Thread: Super 14 2009- The Sharks

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash

Super 14 2009- The Sharks

Sorry I've been a bit slow at posting these recently guys- its been busy finishing up stuff at work. All done now and ready to sink my teeth into the team into the Sharks. The Sharks have really made an amazing turn around since 1 BF (before Force) when they flopped to the bottom of the table. In the follow years the boys turned from Wobbegongs to Great Whites and were points difference away from the finals in 2006, finalists in 2007 and semi-finalists in 2008. An exciting year ahead for the Sharks.

Form from 2008
    The Sharks were pretty decent in the 2008 Super 14. They had plenty of close games that they took the points from that really shows the fight in the team. The three straight losses (after a draw in Wellington) at the end of the season to the Brumbies, Waratahs and Crusaders really hurt their campaign and they will be very glad that they'll be playing these big hitters at home next year. Thats the big thing for the Sharks in 2009- playing most of the top teams at home and the weaker ones away really gives them an opportunity to pick up a lot of wins. If they bring it that is. They were in fine form in the Currie Cup and took the title from the Bulls for the first time in a long while. The signs are good for the Sharks for 2009 and after than horrendous final few minutes against the Bulls in 2007 you kinda think they deserve it this year.

Comings and Goings
    Dick Muir, who has seen to the reinvention of the Sharks in recent times, has taken a position working with the Springboks and has left the team in the capable hands of John Plumtree. Plumtree has worked with the Sharks as a forwards coach for the last few years and the ex-Wellington and Natal player has build a great rapport with the players and was perfectly groomed to be Muir's replacement. The transition should be pretty smooth.

The big departures from the pack are BJ Botha and the reretirement of Johann Ackermann. Botha has moved on to Europe and this could see John Smit packing down with Bismarck du Plessis in the front row. Ackermann came out of retirement after an SOS from the Sharks in 2008. Pushing 40 its unlikely he will be doing that again. They have been replaced by academy players. Epi Taione who proved an absolute disaster for the Sharks has been released.

Freddie Michalak has returned to France after a one-year spell with the Sharks. Michalak is a bit of a self-absorbed tosser and probably won't be too sorely missed. Ruan Pienaar proved himself a high quality fly-half on the recent Europe tour, but whether he will want to play there instead of 9 is another thing. The Sharks have also brought in Blue Bulls fly-half Len Olivier to strengthen the depth in the halves. Talented utility Bradley Barritt has left the Sharks to play for the Saracens in the GP.

Players to watch out for
    There are a couple of pretty exciting guys in the Sharks squad: Beast Mtawarira and Bismarck du Plessis to name two. The man I'm suggesting everyone keep an eye on this year is No. 8 John Deysel. With the cheesiest name in the Super 14 Deysel is just the kind of action hero to put John McClane to shame if he lives up to just half the value of his name. Deysel was used largely as an impact player in 2008 but you get the feeling thats where he does his best work. Just wait until he runs out in 2009 and whether he is taking on the Bulls or the Highlanders or Hans Gruber or the Russians or whatever he will do some damage and could just turn a few games.

Waylon Murray is the only member of the Sharks squad who tips the scales over 100kg and will be a key man for this reason and more. The Sharks will need the punch he can bring in midfield and will be looking for a good combination with Adi Jacobs or Frans Steyn or whoever else is inside him. Many rate Murray as a possible permanent fixture in the Boks backline after Jaque Fourie has been injured and hasn't been in top form. If nothing else at least it will help coaches keep to their moronic quotas. The Sharks have a pretty solid backline for 2009 and another big plus is the stability of players over the last few years.

Prediction for 2009
    Things look promising for the Sharks in 2009. They were a handful of points off a maiden Championship in the reverse of 2009's draw and are more than capable of doing it again. Its completely in their hands now and there is no one to blame but themselves if they don't turn potential into points. The squad has been growing into this for a few years and they've done a great job of keeping their players and these guys will really be a team to beat in 2009. I said before the draw is very favourable for them and if they can take those tough home games they will be sitting pretty for a Super 14 final. I think they will. I think the Sharks will be Super 14 Champions.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Champion
    vCash
    John Deysel with Kane Douglas will be the find of the year. As you noted Jimmy , their mid season slump hurt them, but they should have lost in Wellington , only for a last second brain fade from Paul Marks.

Will be better for the run , mongeral of a draw, but winning the Currie Cup should see them finish in the top 2 and go VERY close.

Look for Steyn to finally take control in the backs and Albert Van Der Berg to provide the energy off the bench

vCash
    go sharks

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lara93 View Post
    go sharks
    One 'other' team I can understand; how did you come to be a fan of the Sharks and the Stormers? Can you fit all three into your life?....

vCash
    Thanks James for your review... While Sharks have some terrific talent but proven poor tourist...they have a tough opener against the Storm in Cape Town and the Lions at Durban then followed by a lengthy road trip via Hamilton, Auckland, Brisbane and Perth. When they get home they have the Brumbies week 7. I can see them winning 2 out of the first 6 matches…

I’m not as confident as James I’ll place the sharks coming in at 5th. A Possible 4th first round semi finalist.

Ruan Pienaar is a wonderful player but is still settling in as a Flyhalf. My SA team pick this season is the Storm under their clever coach Rassie Erasmus.

vCash
    Storm? Why would Melbourne play a game of League in SA??
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    stormers.....

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Wrote the Cheetahs one the other day and managed to lose it again. Will get on to more soon as time ticks down.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    Sharks season is wrapped up in two questions for me.....Will Steyn play like the self-involved tosser he normally does? and Where will Steyn be played.

If Steyn plays his usual game and is at flyhalf for much of the season, they won't go higher than fifth.....if he uses a brain, or is shunted into fullback to lesson his impact on the game, they'll do well and probably play in the final.

Hope it's the former (nothing beats pulling the piss out of a SA team who thinks 55m field goals is positive rugby!)

C'mon the