Thread: Vickerman’s Varsity woe

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Vickerman’s Varsity woe

Vickerman’s Varsity woe

12th December 2008, 10:00 WST

Tim Catling scored the first Varsity Match hat-trick for 74 years as former New Zealand hooker Anton Oliver ended up on the winning side after Oxford University beat Cambridge University – who included former Wallaby Dan Vickerman – at Twickenham on Thursday.

Oxford ran out 33-29 winners and the 62-point aggregate in this, the 127th Varsity Match, was a record for the fixture surpassing the 47 points shared by the teams in 1994 and 2006.

Yet the crowd for what was once a sell-out fixture at Twickenham was under 30,000.

Catling, who played in the same Whitgift School team as England outside-half Danny Cipriani, scored the first Varsity hat-trick by an Oxford player since Bernard Jacot in 1920, when the match was last played at London’s Queen’s Club, and the first by anyone since Cambridge’s Ken Ffye in 1934.

Oxford’s victory, which bore the attacking hallmarks of consultant coach Brian Ashton, the former England boss, ended a run of three successive Cambridge wins.

“Brian Ashton has been fabulous for our team,” said Oliver, 33, who played his final match for the All Blacks during last year’s World Cup quarter-final loss to France.

“When this game comes around most players go into their shells but Brian has been on our case saying, ‘Have a go and if it’s on then play’.

“That’s what we did in the first half. The second half was just about defence.”

Turning to 21-year-old Englishman Catling, an Oriental Studies student who is about to head off to Japan as part of his course, Oliver said: “Cats just cruises along. He’s a lovely guy. A really good team man and fast.”

Catling, a cousin of former Gloucester full-back Chris, was on the books of London Irish’s Academy but was let go by the Premiership side.

Having concentrated on an academic career, Catling said he would not mind a shot at making a living out of rugby.

“First and foremost I have got another year of studies at Oxford but I’d like to take my rugby career to the highest level it can go. I was at the stage when they offer you a contract or that’s it, so I had to walk out of the door.”

Not that he was expecting to call on Cipriani for advice. “I was a team-mate of Danny’s in the last couple of years. I’m not really in touch with him now. He’s got a bit big now. We’ve lost contact.

“At school I played wing and centre and fly-half. We would mix it up. Sometimes I would play 10 and he (Cipriani) would play centre, sometimes the other way round.”

Cambridge coach Tony Rodgers added: “The boys put in a really good second-half performance, especially in the last 20 minutes, but we gave ourselves just a bit too much of a mountain to climb.”

The Light Blues, who were twice down by 18 points, fought back in a second-half where their pack denied Oxford possession.

The first-half was dominated by Catling, who ran in three well-worked tries to help Oxford to a healthy 25-10 lead at the break.

Catling opened the scoring in the sixth minute when he went outside opposite number James Greenwood and then dipped his shoulder into Cambridge full-back James Richards, bouncing off the attempted tackle before crossing the line.

Richards, however, got Cambridge back into the game minutes later when, after former New Zealand centre Mark Ranby set up a ruck, he crossed on the overlap after a good pass from No 8 Trevor Boynton.

After Australia lock Dan Vickerman was penalised for punching, Gregory nudged Oxford into an 11-10 lead.

Catling then scored his second try following a quick tap penalty when he again held off Greenwood.

Then, chipping ahead for what would have been his third try, Catling was blocked by Richards and the South African was sent to the sin-bin.

But Catling’s hat-trick was not long in coming. Cutting across to the right wing, he took an excellent inside pass from outside-half Ross Swanson and burst through for his treble.

Early in the second-half, Cambridge right wing James Wellwood was fortunate not to be binned for another late challenge on Catling.

Cambridge prop Niall Conlon was driven over for a try but, moments later, Oxford hit back when No 8 Peter Wright charged through a ruck to set up a try for captain Peter Clarke.

Cambridge replacement Joe Wheeler, the son of former England hooker Peter, did score however after a powerful drive was rewarded with a try awarded by the video referee which Richards converted.

Oxford were now 33-22 ahead going into the final quarter but, with five minutes left, Wellwood came from deep following a five-metre scrum and his pace took him through for a try.

Nevertheless Oxford clung on, although Cambridge still lead the series 60-53 with 14 draws.
    LONDON
    AFP

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    No mention of Joe Roff this year, may have finally hung up the boots?

Biggest worry out of the lot for Rugby is this: "Yet the crowd for what was once a sell-out fixture at Twickenham was under 30,000."

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.