Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Waratahs thrash Fiji Warriors in front of a crowd of 7438

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Waratahs thrash Fiji Warriors in front of a crowd of 7438

Waratahs thrash Fiji Warriors

30th January 2009, 20:00 WST
    Centre Timana Tahu made a storming return from injury in the Waratahs' 60-0 thumping of the Fiji Warriors in a rugby trial on Friday night.
    Tahu scored a try and set-up another as the Waratahs outclassed their lesser opponents in a 10-try to nil romp at EnergyAustralia Stadium in Newcastle before a 7,438-strong crowd.
    Fullback Lachie Turner scored a double and contributed three from seven with the boot.
    Coach Chris Hickey sent his strongest possible starting team on to the field for the opening half, with seven Wallabies enjoying their first run since the spring tour.
    It was Tahu's first game back since being sent home from the tour with a hamstring injury and it didn't take long for the star league convert to announce his return.
    NSW enjoyed the early possession and spent plenty of time in Fiji's 22 but were unable to turn possession into points until the 15th minute when Tahu broke the deadlock with one of his first touches of the night, crashing over for the first try.
    Tahu delighted the Waratahs faithful again when he made a storming 40 metre run, splitting the defence, then drawing in the numbers, before off loading to winger Lote Tuqiri 10m out for another five-pointer.
    With a 29-0 halftime lead, Hickey rang in wholesale changes, replacing everyone except lock Ben Mowen, Turner and Tuqiri.
    The less-experienced Tahs, with Kurtley Beale replacing Daniel Halangahu at flyhalf, piled on 12 points in third of four 20-minute quarters and finished off their opponents with tries to winger Peter Playford and Halangahu and Beale in the last.
    Al Baxter captained the Waratahs in the absence of Phil Waugh, who was ruled out on Thursday after rolling his ankle at training.
    The Fiji Warriors performed a traditional cibi war dance prior to the match as the players enjoyed the evening's cool change after temperatures had reached 32 degrees.
    Coach Hickey said the 60-0 whitewash still served as a chance for his rep players to get some game time and for him to assess the squad two weeks from the start of the Super 14.
    "Look the scoreboard probably wasn't our focus all the time, it was a matter of getting some of our players game time and some of the tourists, it's probably been eight, nine weeks since they've actually played a game, so from that point of view it was a good hit out from them," Hickey said.
    He praised local boy, Tahu's return to rugby.
    "Tahu showed some really good touches there, with some really good footwork and some offloading, I'm very pleased with his performance," Hickey said.
    Tahu said he had no physical complaints and was looking forward to facing off with Stirling Mortlock and the Brumbies on Thursday.
    "It was good to be back here, mixed emotions, this is where it all started for me, it was only a trial but for me personally, it's good to be home."
    AAP
    http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=122166

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    They will have learnt a lot for their season out of that outing...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    most probably the only convincing victory they will have

vCash

vCash
    Another record breaking crowd for the Waratahs! Their popularity is astounding...just wait till they come over hear and 30,000 turn up to watch them and the best team in Australia!

Brother Gallagher I hear you

vCash
    also if your wondering why NSW played Fiji, its because NSW actually have a development agreement with Fiji, there are also a couple of Fiji players in the NSW Academy as as part of the development program.

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pieter blackie View Post
    most probably the only convincing victory they will have
    Perhaps we shouldn't speak too loudly. We don't have a history of putting the opposition to the sword just yet.

I've managed to regrow my fingernails in the offseason, hope I keep them this year.

vCash
    waratahs - 2 wins 0 losses
    qld - 0 wins 2 losses
    brumbies 1 win 0 losses
    force - 0 wins 1 loss

if anyone wants a good deal on a tahs jersey, give us a call, we dont just beat state, we beat countries now!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    if anyone wants a good deal on a tahs jersey, give us a call, we dont just beat state, we beat countries now!
    How much are you paying WJ?

You'll need to at least cover the cost of the ceremonial burning, remember NSWRU hasn't got enough money to get us to wear one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    How much are you paying WJ?

You'll need to at least cover the cost of the ceremonial burning, remember NSWRU hasn't got enough money to get us to wear one.
    sorry, run that by me again cowboy? "nswru hasnt got enough money to get us to wear one" huh?

at least we dont have to move to a stadium that holds less than half the one were at due to economic concerns....ohh thats right, there doing it for the fans!

vCash
    You or the entire state of NSW could not pay me enough money to wear a tahs jersey. Pretty simple really.

vCash
    well, we could, i put it to you that saying we couldnt pay you enough is complete bs! i think we could pay you and still have enough left over to develop our own talent!

vCash
    i think we could pay you and still have enough left over to develop our own talent!
    Buying NRL players?

vCash
    do you cheer for ryan cross, nsw developed, league seasoned, purple pansy?

vCash
    well, we could, i put it to you that saying we couldnt pay you enough is complete bs! i think we could pay you and still have enough left over to develop our own talent!
    I am sorry WJ but I am not a prostitute. Go try and buy someone else, I shall never wear a tahs jersey. It is called pride, it's not for sale.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast