Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It’s Rugby League World Cup Awareness Week

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

It’s Rugby League World Cup Awareness Week

It’s Rugby League World Cup Awareness Week

John C. Dillinger, chairman of the children’s charity Sick Kiddies announced that this week would officially be known as Rugby League World Cup Awareness Week. To celebrate the occasion, Dillinger donated $5 million of their funds to help promote the early detection and acknowledgment of rugby league World Cup related activities.
    “99 percent of people out there just have no way of knowing what to look for when trying to identify a rugby league World Cup,” he said. “We’ve got people in countries all across the world crying out for someone to show them what a rugby league World Cup looks like. Who plays in it? What are the rules? These are the sorts of questions we hear all the time.”
    The Rugby League World Cup Awareness Campaign faces some unique challenges, according to Dillinger.
    Unlike most educational campaigns where the areas with the lowest levels of awareness are third world countries, the rugby league World Cup’s biggest challenge is raising its profile in big cities.
    “We don’t need to preach to the converted,” said Mr Dillinger. “The third-world areas have received the message loud and clear. PNG, for example, are all over it and some of those blokes don’t even wear shoes, let alone own televisions or mobile phones. Likewise, you could walk down any street in Hull, Ipswich or South Auckland and people will say ‘yeah, we’ve heard about it’.”
    “The hard part seems to be selling the game to people who own their own televisions and can see the game for themselves,” he added.
    “We need these people to know that there’s a World Cup going on and that they can be involved. Some of them might even be living in countries that are already involved, who knows?”
    According to a report issued by Switzerland’s top rugby league World Cup identification agency, most people are at low to negligible risk of exposure to rugby league World Cup coverage, even if they live in countries playing at the event.
    Expected early warning signs of a rugby league World Cup, like regular games between more than a handful of nations, are often absent and outbreaks of rugby league World Cups have not been known to occur at regular intervals.
    Rugby league World Cup organisers have been quick to applaud Mr Dillinger’s efforts. Glen Quagmire, the chairman of the Irish Rugby League Appreciation Society, hailed Dillinger as a “god-send” but stressed that the road ahead was a long one.
    “We do need more new countries becoming aware of rugby league, but we can’t expect miracles. Getting a team up to international standard is a very, very tough task, diddly.”
    “First we have to scour the NRL and Super League for players whose grandmother might have been born in one of these new countries or who has a name that sounds a bit different. Then, when we’ve got thirteen of these blokes, we have to design a jersey that best reflects our understanding of what that country is about,” he said, amidst a flurry of pelvic thrusts.
    “You’ve got to remember that in the world of rugby league, international competition is right up there behind State of Origin, the NRL, Super League and the possibles/probables trial for the Parkes Spacemen.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/11/15...ek/#more-12579

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    the coverage in the media has been pretty poor over here, if it wasn't on foxtel i wouldnt of known it was on............

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by slomo View Post
    the coverage in the media has been pretty poor over here, if it wasn't on foxtel i wouldnt of known it was on............
    Just another reason to prove the sport could disappear without a whimper.

Maybe if NSW and QLD represented Australia instead it might make it fairer. I'm sure it would still be an all Aussie final.

vCash
    The highlight for me so far has been the international debut of Wayne Kerr. Andy Raymond seemed to agree. He billed it as a great moment in RL history "and now coming on to the field is the big Wayne Kerr".

He may be right. Never have a player's parents set him up from birth for such nominal piss-taking.

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Not to mention "Phil" McCracken

"Bloody oath we did!"

Nathan Sharpe, Legend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by welshrugbyfan View Post
    Just another reason to prove the sport could disappear without a whimper.
    When was the last time you went to Sydney or Brisbane?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jargan83 View Post
    When was the last time you went to Sydney or Brisbane?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    The two states trying to save the game. Both states should just turn to the dark side once and for all and let the game go due to natural causes.

vCash
    i was hinting at the fact that both cities are League. I traveled to Brisbane for the Force game vs the Reds and could have thought that I had turned up the wrong week
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Both states should just turn to the dark side once and for all and let the game go due to natural causes.
    What would you watch on C9 on Thursday nights if that happened WRLF?

"The main difference between playing League and Union is that now I get my hangovers on Monday instead of Sunday - Tom David

vCash

Bloody closet mungos
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shasta View Post
    What would you watch on C9 on Thursday nights if that happened WRLF?
    Hopefully Fitzy and others with a sense of humour could put a show together for us Union fans. Inside rugby is about as funny as a fart in an elevator.

As predicted Aus and NZ in the final with an Aus victory, it all went to script nicely. You can quote me in another thread if this isn't correct by the end of next week.

France 2007, did not go to script. That is what I love about the international side of Union. Even league fans would have to admit an Australian walkover through the whole tournament is pretty boring. No sitting on the edge of your seat chewing your nail games, wheres the thrill in that?

I may watch the NRL rugby show and 15 minutes of the occasional game but I have not watched one game in their world/here's the trophy Australia cup.

vCash
    "CLOSET MUNGOES!!"...i'll admit i've watched a few games and will watch the other semi tonight.....

vCash
    Hopefully Fitzy and others with a sense of humour could put a show together for us Union fans. Inside rugby is about as funny as a fart in an elevator.

France 2007, did not go to script. That is what I love about the international side of Union.

I may watch the NRL rugby show and 15 minutes of the occasional game but I have not watched one game in their world/here's the trophy Australia cup.
    Peter Fitzsimons funny???? His column is funny, granted. Seemingly knowledgeable about a variety of sports, research on the net and time to think through a column is very valuable to a journo I'd reckon. But watch him on The Back Page on Fox. Now that's funny because on live TV the jig's up when he tries to match wits with some of the real sports experts on that show. Billy Birmingham and Co have a field day with him.

Mungo is the tribal element for us old Sydney boys. The club scene. It's the main talking point 9 months a year in offices and crib rooms throughout NSW & Qld. The international component of Rugby is what makes it our No1 choice in footy though, just like you.

Having said that, your entrenched position cost you a look at an absolute cracker between England and NZ last night.Your loss IMHO.

vCash
    Wouldn't have been easier just to play the tri-nation mungoes like they have the past couple of years. Although I have learnt a few things from the RLWC, like the PNG sides nickname is the Kumuls and Scotland and Ireland can't play league (all that well).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oxleymoron View Post
    Wouldn't have been easier just to play the tri-nation mungoes like they have the past couple of years.
    I thought it was ridiculous to stick PNG in the same pool as Australia, NZ and England - they should have just had the big 3 play each other, with the winner of the pool getting the easy semi-final.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast