Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: We Need Corners meets RugbyWA

vCash

We Need Corners meets RugbyWA

On Wednesday afternoon, a delegation of We Need Corners Committee members met with Greg Harris of RugbyWA. We discussed the implications of Rugby's continued tenure at Subiaco and the need, as well as the likelihood, of a rectangular stadium.

Greg spoke about how much he, and the board appreciate our efforts in support of this cause, but he said that RugbyWA would be unable to publicly announce support of our group.

It appears that RugbyWA has it's hands tied somehow.....we don't know how....the will not be standing in front of any TV cameras with us. I guess the essence of the meeting is this. RubgyWA DO want a rectangular stadium, but something is stopping them from pushing too hard for it to happen. THAT'S WHERE WE COME IN! If the fans of Rugby in WA want a rectangular stadium, then the fans of Rugby in WA will need to be the ones who get it.......The gloves need to come off people, we don't have any ties with anybody, we don't have and political chains dragging us down and we don't want to spend any more time at Subiaco that we absolutely have to.

Write to the editor of your local paper, call talkback radio, ring the TV stations, get the word out there, WA Rugby fans will no longer put up with viewing rugby from 30 M away simply because RugbyWA is a slave to it's corporate seating packages...We need to press for a rectangular stadium, or we won't get anything.

Hear endeth the rant

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    C'mon the

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    I would suggest the holdinjg back issue for RWA is the new headquarters. They dont want to rock the boat till they have that "in the bag"

(formerly known as Coach) Your Humble Servant Darren's Avatar
    vCash
    I'm a bit miffed by this - has Harris privately announced support for WNC?

I personally dislike Subi as a Rugby venue as much as the next person and believe that moving to MES will give the punters a better viewing experience.

However - RugbyWA, or more so "Western Force" need to get their act together and provide some level of support/guidance.

Are you sure they actually care, or is it more a matter of them paying lip service as they don't want to upset WNC and in turn 8832 signatories?

Dear Lord, if you give us back Johnny Cash, we'll give you Justin Bieber.

vCash
    We're fast becoming a big underground success...
    Thank you for the meeting and the rant, GIGS.

Success is not final, failure is not fatal:
    it is the courage to continue that counts.
    - Winston Churchill

Legend Contributor fulvio sammut's Avatar
    vCash
    I've got an idea, let's believe Colin Barnett.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fulvio sammut View Post
    I've got an idea, let's believe Colin Barnett.
    And the previous government was any better?
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I'm a bit miffed by this - has Harris privately announced support for WNC?
    It would be fair to say they're on our side, yes. I guess it's political and contractural expediency that makes them unwilling to get into bed.

RugbyWA are about to get turfed out of their headquarters and don't have a clear idea of what their new home will be...It's fair to say the government has them over a barrell....to have made public announcements in support of the MES upgrade is about as much as we can ask really!

C'mon the

vCash
    this does concern me a bit, after all the great work by gigs and the wnc commitee, its thanks for all your hours of hard work but we aint backing you (so to speak, not publically anyway!)......

vCash
    Ummm...well.....that doesn't mean we can't be effective.....I mean we're both working towards the same end!

Maybe the tune will change over time

C'mon the

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GIGS20 View Post
    Maybe the tune will change over time
    GIGS, lets hope so, im far from saying you guys have been ineffective. at least we'll know soon if the membership drops again this year due to the 'subi factor'.....

Last edited by Jehna; 17-11-08 at 08:44.

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    Can someone explain to me, that is we find private investment (which right now might be hard but soon enough it won't be) that how come we need to have anything to do with this governemt - exactly why do they hold anyone over a barrell?

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Can someone explain to me, that is we find private investment (which right now might be hard but soon enough it won't be) that how come we need to have anything to do with this governemt - exactly why do they hold anyone over a barrell?
    Two part question Happy......you find me a millionaire who's willing to pony up the dough and I'll stop talking to politicians tomorrow.

Second part. The barrell is AK reserve. RugbyWA have been unceremoniously turfed out of there headquaters (seriously, it's a construction site ATM) and don't really know where they're going or how much they're paying when they get there. Others closer to the organisation will be able to provide more detail, but AFAIK the government are the holders of that lease...maybe the thumbscrews are being applied there......I don't know. but I do know we need public support for this thing to happen or WA's rugby fans WILL get shafted by 'the gorilla in the room'

I'm not looking forward to that!

C'mon the

vCash
    aren't we already getting shafted?

Legend Contributor
    vCash
    well we had one - Mr Paker said give me the land and I'll build you a stadium - yes the government said no

But what I meant is if we had lobbied the likes of Mr Forrest 6 months ago with, can we have $500m of your $28b - call it FMG Stadium, would you finance it? Would we have been more successful than current methods??, I guess the Stomping on the ground hasn't worked for us so maybe when things recover a little bit a change of direction is the way to go?

Not putting down any of the effort you guys have gone to by any means, jusxt throwing a comment out there, something different...

Chuck Norris has the greatest Poker-Face of all time. He won the 1983 World Series of Poker, despite holding only a Joker, a Get out of Jail Free Monopoly card, a 2 of clubs, 7 of spades and a green #4 card from the game Uno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy View Post
    Something I was told this morning that I knew nothing about which is the "sport centre trust' Government owned and run ????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast