Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Matt Giteau wants to play Super 14, but not sure where

vCash
    you could be right there with your first point KQ, but John O'Neil insists there will be no breach of contract either way........makes for another pre-season of nagative headlines, if he stays its because he couldn't get released from his contract , if he goes he bailed on his contract..............

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Faced with the prospect of losing him altogether, the ARU may cave into to the lesser demand by allowing him to break from the Force and head to another Australian franchise.
    I fail to see how the ARU will lose him altogether? The ARU has stated that he is contracted to them and even the IRB has to hold up said contract. The only issue that I see is where he will play IN Australia

vCash
    "I've not had any personal contact with the Force and that's been a problem. I wouldn't mind talking to them," he said.

"I need to sit down and talk it over with the Force, my manager, my family and girlfriend. I've got to sit down and have a lengthy, proper discussion and get a few things clear.

"I really can't say what I want to do at the moment because I really haven't made up my mind. I can't say because I just don't know.

"Perth is a great place and I've really enjoyed the last two years. It's got a great lifestyle, great people and I've always said I love it in Perth but that's only one of the things I have to consider.

"There are many factors, like where I'm going to develop best, where I'm going to grow as a player and as a person."

John O’Neill’s stonewalling may not be the final interpretation of the group agreements; it could go to court if Giteau really wanted to push for a release of his contract. Nobody would want this weeks before the S14 season starts.

However if he asks for a release directly through the Force and states he doesn't want to be a part of the team in 2009 its possible Force CEO Harris will see value in Matt Giteau moving on and approve his release...

There is no point making him stay if he really doesn’t want to be there… It reads to me like he really likes the Perth life style and people but is questioning his professional and personal development at the Western Force…

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    "I've not had any personal contact with the Force and that's been a problem. I wouldn't mind talking to them," he said.

"I need to sit down and talk it over with the Force, my manager, my family and girlfriend. I've got to sit down and have a lengthy, proper discussion and get a few things clear.

"I really can't say what I want to do at the moment because I really haven't made up my mind. I can't say because I just don't know.

"Perth is a great place and I've really enjoyed the last two years. It's got a great lifestyle, great people and I've always said I love it in Perth but that's only one of the things I have to consider.

"There are many factors, like where I'm going to develop best, where I'm going to grow as a player and as a person."

John O’Neill’s stonewalling may not be the final interpretation of the group agreements; it could go to court if Giteau really wanted to push for a release of his contract. Nobody would want this weeks before the S14 season starts.

However if he asks for a release directly through the Force and states he doesn't want to be a part of the team in 2009 its possible Force CEO Harris will see value in Matt Giteau moving on and approve his release...

There is no point making him stay if he really doesn’t want to be there… It reads to me like he really likes the Perth life style and people but is questioning his professional and personal development at the Western Force…

he could go to court, but he has no ground to stand on..

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaQuin View Post
    Personally, I would rather see him go sooner rather than have the next few weeks getting flooded with brinkmanship.
    I'm getting a bit fed up with it too. But if he stays on until the end of 2009 by 2010 there will be a much better supply of much more experienced fly-halves/outside centres. The masterstroke in Giteau's signing wasn't in that he was a great player it was that he was the only great player in the play-maker role. Since that point Barnes/Cooper/O'Connor/Beale have all hit the scene and are definitely getting better. And another season might bring players like Matt Tooma and Christian Lealiifano up another few steps too. If we can hold out till 2010 I reckon there will be at least 2 pretty solid options at 10 for each Super 14 team.

How long exactly would he be staying though- what like 6 months? By this time in June all his commitments will be up and he can go. Why would he want to kick up a fuss, considering all the negative side effects, for the sake of 6 months? There are a hell of a lot of worse places to be.

