Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jake White in contact with the Western Force

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Jake White in contact with the Western Force

Jake White in contact with the Western Force

Bret Harris | February 25, 2009

Article from: The Australian

WORLD Cup-winning Springboks coach Jake White has emerged as a potential candidate to take over the reins at the Western Force if the Super 14 franchise releases its embattled coach John Mitchell at the end of the season.

An informed source has told The Australian that White has already been in contact with the Force.

Mitchell, whose coaching methods and management style were the subject of a recent inquiry, remains contracted to the Force until 2011. But there is still uncertainty about his future.

It is understood the Force has already decided that if it does cut Mitchell, it will replace him with another high-profile coach.

The recruitment of Mitchell, who coached the All Blacks from 2001 to 2003, was regarded as a coup for the Force, which opposed the wishes of the ARU by signing the first foreign coach of an Australian Super rugby team.
    White, who achieved what Mitchell failed to do by guiding the Springboks to victory in the 2007 World Cup in France, would certainly provide the Force with instant credibility.

A coach of White's stature would help the Force retain and recruit players.
    He has not coached a team since the World Cup but has acted as a consultant to English club Saracens.

There are fears in the west of a player exodus following Wallabies five-eighth Matt Giteau's decision to return to the Brumbies next year.

Force fullback/winger Drew Mitchell is being chased by the Brumbies, NSW Waratahs and Queensland Reds, while the Waratahs are also very interested in young Force inside centre James O'Connor.

Indications are that Mitchell will follow his close friend Giteau to Canberra.

Mitchell said that joining Giteau in Canberra was "an option worth looking at".
    "A big part of my reasoning in coming over here was to play with Matt Giteau," Mitchell said.

"It's going to weigh quite heavily in my considerations as to what team I'll play with next year.

"My next contract will take me to another World Cup campaign (in New Zealand in 2011) and I want to make sure that I give myself every opportunity to be in the reckoning for that."

There was speculation the Waratahs would intensify their efforts to recruit Mitchell if current fullback Sam Norton-Knight accepted an offer to play in Japan or Europe.
    But the Waratahs are keen to secure Mitchell and O'Connor whether Norton-Knight stays in Sydney or not.

The Waratahs' backline has stuttered a little bit in its opening two wins against the Hurricanes and Cheetahs.

But with Mitchell at fullback and O'Connor at inside centre, the Waratahs would field one of the classiest backlines in world rugby.

Force CEO Greg Harris said earlier in the week the club would recruit a foreign five-eighth or inside centre to replace Giteau.

But John Mitchell said yesterday the Force would seek a marquee number 10.
    While the 18-year-old O'Connor was a long-term prospect at five-eighth, Mitchell saw his immediate future at inside centre.

"James is going to be a very good player," Mitchell said. "He can play three positions, but he's very young and needs to gain experience. And the best way to gain experience is by playing but also being surrounded by a person who does have experience and that's a solution to arrive at.

"Most of the players who have become great fly-halves in the world, like Dan Carter and Matt, started their careers at 12 and moved into 10.

"It gives them time and space and also allows them to give voice to their fly-half and also for them to see opportunities to present themselves.

"So I see in time, as he develops that plus his kicking game, that he can become a very good fly-half.

"In terms of our capability we've still got a great opportunity to develop players. And we've got a chance to buy the best in the world."

While players will no doubt leave the Force, fears of a mass exodus are overstated.
    The Force has about 20 players coming off contract, but there are only so many vacancies at the other three teams.

The Force received a boost yesterday when Australia under-20 second rower/flanker Sam Wykes re-signed for two years.

Wykes played nine games for the Force last year but he is recovering from an off-season shoulder injury.

"I have really enjoyed my time in Perth and I'm happy to have the opportunity to develop here at the Western Force for at least the next two years," Wykes said.
    "I got my first opportunity here and we've got a really good squad and I'm looking forward to getting back on the field."

Additional reporting: AAP

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...9-2722,00.html

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

An informed source has told The Australian

Somebody must be making a bloody fortune leaking all of this!
    IF its true Jake Whites not bad.
    Lets start a petition to keep Mitch

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SNOBSRFC View Post
    Somebody must be making a bloody fortune leaking all of this!
    IF its true Jake Whites not bad.
    Lets start a petition to keep Mitch
    Send RWA the sign from here:

http://twf.com.au/vbpgimage.php?do=f...5&d=1232979597

as for "Somebody must be making a bloody fortune leaking all of this!", it wouldnt be Bret Harris, since its all re-re-rehashed

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    :O
    jake white...
    but i like mitch but still

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Jake White blows. It could be worse but I'd sooner have an Australian coach if not keeping the one we have.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    I think this is all bullshit, a top coach wouldn't approach another team that still has a coach contracted to it. All these rumours and gossip are just destablising the team and making players think twice about re-signing. Do we really want a foriegn born Marquee player being signed? I would much rather we made an effort to keep the players we have got and develop the young ones coming up. If we can keep J O'C at 12 and play Scott Daruda at 10 I think that would be the way to go. Daruda seems to be ignored in all of this, I'm sure he has learnt heaps from Gits as well

vCash
    White is a good coach, and he wouldn't be a terrible choice, but can we please give Mitch till the end of his tenure!! Give Mitch a break, the bloke is a good coach, I am sick of all this media garbage ragging on him as the main problem behind the Force! Do people forget that the coach doesn't actually play on the field, he is their to help set the players up for their time on the field. It is up to the players to get the job done, not the coach. The coach is the guide, he can only do some much seriously!!!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    "Western Force members contact Western Force!"
    ....to renew memberships or buy stuff from WFSS.

"ARU in contact with Western Force!"
    ... to discuss rugby matters.

"Corporates in contact with Western Force!"
    ... to discuss sponsorship.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    Send RWA the sign from here:

http://twf.com.au/vbpgimage.php?do=f...5&d=1232979597

as for "Somebody must be making a bloody fortune leaking all of this!", it wouldnt be Bret Harris, since its all re-re-rehashed
    I will be on that..what's their email address plse?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hertryk View Post
    I will be on that..what's their email address plse?
    http://www.rugbywa.com.au/rugbywa/st...cts,54466.html

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    He would certainly have the profile, but this would be the same White that needed a hand from Eddie Jones?

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    He would certainly have the profile, but this would be the same White that needed a hand from Eddie Jones?
    No that was John White. This is his brother.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    So if you get Jake White do you get Eddie Jones as well.....

vCash
    I wondered that to Mud.

Bit early for April Fools Jokes isn't it.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    I don't know what the deal is with all this Jake White bashing. But no, I don't think we need him right now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast