Thread: Where to Season '09 in Clubland?

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash

Where to Season '09 in Clubland?

I see significant factors in the wind in '09 which will not necessarily bode well for many clubs' prospects.

Sponsorship will be much harder to retain and obtain as a consequence of the Global Financial Crisis. Mining Companies, amongst the most generous benefactors in the past, have been hit hard, and are tightening their unnecessary expenditure at all levels.

Some sponsors from last year have gone down, or are not honouring commitments. Firepower's demise owing Nedlands $45,000 in promised funding, and Kalamunda's issues with a major sponsor from last season, come readily to mind.

Also, Clubs reliant on only one or two sponsors for a significant part of their operating or recruitment operations will be nervously looking over their shoulders.

Meeting ongoing commitments to players, let alone paying for new recruits will become increasingly difficult for everybody.

On the player front too, finding work for imports will be much harder, although this will be partially compensated by players returning to the metro area, as well paying jobs in mining in the regions dry up.

Clubs will no longer have the luxury of fielding Force players, as they have been released from the obligation to play locally after Super 14's finishes in May/June, and they will head off home to Brisbane and Sydney in droves to play for their home sides.

Expenses will increase of course, as they always do. However this year I predict there will be a double whammy. I suspect that with the issues facing the Force, and with the financial pressures they, like the clubs, will be under, as a cost cutting measure RugbyWA will stop paying the clubs' player Insurance Cover, thereby increasing each senior club's liability by $15000 -$20,000, and the smaller clubs by $7500 - $10000.

I believe clubs this season will need to rely more heavily on extracting fees from their players members (no mean feat), fund raising activities such as gaming nights, festivals, special events, raffles etc. This requires a greater effort on the part of already overstretched volunteers and the finding of additional volunteers to help carry the load.

We are about to live in interesting times .....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    How much does a club need to subsist?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    Expenses will increase of course, as they always do. However this year I predict there will be a double whammy. I suspect that with the issues facing the Force, and with the financial pressures they, like the clubs, will be under, as a cost cutting measure RugbyWA will stop paying the clubs' player Insurance Cover, thereby increasing each senior club's liability by $15000 -$20,000, and the smaller clubs by $7500 - $10000.

We are about to live in interesting times .....

I was unaware till now about Rugby WA not paying insurance in 2009 and with that in mind I can see Katanning are in for a hard year financialy. Along with dwindling numbers last year, a reluctancy to pay fees from players, uncertinty from sponsors, and less people to help with fundraising and the general running of the club.

The exit of Rugby WA DO's from regional areas will only be detrimental to Rugbys growth in WA.

hopefully with the influx of South Africans not looking to end soon some "new Aussies" may have the heart to help continue to grow our comp in the Great Southern.

<>

vCash
    I'm only guessing based on experience from many years ago, but I'd say:

RugbyWA fees, fines dues $5000
    Recruitment $20,000 -$40,000
    Strip $5000
    physios/meds/tape/etc $15000
    groundhire $10000
    clubhouse rent,upkeep $20000
    casual labour $10000
    equip purchase/replace $5000
    insurances $20000
    power/gas/telephone $7500
    secretarial $3000
    entertainment $5000

And I'm sure there's much more....

vCash
    Hey, RuckNmaul, dont quote me as authority. It is only my guess that RugbyWA will stop paying insurance, they have said nothing on the subject.

vCash
    ok, fair 'nuff though with the loss of Regional DO's as a cost cutting exercise i wouldnt be supprised atm.

<>

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RuckNMaul View Post
    ok, fair 'nuff though with the loss of Regional DO's as a cost cutting exercise i wouldnt be supprised atm.
    I didnt realise they had cut regional DO's officially Ruck? I know SW and GS DO has taken personal leave for 4-5 months but last I heard was just a wait and see approach as to whether he returns or they emplyee someone else???

"The only trophy we won this day, was the blood and sweat we left on the pitch.... and it was enough"

"Rugby may have many problems, but the gravest is undoubtedly that of the persistence of summer."
    Chris Laidlaw, New Zealand rugby player and sportswriter. Mud in Your Eye: A Worm's Eye View of the Changing World of Rugby (I 973).

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    4-5 months right through the S14 season? Handy...

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Dunno if they still do, but Soaks used to have a "100 Club" Sponsorship arrangement.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, I certainly wasn't involved, but as I recall, 100 Sponsors were signed up to cover the annual costs.
    I think they had a lottery system to determine which would become the "Major Sponsor", jersey, awards etc.
    Then each week there was a draw from the 90 or so remaining for the "Weekly Sponsor" during the season as well.
    Under the current climate it may prove to be a good model to re-visit, to get a little from many rather than a lot from few?

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Yes, I recall Soaks doing this in the past and they may still be running it, Burgs.

Believe it or not, one of the major revenue problems clubs have these days is the lack of drinkers at the club bar after games. In days gone by a very large proportion of supporters and players would still at the club after the game until 9 or 10 pm or later. Now, you'd be lucky to find anyone but the cleaner to talk to by 6.30 pm.

Thursday night after training used to be a great time for players and supporters to mingle and spend a couple of hours on the turps. Now, the club bars are deserted five minutes after training finishes.

Clubs have to rethink their revenue options or they will find themselves in serious trouble, in my opinion.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Get a minibus company to sponsor you for free rides home Thur and Sat night?

Rookie
    vCash
    I think RugbyWA have come to the party over insurance