I think you're right though Skip that the longer he leaves it the less likely he is to go.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    The problem may have wider ramifications. If the Force release Giteau do they look a soft touch and encourage others to play a bit of brinksmanship too? Ditto the ARU and NZRU. While there are loads of Euros on offer there will be players/agents who'll be more than willing to use that leverage to screw a better deal, just as lots of Mungos have done. I think the administrators have to steel themselves and play hard ball on the issue. If there are some unwanted departures, so be it. If Giteau has to stay as a disgruntled employee so be that too.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash
    TOCC…. Perhaps, but his council would have to tell him that...who knows what may happen…once a contract lawyer and a good barrister looks into the fine print…

It doesn't mean he will get it all his own way. It could even cost him plenty...

vCash
    James you're absolutely right…there will be plenty more good OZ flyhalfs about in 2010…I’m not sure about their contracts. I pretty sure Matt Tooma and Christian Lealiifano both resigned with the Brumbies for another two years.

The Hurricanes were very interested in Quade Cooper hence the ARU ensured he got a Wallabies cap. He did resign with the Reds but I’m not sure for how long, likely two years at his age.

I don’t know about Beale but I think he maybe off contract after this season.

vCash

Let's give it a rest ................

Speculation based on media statements is pretty worthless. Instead of all this discussion why don't we just leave it about six or eight weeks and see what happens ? Nothing that is posted on this forum is going to affect the outcome. I'm as concerned / interested as anyone but why bother with endless gossip and what is at best guessing ?

vCash
    James you're absolutely right…there will be plenty more good OZ flyhalfs about in 2010…I’m not sure about their contracts. I pretty sure Matt Tooma and Christian Lealiifano both resigned with the Brumbies for another two years.

The Hurricanes were very interested in Quade Cooper hence the ARU ensured he got a Wallabies cap. He did resign with the Reds but I’m not sure for how long, likely two years at his age.

I don’t know about Beale but I think he maybe off contract after this season.
    firstly, resign means to quit

Cooper did re-sign with the Reds for 2 years, but that was before the tri-nations and well before the northern Hemispere tour

Beale only re-signed for another 12 months

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    I'm not so keen on recruiting any of those guys Mud more interested in keeping JO'C and Daruda. I figure neither of those two will leave while they are getting good game time at the Force that they might not get elsewhere.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

vCash
    This is all @#$$#cks - he has a contract with the Force and the ARU - he has to honour it or do a Sonny Bill.

My big concern is where his head is at - he is not committed to us (or anyone else at the moment). He'll be about as much use as a chocolate teapot next year with all this carryon - a very expensive one at that.

61 years between Grand Slams Was the wait worth it - Ya betta baby

vCash
    give the man some space to figure his shit out!
    with or without Matt giteau, the Force will still be here, and we will all support the force.
    if he stays, great.
    if he goes, fair bump, play on.
    as thats what the team will be forced to do

vCash
    WESTERN Force star Matt Giteau has given his strongest indication yet that he may not play Super 14 in Perth next year.
    "I want to be playing in Australia but I can't say where that will be," he told The Sunday Times from London before flying to the US for Christmas.
    Gits might not be able to say, but I sure can. A contracted players PLAYS FOR THE TEAM HE IS BLOODY CONTRACTED TO!

The Force, obviously keen to keep a player of Giteau's calibre, is confident it has a binding contract.
    B-I-N-D-I-N-G. He is staying for 09. I'm sorry, he might just leave us in 2010, but he does not disrespect us that much. If he walks out on his contract, I think he will find himself minus a few fans. ARU have said he's not going. The force have said he's not going. Gits hasn't said he IS going. I take that as he should be bloody well staying. He is signed. And his little scribble on that piece of paper in late 06 means a lot more than his words now. I just can't believe he is considering going.. Jeez Gits. I'm angry!

"My contract is with the Force until 2009. That was what was what I was hoping to get. It's not just about money," he said.
    Erm.. what? He knows he is contracted to the force... Why the hell does he think he can get out of it! More importantly, why does he want to get out of it

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Robyn you raise some good questions. He may just be thinking about 2010 after all...

As I said before the longer he leaves it the more likely he will stay...I wouldn't get to upset about it...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast