Thread: Mitchell changes style after player mutiny

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Mitchell changes style after player mutiny

Mitchell changes style after player mutiny

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/mitc...u.html?page=-1
    • Tim Clarke
    • January 5, 2009 - 1:09PM

John Mitchell watches Western Force players during training today. Photo: Tim Clarke

Western Force coach John Mitchell has had his coaching restrictions lifted by the club - but has admitted he needs to change his coaching style after a player-led mutiny forced an independent inquiry into the rifts within the Super 14 club.

The former All Black head coach was back on the training track with Force players this morning, with the restrictions placed on him over Christmas lifted after interviews of staff and players by retired judge Robert Anderson were completed overnight.

After a team meeting this morning, Mitchell was present - but not vocal - at the first training session of 2009.

He did talk to reporters afterwards to say he was sure he would be the coach of the team for the 2009 season.

That pronouncement is still dependent on the report to be supplied by the former Supreme Court judge, with still no date set for delivery.

Mitchell admitted he would have to change his ways if he was to fulfil the remaining years on his contract - with evolution rather than revolution the watchword of the day.

"It has been a very interesting, challenging and beneficial period over the last 40 days," Mitchell said.

"It is going to require all of us to pull together to be totally committed and obligated in putting our hands up as moving forward as a group, and caring about each other.

"I don’t think I need to explain my style, I have had success in the past with groups and there is no reason why we wont gain success here as a group going forward.

"I am the first to admit that I am not perfect and I need to evolve my leadership going forward, and I am looking forward to that.

"I don’t feel on my own at all."

Until today Mitchell had been restricted from his direct contact with players, and also entered a mediation process with his assistant coaches.

Any Christmas frost appeared to have thawed slightly today, although assistant John Mulvihill directed the session while Mitchell observed from a distance.

RugbyWA chairman Geoff Stooke said there were now no restrictions on Mitchell's coaching activities.

"It is almost complete, and we will be waiting on the report from Robert Anderson QC. John Mitchell is our coach and will continue in that role.

"We are back at the status quo situation now, John Mitchell is back in charge and that will continue until further notice."

Reports said that as many as 30 players and ten staff had declined to support the coach when asked prior to Christmas.

Mitchell claimed today he thought the process - which is heavily involving his lawyer - could bring the club closer together.

"While a lot of people see it as not conducive to teamwork and harmony, but the great thing about it is the group wants to take responsibility and to me that is a real positive sign
    "I sense there is an element of maturity coming out of this situation.

"I will be looking to improve those relationships, but this is only early stages and is not going to be fixed overnight, but the best thing is we are back on the field.

"You don’t move very far as a football team behind four wall and in corridors discussing things."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Chairman won't guarantee Mitchell's job
    Posted 53 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...05/2459469.htm

Rugby Western Australia chairman Geoff Stooke has refused to guarantee that Western Force coach John Mitchell will see out the upcoming Super 14 season.

Former Supreme Court judge Robert Anderson QC has been hired to oversee an inquiry into the club, including allegations Mitchell has fallen out with senior players.

Mitchell says he feels secure in his job but Mr Stooke will not discuss the coach's future.

"I'm not going to comment on the inquiry, it's not appropriate for me to comment on the inquiry," he said.

"It's still not completed and we still haven't seen the report. When we've got that, I'm happy to comment."

Mitchell was placed on restricted duties by the Force during the inquiry but he said he feels secure in his job and is not concerned about his future.

"I'm contracted right through to 2011, so I feel real secure," he said.

"It has been a very interesting, challenging and beneficial period over the last 40 days.

"It is going to require all of us to pull together to be totally committed and obligated in putting our hands up moving forward as a group, and caring about each other.

"I dont think I need to explain my style, I have had success in the past with groups and there is no reason why we won't gain success here as a group going forward.

"I am the first to admit that I am not perfect and I need to evolve my leadership going forward, and I am looking forward to that.

"I don't feel on my own at all."

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Mitchell promises evolution but no guarantees from Force

5th January 2009, 13:30 WST

Under-fire Western Force coach John Mitchell will not walk away from his job at the embattled Super14 franchise but RugbyWA chairman Geoff Stooke can still not guarantee that the former All Blacks mentor will lead the team through 2009.

While Mitchell’s coaching restrictions have been lifted, he had a very ‘hands-off’ role at training this morning and the franchise is still awaiting the outcome of an independent inquiry from retired judge Robert Anderson.

Stooke said that the coach’s future is not in Anderson’s hands but in Mitchell’s own. However, he refused to provide an assurance for Mitchell in his position.

rest from the West...

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    John Mitchell resumes duties after sanctions lifted by Western

January 05, 2009 01:45pm

WESTERN Force coach John Mitchell has had his coaching restrictions against him lifted - although an independent review is still yet to be tabled.

Mitchell was back on deck when the Force resumed pre-season training on Monday.

But the former All Blacks coach, who is contracted to the Force until the end of 2011, admitted he needed to temper his ways after complaints from players and staff forced the club to place him on restricted duties, which limited his access to players and also involved a mediation process with staff.

from Sunday Times....

vCash
    Amazing stuff this. I'd like to think the review will be tabled soon enough, this surely can't be allowed to continue.

vCash
    The Good News is that Mitchell really wants to stay
    - the bad news is that 30 out of 31 players want him to change

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    The Good News is that Mitchell really wants to stay
    - the bad news is that 30 out of 31 players want him to change
    now to find out who the teacher's pet is

vCash
    Well Gits said he hadn't heard anything about it.....

C'mon the

vCash
    my thoughts exxxxxxxxxxxxxactly - now for a poll who believes he heard nothing - like lads don't talk to each other about anything other than hair styling tips.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    well apparently there was a ring around of the out of town Wallabies, so somebody's telling porkies!

C'mon the

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    maybe Gitts nickname should be sargent Schultz

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Well Gits said he hadn't heard anything about it.....
    I remember AJ and one or two others saying 4-6 months ago that it wasn't to do with them and AJ never lies.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    If this turns out to be sour grapes by the players becuse JM trains them to hard on the track or they dont like his my way or the highway mentality Im gunna be one peed of supporter I will stand behind JM he is the leader of our team its his knackers that are on the chopping block if we dont get results so to the players I say harden the truck up and get on with things lets try and concentrate on the upcoming season..deadset...

vCash
    i doubt it would be because he trains them to hard, it probably has more to do with mind games he plays on them, or short temper or some shit like that.

All the Reds players hated eddie jones because he was a cock who just belittled players, in Quade's debut season after a shocking game eddie cornered him in the dressing room and absolutely blasted him, apparently he made the kid who was only 18 at the time cry

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    i doubt it would be because he trains them to hard, it probably has more to do with mind games he plays on them, or short temper or some shit like that.

All the Reds players hated eddie jones because he was a cock who just belittled players, in Quade's debut season after a shocking game eddie cornered him in the dressing room and absolutely blasted him, apparently he made the kid who was only 18 at the time cry
    I got the impression that he is a bit like David Nucifora and doesn't really listen to other people's opinions on how the team plays etc etc. It would be a little frustrating if you were a fairly experienced and senior player and you want to run a few ideas by the coach and he doesn't really take any of it on board. Particularly if you scored so few tries as we did in 2008. The temper probably doesn't help either. Saying that though the kind of pressure these guys are under if they think they are right about something (and Mitch has a solid record) the can't really afford to listen to someone else. Just an impression though.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast