Thread: Openside clash will be tester

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Openside clash will be tester

Openside clash will be tester

Bret Harris | February 27, 2009

Article from: The Australian

THE fanfare over Matt Giteau's return to Canberra has overshadowed one of the key match-ups in the Brumbies' match against Western Force tomorrow night.

Australia's premier openside flanker George Smith will go head to head with rising no7 David Pocock in a clash which will have a major bearing on the result.
    Smith, a veteran of 96 Tests, is regarded as one of the top two opensides in world rugby along with All Black Richie McCaw, while Pocock has the potential to surpass the two great flankers.

"It will be an interesting battle," Smith said. "David is a very competent player and I'll have my hands full this weekend."

But Smith said he could not afford to focus on a one-on-one battle with Pocock.
    "If you focus on the individual battle rather than the team, you will lose the significance of the game plan," Smith said.

"Individual battles take care of themselves. You have to focus on the team."
    Pocock, 20, played in two Tests on the Wallabies tour of Hong Kong and Europe last year, but he is expected to dominate the gold No7 jersey for much of the next decade.

"I'm really excited," Pocock said. "I love playing against George. I've learnt a lot from him.

"George has been the best for a long time. It's an opportunity for me to test myself.

"But I'm not huge on individual battles. I'll just play as well as I can and see what happens."

Smith and Pocock will be the dominant figures at the breakdown, which will be decisive, but both backrows are mobile and ball-hungry.

Every member of each backrow -- Smith, Julian Salvi and Stephen Hoiles at the Brumbies and Pocock, Matt Hodgson and
    Richard Brown at the Force -- has the ability to play openside, which means the heat on the ball will be white hot.

"The breakdown is a big thing, especially at first phase," Pocock said. "It's really important."

The Brumbies have won their first two games with come-from-behind finishes against the Highlanders and the Crusaders.

"We are going well, but there are a number of things we can work on," Smith said.
    "The way we are finishing games off is a credit to our fitness.

"We had a tough pre-season and we are in pretty good nick. We are playing the full 80 minutes rather than clocking off in the 70th minute."

The Force has split its first two games against the Blues and Cheetahs in Perth.
    Pocock believes the Force has an opportunity to set itself up for the season with its next three games on the road, which also include matches with the Chiefs and Crusaders.
    "We have three tough away games, starting in Canberra," Pocock said. "We do well away from home. It will be good to get some points and come home again."
    While Smith will be battling with Pocock, he will also be looking to contain his once and future team-mate, Giteau.

"I keep a close eye on every No10," Smith said. "He is a quality player. You are very aware of his skills."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...015656,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    "It will be an interesting battle," Smith said. "David is a very competent player and I'll have my hands full this weekend."
    you better belive it!!

Go Bam Bam!!
    <== <==

<>

Champion
    vCash
    George, go north for the dollars mate, as our man Bam will be wearing the green and gold for over 100 tests with the number 7 jersey on !!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Well, we'll be kind and let him four more Caps, he deserves the ton

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Champion Contributor sandgroperrugby's Avatar
    vCash
    After so many years of cheering for George Smith arguably on of Australia’s best back rowers and my favourite Wallaby I would never wish the guy any ill. He still has so much to offer for Australian Rugby especially mentoring the likes of David Pocock, I for one hope he doesn’t go overseas and does stay around to play in the next world cup.

I hope George has an outstanding game I just hope Pocock goes one better!

Veteran Contributor The EnForcer's Avatar
    vCash
    OK, putting myself up for a put down here but, IMHO, our man Bam Bam did not have a great game against the Cheetas and I think Brown did more of the ferreting in the breakdowns than he did. I just hope that Bam Bam stays on his feet a wee bit more this time and runs more with Brown off the breakdown....if that happens it will be a leathal combination!

Hit me......

Oh yeah, on topic....George is pretty amazing and if the boys get on top of him then much respect will have to be given.

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I agree in as much as I was surprised to hear he got man of the match.
    It is often said of a good #7 that you shouldn't see him as he is at the bottom of every ruck but I think that has changed and when Bam is running hot you see him all the time, I didn't have that sense last week.

Can I hit you anyway?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Catch me if you can fat boy

Just happy to be here

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Too easy, I'll just wait for the next time you "lose" your key

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    ah yes, that old cookie...let's move on......

Just happy to be here