Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Western Force loosens John Mitchell's iron grip

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    I think that either model of coaching/leadership can work. What worries me about this is that it appears to be being imposed from the top (CEO) onto John Mitchell. When it worked sucessfully at Sydney it was something that came from within the playing group and the coach was able to allow to have more ownership of the team. My only concern is that the people implementing this might not understand the dynamics of this team.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baldy View Post
    I like Gigs's sentiment that this is being done to assist John Mitchell. Its always good to be open-minded and to try see two sides of a discussion.

However, I don't think thats going to happen here. I am nervous we're at Armageddon because I have it on good authority that John is in danger of losing his job. AND, like him or not he has the skill and experience to build a young team.

If he goes, the calibre of what's left will relegate us to a team full of guys who couldn't get a job elsewhere and a club with massively diminished numbers that doesn't bother to turn up at Subiaco with the binoculars any more.

My fear is that the management by committee is in order to dilute John's involvement rather than facilitate the job for him. Scary times, I reckon !
    If what you say is trueBaldy I'm jumping straight on your bandwagon. If Mitch's job is really in danger, I wonder whether the Management have ever seen a good rugby coach in action! I guess I have some faith that the management are pretty cluey and wouldn't be so naieve as to put handcuffs on their head coach the season after they signed him for another three years...I mean that just makes them look even more amateur.

Now I've gotta say that I spent much of 2007 questioning and criticising many of Mitch's coaching methods and player selections, but he really has made me eat a heluuva lot of my words. He's done wonders with the boys and built a bloody strong team. The spike in the number of Wallabies would be a key indicator of this. If the board are really doing what the papers have reported, then they're tying the hands of the only person who can singlehandedly pull their membership woes into positive territory. Mitch controls the win/loss percentage, and I can tell you with certainty that if he pulls of a good win/loss, memberships will grow, it's just a matter of how good is required!

C'mon the

Senior Player Contributor Cowboy's Avatar
    vCash
    Well if what Baldy (and Gigs) is saying is true then here is my opinion.

As a supporter and member of the Force John Mitchell has my complete support and I believe that he can lead our team to winning the Super 14 competition. I would be incredibly disappointed if the Force board withdrew their support for him, I believe that the actions of the board last year were far more to blame for the pressures placed upon the coach and they should accept responsibility for that rather than laying blame upon him.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Here here!!!

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by joondalup dave View Post
    the force are using a group called leading teams , who have worked with the hawthorn and geelong that seems to be doing ok,
    the model is to have your best leaders on the field , look at the wallabies in 99, eales, larkham, giffin, kafer ran the program , rod just put thngs in place by his own admission. if you have players making the decisions they back themselves more.
    the brumbies won the title in 04 when they took the control back they lacked. nucifora was later moved on from aukland. all of the great teams have there best leaders on field. san francisco 49'ers, chicago bulls, patriots, a coach is an enabler of talent.
    Had a look at the website dave

http://www.leadingteams.net.au

I'm not sure I am too comfortable with an organisation mentoring other teams in the same competition.

And by the looks, most of the mentors are gayFL guys. Not too sure about that either.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    i have been in rugby for 22 years and i have no problem with afl , sport is sport.
    i think we should move on from the whole gayFL thing eh!

its not like leading teams is going to pass on info. i am sure thay have confidentiality agreements.

there is a couple of premierships in amongst those teams i would say, if it is good enough for wayne bennett and the broncos or the melbourne storm surely the force is mature enough to give it a go. they are not gay gerry.

So you work for them?

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 13-12-08 at 01:22.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    no not at all , i have no affilliation with them of any kind , but it was a nice way to get off point . touche

Sorry. I'll get back to the point.

Do you think Mitchells powers need cutting back?

Last edited by travelling_gerry; 13-12-08 at 01:27.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    And as for confidentiality agreements we've seen those things with RWA be breached before.

Apprentice
    vCash
    We better stay focussed boys. Our team needs us ! Talk to your mates. Find out what's going on with Mitch. Rally the troops. Remember it was us the community that got the team to Perth. We better go to work to rescue our club. Each one of you get five mates into this debate and get them to do the same. Doesn't matter what they all think. If the whole club's involved, the club's view will prevail.

If we don't get it done, we may as well go and watch Glory. At least they play on a decent pitch. Of course we will too because there'll only be about 5000 of us die-hards in the stands !!!

Apprentice
    vCash
    Check out page 142 of the West today. Greg Harris suggesting there may be a spot for Ben Cousins in the Force !! Good deflection tactic before this other news breaks. We'll be going after O J Simpson next !!!!

vCash
    Well Greg's proven to be pretty good at deflecting news so far, why should he change?

C'mon the

vCash
    Is there a particular reason Joondalup Dave why you argued so hard only to delete your comments when challenged?

"Remember lads, rugby is a team game; all 14 of you make sure you pass the ball to Giteau."

Apprentice
    vCash
    Worrying times team. I feel an announcement coming on this week. We need a mass revolt of Kiwis, Yarpies and Rugby fans all round. Otherwise its going to be grim. I'll be supporting the Sharks if our team gets blown to bits by the management !!!! Make sure you've got your mates involved ........

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by baldy View Post
    Worrying times team. I feel an announcement coming on this week. We need a mass revolt of Kiwis, Yarpies and Rugby fans all round. Otherwise its going to be grim. I'll be supporting the Sharks if our team gets blown to bits by the management !!!! Make sure you've got your mates involved ........
    What are you talking about?

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Sounds like Mitch might be under some pressure....

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast