Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sell-out Crowd Back Rugby at a Dedicated Rectangular Stadium

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash

Sell-out Crowd Back Rugby at a Dedicated Rectangular Stadium

The Emirates Western Force may well have been beaten 24-19 by the Crusaders in front of a capacity crowd at Members Equity Stadium tonight. However the turn out for their opening trial match makes it startling clear that the Western Australian public deserve, and are ready for an increased capacity Dedicated Rectangular Stadium!

Following a tumultuous off season with rumors a plenty surrounding the Western Force, the ‘full house’ signs were posted more than half an hour before the kick off of the three thirty-minute period trial. With Memberships at an all time low for the Force (which is still higher than any other Australian Super 14 team), rumors and innuendo of a failing Super14 franchise are running rife in our print media nation wide, the public of Perth have proved the naysayers wrong.

Tonight we have shown the local, state and federal governments what they want and proved beyond doubt what they need - they want rugby, and they need a suitable dedicated rectangular stadium!

Back to the game - The Crusaders made the perfect start when flanker George Whitelock crashed over in just the second minute.

The home side countered by maintaining possession for the best part of five minutes before being awarded a penalty try as Drew Mitchell was tackled in the air attempting to catch a cross field bomb in the Crusaders in-goal area. Scott Daruda’s conversion gave them a 7-5 lead after ten minutes.

More dominance from the home side followed, and centre Josh Tatupu strolled over after a terrific pass from Daruda on 17 minutes.

The score remained 12-5 at the first of two scheduled breaks.

It didn’t take long for more points to arrive, as hooker Luke Holmes barged his way over after 34 minutes. Daruda’s conversion made it 19-5.

The Crusaders hit back in the remainder of the middle period, scoring two tries through Whitelock and wing Jared Payne to close the gap to 19-17 with half an hour to play.

Crusaders winger Kade Poki scored the only try of the final stanza just three minutes in, and Hamish Gard’s sideline conversion completed the scoring at 24-19.

The Emirates Western Force will play their next trial game against the Reds in Brisbane on Friday 6 February.

2nd Min – Try to the Crusaders scored by George Whitelock. Not converted. Crusaders lead 5-0.
    10th Min – Penalty try to Emirates Western Force. Converted by Scott Daruda. Emirates Western Force lead 7-5.
    17th Min – Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Josh Tatupu. Not converted. Emirates Western Force lead 12-5.

FIRST BREAK: Emirates Western Force 12 Crusaders 5

34th Min: Try to the Emirates Western Force scored by Luke Holmes. Converted by Daruda. Emirates Western Force lead 19-5.

43rd Min: Try to the Crusaders scored by G Whitelock. Converted by Colin Slade. Emirates Western Force lead 19-12.

58th Min: Try to the Crusaders scored by Jared Payne. Not converted. Emirates Western Force lead 19-17.

SECOND BREAK: Emirates Western Force 19 Crusaders 17

63rd Min: Try to the Crusaders scored by Kade Poki. Converted by Hamish Gard. Crusaders lead 24-19.

FULL TIME: Emirates Western Force 19 Crusaders 24

Emirates Western Force 19 (Tatupu, Holmes tries, penalty try. Daruda 2 cons).

Crusaders 24 (G Whitelock 2, J Payne, K Poki tries. Slade, Gard cons).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

Apprentice
    vCash
    i think the "membership at an all time low' is a bit harsh, weve got more members than any other australian super 14 side.

vCash
    MES looks fabulous as the host of the Sea of Blue

Be There. Be Heard. Be The Force Behind The Force

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by J.d. View Post
    i think the "membership at an all time low' is a bit harsh, weve got more members than any other australian super 14 side.
    Corrected!

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by force addict View Post
    MES looks fabulous as the host of the Sea of Blue
    I couldn't agree more, it looked brilliant. The shed looked like it was about to explode as well.

Go The Force!

vCash
    Fantastic night- no binoculars required to watch the game. Heading back to Subi after the rectangular stadium will be painful, but at least there's an end date in sight. Shame the boys couldn't get up in the end, but looking forward to season 2009 proper. Only 3 weeks to go-YAY!

Photos-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...d&id=786418848

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&id=786418848

vCash
    I would just like to say it was lovely to meet so many of you Sorry if I didn't meet some people, I was erm... busy? Anyway, I also met DREW and that was also good fun My Dad.... is recovering. Took a fair bit of RedBull though, but oh well. BUT it was really lovely and expect me again next year!

(pics of my poster to follow...)

A sellout. HA-HA-HA... ha. WHICH team is suffering from a player revolt, and a membership suffering and just about every other possible thing that could go wrong?!?

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    I saw all the posters! I was sitting next to jono - or who I think is jono anyway, he had red hair and was very very very loud

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robyn <3 View Post
    I would just like to say it was lovely to meet so many of you Sorry if I didn't meet some people, I was erm... busy? Anyway, I also met DREW and that was also good fun My Dad.... is recovering. Took a fair bit of RedBull though, but oh well. BUT it was really lovely and expect me again next year!

(pics of my poster to follow...)

A sellout. HA-HA-HA... ha. WHICH team is suffering from a player revolt, and a membership suffering and just about every other possible thing that could go wrong?!?
    Drew said to say that he'll put you on layby

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jehna View Post
    Drew said to say that he'll put you on layby
    IM ON LAYBY!

(please explain. I don't get it... Is that a good thing?)

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...

vCash
    Hmm...maybe I should tell you when you're older But I guess that's the point. He'll reserve you until you are old enough hehe

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TraceTrace View Post
    I saw all the posters! I was sitting next to jono - or who I think is jono anyway, he had red hair and was very very very loud
    If you reckon Jono's loud, you haven't met Jargan in full flight!

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    If you reckon Jono's loud, you haven't met Jargan in full flight!
    just because I call it as I see it

at least I didn't act like a little fan girl when Drew Mitchell got close to us............Robyn your excused seeing as your actually female...............actually now that I've said that, thinking of jono........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    just because I call it as I see it

at least I didn't act like a little fan girl when Drew Mitchell got close to us............Robyn your excused seeing as your actually female...............actually now that I've said that, thinking of jono........
    That's how rugby should be Jargs. I was entertained by you 'call's. Which I could hear. From the front row.

I wasn't REALLY that bad was I? Should I be... worried about how much I embarassed myself?

Hehe. I was standing next to Jono. It wasn't Drew he got very excited about (he was only mildly excited bout Drew), it was someone else. He made them sign his hat. Who was it Jono??

vCash
    you did OK Robin Nothing to worry about

I have a 12 year old daughter and I can imagine what she will be like when she is your age. At the moment she is in love with Luke Holmes so 50% of the pictures from Friday night was featuring him because she was in charge of the camera

Last edited by pieter blackie; 25-01-09 at 19:30.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast