Thread: Nice Article on Pocock

vCash

Nice Article on Pocock

For a change we have a positive Force article in the press.

WAToday have a positive one on David Pocock.

------
    If there is one thing the Western Force can cling to going into 2009, it is surely the huge frame, and impressive game, of David Pocock.

Pocock, at just 20 years old, is already recognised as one of the brightest stars in the world rugby firmament. He’s a back row exponent with the best qualities of both George Smith and Phil Waugh.

Relate that to the native Zimbabwean's social conscience, which has him heading his own charity aimed at raising awareness of social justice among people of his own age, and Pocock is the antithesis of the Force's recent public perception.

Tonight, he will lead the team out on home soil for the first time, in front of an anticipated sell-out crowd at Member's Equity Stadium, to take on Super 14's team of the ages, the Crusaders.

And while he admits rousing speeches and flying teacups are not his thing, the responsibility of leadership is something he is not unhappy about.

"I don’t give the best speeches, I just try to lead by action," Pocock said.

"It is not something I actively seek, but I guess I have been captain of a few teams I have been in.

"I am pretty young, I am not expecting too much but I do enjoy it, so I will see how we go."

More than 15,000 others also seem to be keen to see how the Force go, with a trial game, in January, without Matt Giteau and Nathan Sharpe still likely to draw a near capacity crowd tonight.

That attendance alone will send a message to those doubting the Force's ability to draw a crowd after the off-season debacle where the coach was told to stay away from training, who then come back but said little.

With the findings of the inquiry into John Mitchell's coaching style still not available, the Force players have done their best to put on a united front, which they have done admirably this week with a sponsor's get-together followed by a good natured camp at Guildford Grammar School.

And Pocock says it’s not just for show.

"From a players perspective nothing much has changed. Mitch is still the head coach, we have still the exact same assistant coaches - so we are just getting on with the job," Pocock said.

"The talk has been media getting little bits and pieces of stories. But overall there is a really good feeling in the squad. We just enjoy playing rugby, we don’t want to deal with all that type of stuff.

"As soon as the season starts the better for us."

It will be a different looking Crusaders without Robbie Deans and Dan Carter, in Perth. But Pocock says the aura still remains.

"They have got a lot of young blokes that have been in that winning culture for a while, so it will come naturally … and some great players coming through so they are always tough," Pocock said.

"They never let off which has been their trademark - they have won it seven times so this is the best team in the Super 14.

And while the Force family has had its issues over Christmas, the Manu clan will be split down the middle tonight - with Force recruit Filipe lining up against Crusader - and cousin - Nasi, something Pocock is also looking forward to.

"Let's hope they get a tussle eight on eight - that will be good."

Force Hopes Cling Onto Pocock

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Ironman McIsaac leader of the pack:

David Pocock will captain the Western Force in tomorrow’s Super 14 pre-season match against the Canterbury Crusaders at Members Equity Stadium, but the leader of the pack at collision time will be Tai McIsaac.

Pocock skippered the Force on last year’s tour of England and the coaching staff considers him a likely successor to foundation captain Nathan Sharpe in 2012, hence his increased exposure to leadership at only 20 years of age.

Thirteen years his senior is hooker McIsaac, the only player to appear in all 39 Super 14 matches the Force have contested. His resilience is remarkable, given that he is easily the oldest player on the Force roster.

More

vCash
    that nice article original link needs to be fixed

vCash
    great article

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash

Go The Force!