Thread: Has footy gone soft?

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash

Has footy gone soft?

A blog on The Worst's website:

"When Collingwood challenge the four-week ban on captain Nick Maxwell for the bump which broke Eagle Patrick McGinnity’s jaw, they will ask the appeals tribunal to find “no tribunal acting reasonably could have reached this verdict on the evidence before it”.

The appeals tribunal will be entitled to retort: “Which rock have you blokes been living under for the last few years?”

The Maxwell penalty has the Melbourne media in a flap about the future of the bump.

One article accused AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson of making forceful front on contact with the traditions of the game. A headline read: Maxwell hard hit by bump. Another suggested that such pedantic nonsense was the reason Nathan Buckley had resigned from the rules committee and another “graciously” bemoaned the fact that McGinnity’s jaw was “displaced” by the contact.

Maxwell hit hard by bump? I could have sworn McGinnity was the one hit hard. Jaw displaced? Try broken. McGinnity has had a plate inserted in his jaw and could miss three months."

blah blah blah....

anyway, one comment made me LOL

"Really funny the WA media and fans, loved it when Worsefold was dishing it out, couldn’t wait to get to the ground to see who he iron out next. As soon as one of their handbag carrying, stilletto wearing, two weeks short of a full callendar, nanciy boys cops a bump it’s worse than bodyline…………please, dry your eyes and get on with the season. "

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    anyway, one comment made me LOL

"Really funny the WA media and fans, loved it when Worsefold was dishing it out, couldn’t wait to get to the ground to see who he iron out next. As soon as one of their handbag carrying, stilletto wearing, two weeks short of a full callendar, nanciy boys cops a bump it’s worse than bodyline…………please, dry your eyes and get on with the season. "

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    yes AFL is soft

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    I think it is great. Eventually you won't be able to challenge other than by grabbing the player in a gentle cuddle and only with his express consent. They will have to stop players running so far, so they will have to legislate that the player must take only a couple of steps before stopping and disposing of the ball. The only defense will be to form walls of players in the way, so they'll need to narrow the ground to, say 70m wide. But the ball will still be too easy to kick or punch accurately over long distance, so they will need to put some uncertainty into it - get a lighter and larger ball to increase wind effect (like a rugby ball), and maybe even make it round so it swerves (maybe a volleyball). With less distance possible, they can bring the length of the ground down to, say, 120m, and that's it, we will all be on the same page.

Of course, Rugby will be the priority tenant at the only appropriately sized ground, but I'm sure we will be a considerate landlord.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    handbag carrying, stilletto wearing, two weeks short of a full callendar, nanciy boys cops a bump it’s worse than bodyline…………please, dry your eyes and get on with the season. "

Pure gold!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
    I think it is great. Eventually you won't be able to challenge other than by grabbing the player in a gentle cuddle and only with his express consent. They will have to stop players running so far, so they will have to legislate that the player must take only a couple of steps before stopping and disposing of the ball. The only defense will be to form walls of players in the way, so they'll need to narrow the ground to, say 70m wide. But the ball will still be too easy to kick or punch accurately over long distance, so they will need to put some uncertainty into it - get a lighter and larger ball to increase wind effect (like a rugby ball), and maybe even make it round so it swerves (maybe a volleyball). With less distance possible, they can bring the length of the ground down to, say, 120m, and that's it, we will all be on the same page.

Of course, Rugby will be the priority tenant at the only appropriately sized ground, but I'm sure we will be a considerate landlord.
    and there we have Gallic football...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold View Post
    and there we have Gallic football...
    Very close to Netball me thinks!!! Of course nothing against the ladies who play netball who are far more tougher then GAYFL players!

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnoBarbarians View Post
    Of course nothing against the ladies who play netball who are far more tougher then GAYFL players!
    I love to hear you say that to Barry Hall...

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    I'd be more then happy too... and after I did I'm sure he would sucker punch me as I'm walking away...

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnoBarbarians View Post
    I'd be more then happy too... and after I did I'm sure he would sucker punch me as I'm walking away...
    big bad bazza destroyed the periodic table because he only recognises the element of surprise

coz Stone Cold says so

vCash
    AJ wouldn't say that to Big Bad Bazza. He'd tattoo it to his forhead!

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    AJ wouldn't say that to Big Bad Bazza. He'd tattoo it to his forhead!
    That's fine but can we not have a thread about who would win this in a cage fight.

Gayfl comes alongside men who play mixed netball and bash their female opponents around. "Look at me I'm tough and get to show this by going in hard against a girl".

"I pity the fool, now quit your jibber jabber and get some nuts".