Thread: Transcript from NSW Rugby Webchat with Ewen McKenzie.

vCash

Transcript from NSW Rugby Webchat with Ewen McKenzie.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: The first Tah Chat interview for 2006 has been announced and it will be none other than HSBC Waratahs Head Coach Ewen McKenzie. The Chat Session is scheduled for Wednesday 15th at 7.30-8.00pm AEST. Don't miss this unique chance to ask the Head Coach a question!
    A:

Q: Be here tonight to ask HSBC Waratahs head coach Ewen McKenzie a question! Simply use the Send A Question form to send your question!
    A:

Q: John from Sutherland: Hi. I am a big Waratahs fan. I would like to know who Ewen thinks is going to be the next big thing from the squad. I think Brett Sheehan will go on and be the next big thing in Australian rugby. What does Ewen think?
    A: Hi John. Yes Brett is a very good, robust player who is well suited to the game as it's played at the moment. I don't know if he's the next big thing but he's certainly player who is good enough to play for a Australia. Put it this way. It takes a pretty special player to replace Chris Whitaker at any point during a Waratahs match.

Q: Josh from Lindfield. What are the Waratahs strong points in 2006 and what are their weak points? Where do they need to improve to take the title this year?
    A: Josh good questions. Well we have a good forward pack. Despite all the talk out there the Waratahs have been outperforming a lot of packs for the last two seasons. It's a never ending battle and it's true that you're only as good as your last game but I'm very happy with the development of the pack led by Phil Waugh, Adam Freier and Dan Vickerman. Yes we have weaknesses like all teams but I'd prefer to keep those to myself!

Q: Jason from Maroubra: Hello Ewen, I think the Super 14 is going to come down to you, the Crusaders and the Brumbies. What do you have to do to beat the Brumbies and the Crusaders
    A: Jason we've got over the Brumbies over the past couple of years so we feel we've got a good understanding how to play them. As for the Crusaders it's a question every team is probably asking. Our results are getting closer and closer but in the end we need to challenge their good defence while controlling possesion, but you've also got to upset their ball. It's definitely a fine balance to get things right!

Q: 'The Man' from Orange: Ewen , Congrats on the start to the season. I have relos in Country NSW, they have asked me to ask about the NSW Waratahs players going to visit country areas during the bye in a month. Will this Happen?? Also, are you looking forward to the APC games in Newcastle and Gosford in Sept and Oct?? Thanx
    A: The bye week is not really a week off during our programme. It allows the players a couple days rest and we also have to make room for Wallaby testing which very important. I'm huge fan of taking the team to the country as we have in the last three years. We've actually been to Orange twice in that time including January this year. We've also visited Bathurst, Dubbo, Lismore, Port Macquarie, Newcastle, Tamworth, Armidale and Wollongong. It's my intention to maintain that contact with the country folk. Regarding APC games we're currently finalising venues, but it would not be unreasonable to expect these games to occur in venues such as Newcastle and Gosford.

Q: 'Phil Waugh Fan' from Gosford: Hi guys, I think Phil Waugh is the best going around. Who else out there comes close to him - I don't like Dell but i guess he has to prove himself.
    A: We like Phil too and we'll hope he'll stick around after the World Cup. Phil likes Dell and that's good enough for me and rest of the Tahs. We all can't wait to see him back on the paddock in Perth

Q: Greg from Annandale: why didn't you take the wallabies job?
    A: I thought long and hard. But the reality is I had already committed myself to the Waratahs and the staff and players. Felt I was obligated to see the challene through. This is a challenge that I'm really enjoying and therefore I'm comfortable with my decision. If I do a good job here then who knows???

Q: Shaun from Casula: Do you think you'll try Lote T at #13 or do you think his best position is on the wing?
    A: We've already used Lote at 13 this year and on the wing. He has full licence to play in both positions throughout any game. I leave it up to him to inject himself as he feels best.

Q: Andrew from Killarney Heights: Hi Ewen. Having watched the NSW A game on Friday I was very impressed with Josh Holmes performance off the bench. Do the Tahs' see him as the long term half back replacement for Chris Whitaker? Also will the immensly talented Chris Siale ever make it into the Tahs XV?
    A: I identified Josh as a prospect after watching him in schoolboys. Clearly he has great potential but needs to develop game to game consistency in key areas which he's working on. As for Chris, I agree he's very talented. A in reality he's not far away.

Q: Nicholas from Kellyville: Do you enjoy being a rugby coach and do you miss playing?
    A: It's not the job I anticipated that I'd be doing when I left school. I find it hugely rewarding helping players achieve their representative dreams for NSW and Australia. I DON'T miss playing! But playing was certainly easier than coaching!

Q: Sarahjane from London: Late in 2005, you conducted a very successful tour through eastern Europe (I attended the Czech Republic fixture). Whilst I understand the current season is your top priority at present, do you envisage there being a similar ‘off’ season tour in 2006? I know a great many expat fans – and locals – saw it as a fantastic way to foster the game in emerging rugby nations as well as introducing the younger squad members to ‘life on tour’.
    A: I agree the tours have given us fantastic benefits. In 2006 we have to incorporate the APC in the Sept/Oct window so I'm investigating the possiblities of an academy tour in a similar format to keep the continuity in our programme. In the ideal world the Waratahs would tour every year. I also agree that these countries get just as much out of our trips as we do.

Q: Sarah from North Coast: Hi, I was just wondering how keen the Waratahs are on signing Matt Giteau at the end of the season? He would be a great addition to the team, but you do have a great, balanced side at the moment. Good luck in Perth!
    A: Agreed 100 percent. I think Matt Giteau in any team, especially ours! We've put in our bid and we'll cross our fingers.

Q: Donnah from Sydney: do you think leroy houston is good enough to play for the waratahs in the near future?
    A: Definitely! He's been in our academy programme for the last few years. Signing a 2 year contract with the Tahs was a natural progression for him. And we weren't surprised with his Wallaby call up last year.

Q: Nicholas from Kellyville: Who do you think are you're best players?
    A: We've got many. The key to a successful campaign in to not be reliant on 1 or 2 individuals. You cannot have enough good players. This is where I spent a lot of my time on recruitment and retention.

Q:
    A: Sorry guys out of time. Thanks for your thoughtful questions. Keep checking the site in future when we'll have more time. I really enjoyed this format and will be back for more soon. Cheers Ewen
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There were some very ordinary questions in that... "I think Phil Waugh is great, do you?".. WTF! My questions asking him what good pie places are in Perth went unanswered...

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Senior Player
    vCash
    Sagerian - Fremantle Hot Bread

Trackside Bakery - Train Station.

Perth is Bakery Heaven,

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    It's been 2 decades, but the Rottnest Island bakery holds fond memories ...

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan
    Sagerian - Fremantle Hot Bread

Trackside Bakery - Train Station.

Perth is Bakery Heaven,
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach
    It's been 2 decades, but the Rottnest Island bakery holds fond memories ...
    Phew, thank goodness there's still some people on the ball on this planet. Thanks guys, will check them out!