Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have a siege mentality?

Rookie
    vCash

Do we have a siege mentality?

Its just a question , do you think the Eastern states press are really out to knock the force down a peg or two or do they treat the force the same as everyone else?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Rookie
    vCash
    5. The siege beliefs indirectly answer the need for a sense of superiority. The belief that the rest of the world has negative intentions toward the society implies also that the other groups are evil and malevolent; it is indeed a common practice to delegate the responsibility for conflict situations to other groups. In Japan of the 1930s this function was very salient.

6. Siege beliefs help to satisfy the basic needs for freedom of action and for self-reliance. A society that believes the world has negative intentions against it and does not trust other nations, also feels less restricted by the international norms and agreements that usually limit nations' scope of action. It also satisfies needs for self-reliance, which usually function as a source of pride and self-esteem. For example, this function is evident in the behavior of North Korea and Israel.

Consequences of the Siege Mentality

Siege beliefs have emotional and behavioral implications that can have serious consequences for the society, as well as for the international community.

1. The threatened society with siege beliefs develops negative attitudes towards other societies, which may be accompanied with feelings of xenophobia and chauvinism.

2. The society becomes extremely sensitive to any information and cues transmitted by other societies that may indicate negative intentions. This developed sensitivity is based on lack of trust and suspicion that society members feel toward other societies which, in their view, have negative intentions.

vCash
    my dad reckons we cop a load of cow pats because we dont have a lot of 'home grown talent' and that we steal from other states.

not our fault that we utilise unknown talent into brilliant talent that turn into wallabies stars

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

Rookie
    vCash
    thats true but if another team started in melbourne and the force players were 90% local and the new team took half of them including your captain would you be upset?
    and how would you feel if with a foreign coach that a couple of them went on to play for australia?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    Its just a question , do you think the Eastern states press are really out to knock the force down a peg or two or do they treat the force the same as everyone else?
    I don't read a lot of Eastern States media, just the Oz, which does have an Eastern States bias, but they are writing to their market. I find both Wayne Smith and Bret Harris fairly balanced in their reports. I can't recall a Harris article trying to knock the Force down a peg or two.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Yes we do have a level of seige mentality, then again most societies do just to differing levels.

Is it a serious problem? Most likely not any real threat.

Why, well I have covered some of the reasons for WA vs East in another thread. There are more reasons why though - our level of geographical isolation, the fact that for about the first ~50 years of existance we had negligable population growth and survival was not assumed.
    I read an interesting letter by the Govenor of the Swan River Colony after Falaguist (I think that is the right name - early IRA) convicts escaped on an American ship. Basic jist of the letter was how it highlighted the need to strenghten WA's defences because the IRA could take WA at any given moment, hilarious with hindsight.

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    We don't have a seige mentality. We live in the most remote capitcal city in the world. Having livedin Perth, you know it's the best city in Australia to live in. Nothing wrong with not accepting anyone try to tell us differently.

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Yeah. I hate anything from the eastern States. Particularly anything in powder puff blue.

vCash
    I hate many things eastern that have infiltrated WA, most notably Victorian Football

vCash
    Not all of us grew up in WA
    From an outsiders perspective, the locals are pretty parochial and look to find hidden meaning in every comment about WA etc.........not quite as bad as the Queenslanders. They win the gold medal in paranoia and parochialism.

Journalists in the eastern states are paid to fill papers. There is a certain amount of home town bias in all states so we shouldn't become hyper paranoid because a journalist in Sydney/Brisbane may have put a favourable slant on their own home team.......it is their readership that buys it.

Siege mentalitiy narrows the mind, shrinks the opportunities and limits your ability. Lets continue to plunder their up and coming talent, pillage the junior springboks and go about our business without a care in the world. Let them wallow in their murky pools of hate.

We're building a winning rugby team. They are jealous and worried we may succeed. It's their problem, let them worry about it. Eastern States paranoia means we are doing something right. Don't worry about them.

QLD and NSW have the player development and depth to field 3 teams. If they haven't developed it, that's their problem.

Niggle a Queenslander, it is very enjoyable

The Tahs are hyper paranoid about being perennial losers despite being the "big brother" of the ARU. They simply suck

They hated the Brumbies when they came in and were instantly successful.

Don't worry about it.

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

Rookie
    vCash
    i think if live in other parts of the world you lose threat way of thinking coach.

you realise everywhere has good and bad to it.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Well I personally enjoy my seige mentality, at least the very superficial one I use to take the piss out of "the wise men from the East"
    Almost every former colonial society would have one, it's a part of their nature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    Yeah. I hate anything from the eastern States. Particularly anything in powder puff blue.
    Now now old boy, you've obviously been away for too long. The Reds fans and Tah fans are bedfellows these days. They hate the Force now

How about some running rugby from the attack coach?

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselhead View Post
    Now now old boy, you've obviously been away for too long. The Reds fans and Tah fans are bedfellows these days. They hate the Force now

I feel the love brother!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chiselhead View Post
    Not all of us grew up in WA
    From an outsiders perspective, the locals are pretty parochial and look to find hidden meaning in every comment about WA etc.........not quite as bad as the Queenslanders. They win the gold medal in paranoia and parochialism.

Journalists in the eastern states are paid to fill papers. There is a certain amount of home town bias in all states so we shouldn't become hyper paranoid because a journalist in Sydney/Brisbane may have put a favourable slant on their own home team.......it is their readership that buys it.

Siege mentalitiy narrows the mind, shrinks the opportunities and limits your ability. Lets continue to plunder their up and coming talent, pillage the junior springboks and go about our business without a care in the world. Let them wallow in their murky pools of hate.

We're building a winning rugby team. They are jealous and worried we may succeed. It's their problem, let them worry about it. Eastern States paranoia means we are doing something right. Don't worry about them.

QLD and NSW have the player development and depth to field 3 teams. If they haven't developed it, that's their problem.

Niggle a Queenslander, it is very enjoyable

The Tahs are hyper paranoid about being perennial losers despite being the "big brother" of the ARU. They simply suck

They hated the Brumbies when they came in and were instantly successful.

Don't worry about it.

Never thought the day would come that I praised you! (no offence)

I reckon you're spot on for the most part. Also think that the siege mentality isn't just because of Eastern States media angling against the Force, The West has had a story or 2 against the Force as well. So I guess as supporters we're so used to defending our team when at times it seems like everyone is having a go. Not saying its a bad thing though, means they know there is a following of dedicated supporters & people who will stick by them. It just gets annoying when you're own state can't stand up for its own team. But it all makes them stronger if they can handle the media then they're set for taking criticism.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast