eastern Cape (about a third of the country's total rugby-playing population I believe) more opportunities is something to be proud of but to call it a 'black franchise' has to be disheartening to any white players in the region.