Thread: Josh Holmes underlines potential with great display as Brumbies win trial

vCash

Thumbs up Josh Holmes underlines potential with great display as Brumbies win trial

Josh Holmes underlines potential with great display as Brumbies win trial

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,...002381,00.html

By David Beniuk
    January 30, 2009

BRUMBIES half-back Josh Holmes gave an early indication he intends to challenge Luke Burgess for the Australian No.9 jersey in 2009 with a dominant display in a 28-14 Super 14 trial win over the Hurricanes at Canberra Stadium.

Holmes was in everything during his first half run and scored the only try of the first 40 in the 29th minute on a hot night in the national capital.

The No.9 was on the spot to crash over after 2008 revelation Tyrone Smith had made an incisive burst, Mark Gerrard's conversion giving the home side a 7-0 half-time lead.

The former Waratahs half-back also came close on two other occasions as the Brumbies began their new era under Andy Friend by dominating the territory and possession against an under strength Hurricanes side.

It wasn't all good news for the 22-year-old who was assisted off at half-time after taking a heavy knock following one of his trademark bursts.

Holmes has long been highly rated but is yet to realise his full potential, something he hoped would turn around when he switched to the Brumbies last year.

Burgess starred for the Waratahs last year but had a mixed debut international season, with his passing game coming under scrutiny.

Coach Friend made nine changes at half-time, including Holmes's replacement, ex-Western Force recruit James Stannard, and former Wallaby winger Clyde Rathbone, playing his first game for the Brumbies in nearly two years.

The Canes made 10 changes, including Cory Jane who scored his side's first try five minutes after the break to make it 7-7.

A try under the posts to Wallaby prop Ben Alexander put the Brumbies ahead again 14-7 but the visitors hit back three minutes later through Zac Guildford as the second favourites for this year's Super 14 title began to get the better of the Brumbies' Bs.

But the Brumbies third half-back to be used, Patrick Phibbs, sealed the win with a 76th minute five-pointer before Afusipa Taumoepeau scored out wide to make it 28-14.

Test stars Stirling Mortlock, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Stephen Moore and George Smith sat out the trial.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash

Holmes shines in Brumbies win

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...818729300.html

Friend confirmed man-of-the-match Holmes had suffered no serious injury.

"I thought he did really well, he had a good 40 minutes there,'' the coach said.

Holmes said his first priority was to secure the Brumbies' starting position.

"I wanted to get a bit more consistency and a bit more confidence this year and running the ball a bit more myself ... I definitely want to be a running halfback,'' he said.

"I definitely want to be the No.9 for the Brumbies but there's still a lot of work to go so I'll keep working hard at that.

"I'll take confidence away from this game.''

Friend was pleased with his first night at the helm.

"The most important thing for us is we're playing our style of rugby and I saw enough there today to say there's been a lot of intention in the stuff we've been putting in in the last 14 weeks, we can get better at that,'' he said.

BRUMBIES 28 (Josh Holmes, Ben Alexander, Patrick Phibbs, Afusipa Taumoepeau tries; Mark Gerrard, Matt Toomua 3 cons) bt HURRICANES 14 (Cory Jane, Zac Guildford tries; Daniel Kirkpatrick 2 cons) at Canberra Stadium. Referee: Ian Smith.

vCash
    jesus... how early do we want to discuss the wallabies?

slow it way down and concentrate on the competition at hand... getting through that injury free, and working on his weak spots as the opposistion identifies them will keep him busy enough.

if he can do that then he should (by all rights) set himself up nicely for a wallabies jersey come june.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

slow it way down and concentrate on the competition at hand... getting through that injury free, and working on his weak spots as the opposistion identifies them will keep him busy enough.

if he can do that then he should (by all rights) set himself up nicely for a wallabies jersey come june.

I agree journos blowing things out of proportion... Josh (sorry Luke) just needs to focus on the game ahead each week and what the coach is asking him to do on the field... He has been talked up for years, he has plenty of talent just needs to settle in to the S14 format and he’ll do well. He’s a ten year player…with genuine promise...

Last edited by mudskipper; 31-01-09 at 07:48.

vCash

his not the only one:
    Valentine, Shepherd hunt for Wallabies caps

but yes, i think all the provinces halfbacks have now been mentioned in articles as possible Wallaby halfbacks..

Holmes
    Burgess
    Lucas
    Valentine

Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    I agree journos blowing things out of proportion... Luke just needs to focus on the game ahead each week and what the coach is asking him to do on the field... He has been talked up for years, he has plenty of talent just needs to settle in to the S14 format and he’ll do well. He’s a ten year player…with genuine promise...
    dont you mean Josh?

Last edited by TOCC; 30-01-09 at 22:37.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    dont you mean Josh?
    Him too

Though you get a tad confusing at times too TOCC???

but yes, i think all the provinces 5/8's have now been mentioned in articles as possible Wallaby halfbacks..

Holmes
    Burgess
    Lucas
    Valentine

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Luke Holmes, Luke Burgess, Luke Lucas

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Skywalker?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Him too

Though you get a tad confusing at times too TOCC???

but yes, i think all the provinces 5/8's have now been mentioned in articles as possible Wallaby halfbacks..

Holmes
    Burgess
    Lucas
    Valentine
    touche, i blame the return to work drinks i had tonight... jelly shots, punch and at one point we were playing goon of fortune with the fan...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    goon of fortune??

gotta tell us that one

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by travelling_gerry View Post
    goon of fortune??

gotta tell us that one
    i think this video explains all, now just replace the clothes line with a fan... a now badly damaged fan

[YOUTUBE]vqFFyW01FXA[/YOUTUBE]

yeah pretty silly, but hey first day back at work and most of us are best mates so we tend to 'party' when the wives and girlfriends arent around.

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 30-01-09 at 23:44.

vCash
    Feels so weird having to rely just on match reports after so many years of turning up and watching...

Adore this life
    There is no guarantee
    Could end by tomorrow

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Goon of fortune, a Meekatharra favourite I am told, the Hills Hoist variety!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash

im happy to discuss them now jono!
    valentine & holmes wont get a cap unless its as a third stringer,

burgess is still the front runner but the main challenge should and will in my opinion come from lucas, who by reports is a good fly half as well, if qld manage to find him some time there to develop he would be an excellent bench player or even starter for the wallabies as it would allow us to field an extra three quarter on the bench.

lucas has the potential to be something very very special

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    and at one point we were playing goon of fortune with the fan...
    just watched that videro and that game looks messy

Quote Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
    Goon of fortune, a Meekatharra favourite I am told
    I would think it is the favourite game of people who sits in parks all day