Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Australia A will not compete in 2009 Pacific Nations Cup

vCash
    way to bash JON for being responsable!

if the comps lose money and they dont have enough in reserve then we need to pull out!

i would back the PNC over 7's but thats just me!

it does say in the article that they are still providing the grassroots funding so i dont understand the "were are the next generation coming from" the people chosen in aus a are already fringe players, yes the game time is good, but its super rugby that gets them noticed in the first place!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    WJ the concern is that the gap between Club and S14 is large- especially here in the West - the force have some lads over here on trial form the Chute Shield - there are some players who are excellent at Club level but just can't play up - where will the next generation of players get exposure at higher level of Rugby are we limited to Schoolboys for future Walllabies

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    There once was a man selling hot dogs with a hot dog cart on the side of the road and he sold a lot of hot dogs. You see, he had good food at a decent price and everyday, there would be a loyal following of people who drove up to his hot dog cart to buy his delicious food at lunch time.
    One day, his son, who was well educated from college visited his father at the hot dog cart and told him “how’s business?” His father said, business is great! He went on to say that he sold out of hot dogs today.

Well, several weeks went by and his son came back again to visit his father and said to him, “did you know that we have down economy, many people lost jobs, the chief economists predict more of a downturn of sales nationwide.” His father said, “no, I didn’t know about it.”

The son said, “yeah, you better cut down on your hot dog orders because less people will be out buying your food.”

So the father, cut the order of his hot dogs and soon, he found out that he ran out of selling hot dogs earlier in the day so he packed up his cart and went home earlier and consequently, he made lower sales.

The regular customers who came after he left his spot never found him there and so did not return to give him business for weeks to come.

Less and less people came out to buy hot dogs from this man at the side of the road. When his son came to visit the next time, the father told his son, “yes, son, I agree that our economy is down, I made less money so I now believe that we are in a world of hurt.”

vCash
    No… the ARU are saying as promised 17 million will still go out the S14 OZ teams...

They lost Ford and another long term sponsor for next year. Ford was the Wallabies academy sponsor and either for associated with Australia A. While it’s a great pity its best not to effect S14 and grass roots support and of cause the Wallabies product...

Be thankful this heavy financial downturn wasn’t the year both a RWC.

Ford is the manager sponsor for the NZRU S14 teams hopefully they can still afford to maintain their support or that could seriously effect the S14 season…

I enjoyed attending the Australia A games this year...We could end up with a larger Wallabies squad because Deans wont be able to call on the A team...

Rookie
    vCash
    gerry , whilst this is an excellent story on economics it is not really relevant to the current situation with rugby,

before making this decision rugby had
    a) just lost 2M a year in sponsorship
    b) each s14 team was facing a downturn in crowds and profits
    c) the wallabies whilst having success on field were not able to draw the same crowds as previous

i am sure they would have other indicators such as corporate hospitality enquiries
    coming off as well.

they are also having an increasing level of difficulty in holding onto the current lineup of players who keep getting huge offers in europe.

think of it like they had a pretzel division as well that was unprofitable and expensive to run and no one was turning up to. hot dogs was still making money so that shut down pretzels and kept with their core hot dog success. if they didnt they knew that mcdonalds down the road would keep taking their best hot dog salesman.

Legend Contributor brokendown gunfighter's Avatar
    vCash
    so,who is going to sponsor Giteau for squillions?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thequeerone View Post
    WJ the concern is that the gap between Club and S14 is large- especially here in the West - the force have some lads over here on trial form the Chute Shield - there are some players who are excellent at Club level but just can't play up - where will the next generation of players get exposure at higher level of Rugby are we limited to Schoolboys for future Walllabies
    i agree, but as a professional company, the ARU cant run at a loss, with this years tests losing money and next year having no big name countrys coming to play outside of the tri nations due to the lions tour, you can expect the forecast to be a bit gloomy!

i think we should go to a best of five bledisloe, two in NZ, two here and a fifth in a country we can extort for cash!

maybe they could even run an aus v aus a game at some stage! they used to do it for the soccer a few years back, it could probably make money!

the gulf between club and super rugby is always going to be large, but unfortunatly unlike many other countrys australia is two spread out, and our footy codes to dilluted by competition for a national rugby comp to run!

i agree with an earlier post that a shodow "a" series tri nations as curtain raisers to the actual games would be awesome!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brokendown gunfighter View Post
    so,who is going to sponsor Giteau for squillions?
    Federal Government in Canberra. KRudd sees that rugby is the #1 sporting code in the country & as all the imported supporters gain citizenship, and therefore voting rights, he is nailing his colours to the rugby mast.

CHEERLEADERS ROCK!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    have all the the s14 team lost money this last season? the july to june financial year.

to my understanding this financial year the aru was looking to make a profit. they tend to lose money in world cup years except when the cup is held in the respective host country.

things will be even tougher though as vodafone and ford have now pulled the pin on sponsorship.
    they are looking to make a profit this year, purely because of the Hong Kong test though, and its not going to be a very big one..

