Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: South Africa threatens to quit Super 14

vCash
    Which broadcasters were clamouring to broadcast.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    going off the topic a tad but does anyone know if there are any bok v wallabies or all blacks games in SA in early july???

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by beige View Post
    Which broadcasters were clamouring to broadcast.
    Merely noting that 10HD has been spending up to get loads of sporting content, but it all had to come from overseas. Still, they'll be happy that Nascar will be getting FTA exposure in Australia, they need it so much more than other sports...

vCash
    I'd be disappointed to see them go but if they want out, we'll build a great competition regardless. If I was a player, I'd be devastated. A 3-4 week tour to South Africa must be a great experience. A rugby mad culture, fantastic stadiums packed full of fanatic fans, great atmosphere, 5 star hotels for a month, playing rugby, training, sinking a lot of p1ss and knobbing some of the hottest tottie on the planet...............I'd give anything

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

vCash
    I guess I'm a little biased, being an ex-saffa, but I do like them in the competition. Purely for my own reasons though. Not in the interest of any rugby stuff. If they aren't playing super14 then what impact would that have on the trinations? I'd hope they won't want out of that too. But if they're going to be stupid, then they're going to be stupid.

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    If the SA rugby left who would do the squirrel grip....?
    and the footraking and the deliberate slowdowns and...

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    But if they're going to be stupid, then they're going to be stupid.
    We're talking about SA Rugby, they're going to be stupid it's not a question of if but how!

C'mon the

vCash
    cant really blame south africa, i mean the S14 season hardly works in there favour, especially with the timezone factor.

At least in Australia and New Zealand there are 9 teams in the time zone, which means on the weekend we at least have 5-6 games in the 5pm-10pm time bracket. South Africa only has 5 teams, this weekend they will have 3 games but if you look ahead to round 4, the bull vs stormers match is the only game been played in there time zone.

If we were in there position, we would have undoubtedly done what they are planning a longtime ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    If we were in there position, we would have undoubtedly done what they are planning a longtime ago.
    Depends how much money we'd lose by doing it...

vCash
    well i would imagine due to the reasons already posted that that this would actually work out better financially for them...

Some of the NH teams might not be as good as the S14 teams which would slightly decrease demand, yet the fact that they are all played in the same timezone would be a lot more attractive to the broadcasters and hence potentially more funding.

vCash
    Like Andy said earlier, how many of the Magners league clubs are realisticly going to want to play in South Africa in December/Jaunuary/Febuary?

Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    We're talking about SA Rugby, they're going to be stupid it's not a question of if but how!
    I was going to say the same thing

vCash

Timezones?

cant really blame south africa, i mean the S14 season hardly works in there favour, especially with the timezone factor.

At least in Australia and New Zealand there are 9 teams in the time zone, which means on the weekend we at least have 5-6 games in the 5pm-10pm time bracket. South Africa only has 5 teams, this weekend they will have 3 games but if you look ahead to round 4, the bull vs stormers match is the only game been played in there time zone.

So what about when Australian teams and NZ go to RSA for the away games?

It works both ways! Plus the time difference between WA and NZ is 4 hours which is only 2-3 hours difference from RSA.

I don't think that argument is really good enough. Maybe some consideration needs to be made when RSA teams play with regard to timezones, but I have a feeling this already happens.

If a game kicks off on the east coast of Australia at say 19:30 that means it starts Saturday morning in RSA at 10:30. How is that a bad thing that they get rugby in the morning???

Worst case (NZ game) really would probably be that their games start a 0600 in the morning. I really don't see how that is so bad, since most RSA games only show early hours of the morning here in Australia!!!!

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so!

I vote - GIVE US A RECTANGLE STADIUM!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unipirate View Post
    So what about when Australian teams and NZ go to RSA for the away games?

It works both ways! Plus the time difference between WA and NZ is 4 hours which is only 2-3 hours difference from RSA.

I don't think that argument is really good enough. Maybe some consideration needs to be made when RSA teams play with regard to timezones, but I have a feeling this already happens.

If a game kicks off on the east coast of Australia at say 19:30 that means it starts Saturday morning in RSA at 10:30. How is that a bad thing that they get rugby in the morning???

Worst case (NZ game) really would probably be that their games start a 0600 in the morning. I really don't see how that is so bad, since most RSA games only show early hours of the morning here in Australia!!!!

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so!
    listen, if you are so sure you are right then why would south africa be even considering the idea to start with?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unipirate View Post
    Perth is 7 Hours in front of South Africa

New Zealand is 11 Hours in Front

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    listen, if you are so sure you are right then why would south africa be even considering the idea to start with?
    Apparently they aren't ("Honestly Guv, the thought never even crossed me mind...!")
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marinos: 'We're committed to SANZAR'
    Tue, 17 Feb 2009 16:58

Acting SA Rugby Managing Director Andy Marinos has moved quickly to dismiss speculation that South African Rugby was considering breaking links with the Super 14 in favour of a new European competition.

Marinos, who says he would normally ignore any media speculation, admitted that he could not help but move to clarify the situation regarding the future of the current SANZAR agreement.

"There is not a jot of truth in this speculation and we wouldn't normally even bother responding to such a story," said Marinos in an SA Rugby statement.

"But as it has now grown via the internet from speculation from one source in Australasia to a real possibility in websites across Europe we thought rugby supporters would like the record put straight.

"So let me put it quite plainly: we have had no informal or formal discussions with the Magners League - or any European-based leagues for that matter - about deserting our SANZAR partners and playing in a northern hemisphere-based tournament. And nor do we have any plans to hold such discussions."....

Rest...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast