There was plenty for Emirates Western Force coach John Mitchell to like in Friday's trial match with the Crusaders despite the loss, most notably Cameron Shepherd's return, Josh Valentine's first appearance and the sold out crowd at Members Equity Stadium.

The home team got off to a good start in front of over 17,000 fans, with the majority of club members voting to move from Subiaco Oval to Members Equity Stadium if the required upgrades can be completed before the 2010 season.

Mitchell has never been involved in a team at any level that has not played at a rectangular stadium before coming to Perth when the Force began, and he is hopeful a deal can be worked out after before the end of the season.

"We've got the best fans in Super 14. The sea of blue is always great to see and it's encouraging that the rugby season is well on its way to starting," Mitchell said.

"Coming to the ground I saw the odd Force jumper spilling out of bars, cafes and properties, which is a fine sight to see and it's pleasing to get back into rugby mode. It's absolutely essential to have a rectangular stadium. Ever since I've been involved in rugby, I've always come to one and I'll never change my point of view."

As for the game, the WA side got out to a 19-5 lead before the defending champion Crusaders stormed back to win 24-19, but it's more about getting used to playing against stiff competition again that is important to Mitchell's men.

"It was a very strong start, the boys looked highly motivated and there looked to be a good understanding with how we worked together. We went into each 30 with specific strategies and got a good work out," he said.

"Under fatigue at times some of our decisions could have been better, but the only way you learn is doing it against greater resistance and we will now be able to grow our game after the playing the Crusaders. It was fantastic learning for all of us.

"It's only our first hit out so we won't dissect it too seriously. We still have a fair bit to build and a lot to do. We're heading in the right direction and will continue to build on our fitness and game style before Round 1. Fatigue became costly in the end and the purpose of these matches is to get match conditioning, which we certainly got."

Especially in the first of three 30-minute periods, former Wallabies, Waratahs and Reds halfback Josh Valentine looked terrific in his first hit out with the Force, while Shepherd made an encouraging return from his broken leg suffered playing for the Wallabies last winter.

"Valo is a very clever halfback. He provides good continuity to our game and is a constant threat. He looks like he is enjoying himself and other people are feeding off him well," he said.

"I just don’t think people understand what young sportsmen go through when they suffer serious injury. It's a huge think to come back from and Cameron's confidence is building on every outing. That's the plan we have on supporting him heading into Round 1 and we are really pleased with his progress."

Source