I didnt realise Vodaphone had pulled there sponsorship, i thought they were looking at upgrading there sponsorship..

times change quickly

Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    way to bash JON for being responsable!

if the comps lose money and they dont have enough in reserve then we need to pull out!

i would back the PNC over 7's but thats just me!

it does say in the article that they are still providing the grassroots funding so i dont understand the "were are the next generation coming from" the people chosen in aus a are already fringe players, yes the game time is good, but its super rugby that gets them noticed in the first place!
    agreed, Super14 is where the next players are going to come from, its where they have come from in the past and its where they will continue to come from in the future. PNC has being around for only a couple of years, whilst it has being good for development, i dont think its such a big loss if it is cancelled. The Wallabies were still selected from the Super14 and they did pretty well this year, a couple of players made there way through the PNC, but they would probably have being selected regardless of there form in that comp

Quote Originally Posted by waratahjesus View Post
    i agree, but as a professional company, the ARU cant run at a loss, with this years tests losing money and next year having no big name countrys coming to play outside of the tri nations due to the lions tour, you can expect the forecast to be a bit gloomy!

i think we should go to a best of five bledisloe, two in NZ, two here and a fifth in a country we can extort for cash!

maybe they could even run an aus v aus a game at some stage! they used to do it for the soccer a few years back, it could probably make money!

the gulf between club and super rugby is always going to be large, but unfortunatly unlike many other countrys australia is two spread out, and our footy codes to dilluted by competition for a national rugby comp to run!

i agree with an earlier post that a shodow "a" series tri nations as curtain raisers to the actual games would be awesome!
    I think the current set up of the Bledisloe is probably the best way of going about things, having to many games starts to diminish the product and spectacle of the event.

I agree the gap between club rugby and super rugby is to large, but the PNC and Aus Shield did nothing to bridge this gap. I dont know of any super14 player to come through the Aus Shield, it did assist in the development of the non-rugby states slightly but thats about it. The PNC also does nothing to bridge the gap between club and super rugby, its more about bridging the gap between super rugby and test match football, which i am doubtful as to whether it actually does that. Out of the whole tournament there is only the game against NZ which actually challenges Australia, the rest are pointless displays of the gap between australia/nz and the rest of the pacific nations.

The Pacific Nations Cup also had some serious flaws, it was organised and partially funded by the IRB. It was setup in a way which alienated the unions current sponsors. The ARU could not carry over there sponsors to Aus A because the IRB had signed sponsors for the event which conflicted with the ARU and NZRU sponsors.

It was also the reason the matches couldnt be used as curtain raises to the Wallaby matches, because the sponsorship signs around the stadium were different between the two competitions.

If this comp is to run in 2010, it should be included in a package with SANZAR, it will probably get the matches some broadcast space on foxsports, and it will also be possible to use them as curtain raisers to the Tri-Nations, and most importantly it will keep the sponsors on side by giving them greater exposure.

vCash
    in regards to the 7's tournament, i suspect it will may get cuts in the future as well, i think the biggest hurdle is that the AIS sponsor/support this tournament, im not sure how the funding arrangments are worked out with this but it may not be all that beneficial for the ARU to cut the 7's tournament.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TOCC View Post
    The Pacific Nations Cup also had some serious flaws, it was organised and partially funded by the IRB.

sponsorship signs around the stadium were different between the two competitions.

If this comp is to run in 2010, it should be included in a package with SANZAR, .............it will also be possible to use them as curtain raisers to the Tri-Nations, and most importantly it will keep the sponsors on side by giving them greater exposure.
    Not sure how the partial funding worked. Possibly to the disadvantage of Aus/NZ Unions. But, IIRC, it was a committment from the IRB to provide more top level Rugby for the Japanese & Island Nations' squads. Mainly for the development of payers not contracted in Europe and part of the profits from RWC's were to foot the bill. Perhaps JO'N is angling for a bigger funding committmrnt from the IRB.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    Not sure how the partial funding worked. Possibly to the disadvantage of Aus/NZ Unions. But, IIRC, it was a committment from the IRB to provide more top level Rugby for the Japanese & Island Nations' squads. Mainly for the development of payers not contracted in Europe and part of the profits from RWC's were to foot the bill. Perhaps JO'N is angling for a bigger funding committmrnt from the IRB.
    cant say i know how the funding is split either, i imagine the majority of it goes to the minnow pacific nations though, with the richer nations like NZ, Aus and Japan expected to foot there own bill.

Rookie
    vCash
    the aru will run at a profit but the s14 teams a loss

vCash
    but the aru profit is almost all because of the hong kong game & bah bahs match in which they got to share the gate.

vCash
    i thought the Western Force were in for a profit though..
    Although the QRU did post a $3million? net loss for the 2007FY, they did have a operating profit, albeit only around $40'000.. The loss was for mark downs in the value of Ballymore by a few $million. Basically Ballymore is a few million less then it was 12months ago due to the age and lack of use as a stadium, this has to be represented in the financial report as a loss.

Although this doesnt directly hurt the QRU, it does effect there bottom line because there assets are worth less which hurts there overall financial and credit position.

After reading the chairmans newsletter from December 11, 2009 isnt going to be a much better year although they are still hoping to break even and make a small operating profit. QLD Roar's(A-League) move to Ballymore will be give the QRU a nice cash injection, but probably only cover the loss of sponsors due to the economic crisis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast