Thread: Debutant stops Italians with disputed try

Immortal Contributor
    vCash

Debutant stops Italians with disputed try

Debutant stops Italians with disputed try

Greg Growden in Padova Chief Rugby Correspondent | November 10, 2008

WHILE Wallabies novice Quade Cooper won the Test with a "dream come true" moment, Italy argued that his match-winning try, which saved Australia from embarrassment, should not have been awarded.

The scatty Wallabies, who trailed Italy in the first half and were under enormous pressure when the scores were level at 20-20 in the last quarter of the game, had to rely on a great individual try from Cooper in the 71st minute to keep intact their unbeaten record over the improving Six Nations opponent.

A player can not do any better on his Test debut than to win his country an international, which was why an ecstatic Cooper was in a state of disbelief after the match.

However, Italy's coach, Nick Mallett, countered that Cooper's magical moment would never have been if the referee had done his job.

Mallett argued that Cooper's try, which came after a frantic midfield run and several perfectly timed sidesteps, should have been called back by New Zealand referee Bryce Lawrence because an Italian defender had been deliberately taken out.

"I was very disappointed with their second try because there was blocking, and [No.8] Sergio [Parisse] was knocked off his feet in front of the ball. That try should never have been awarded," Mallett said.

"That's why I believe the International Rugby Board should allow referees to have a look at video in instances where there appears to be obstruction. It's embarrassing when your captain is put on his arse, and the guy runs straight through the hole he was in. You don't want to lose a game on a try like that."

The Wallabies were unaware of the obstruction. And Cooper, who had come onto the field only 10 minutes before scoring to replace the injured Timana Tahu, was unconcerned with the Italian complaints.

"So many dreams came true tonight," he said. "To play with some of my idols and then to score a try like that is fantastic. The space opened up. I saw the line, the adrenalin was pumping through me, and I ran as fast as I could. It was just instinct.

"This is amazing, as I know there are millions of people back in Australia who would love this opportunity. I was lucky enough to get it, and I've taken it with both hands."

The Italian protests were just part of a confusing afternoon, which saw the match played on a field clearly smaller than the usual dimensions. The Wallabies team management had complained before the game that the length of the field was about five metres too short, the in-goal was minimal, and the width of the field had been tightened. But there was nothing anyone could do about that because the field was surrounded by an athletic track.

Then after the match, the Wallabies team bus broke down, and they had to use the opposition team bus to get back to their hotel.

It was not much better during the game, with the Wallabies often breaking down. Their midfield kicking was dreadful - one from halfback Luke Burgess even went backwards - the decision making in attack was all over the shop, and they often seemed to forget the fact that the easiest way to upset Italy was to run straight at them up the middle of the field. Instead, the Wallabies tried to push too many passes, reacting without thinking.

While he was pleased that the Wallabies held up in the final 15 minutes, coach Robbie Deans was irked that they were "ill-disciplined in our own half, and ill-disciplined on attack in terms of our decisions in carrying the ball".

"Hence we alleviated pressure when we were starting to get on the front-foot by losing ball," Deans said.

"It's been indicative of our season that we've let the opposition in too easily. At the 65th-minute mark, it was game on. At that moment the switch was flicked, and we got the response we've been seeking. Thankfully, that response we got from the 65th to 80th minute was pretty remarkable."

And even in praising his new loose-head prop Ben Alexander, he was sure to sting Wallabies who struggled elsewhere.

"Ben had an outstanding game, being active in the set-piece, but also around the ground," he said. "He made some great decisions for a bloke who was playing his first game in a long time, let alone in a Test match. His decisions in the carry were exceptional. I might get him to have a word to a few of the backs."

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/n...e#contentSwap1

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

vCash
    Mortlock did get in the way, take out, obsruct the Italian captain in the play but it won't say that in the history books.

You lost, get over it.

vCash
    Lodge a complaint with the IRB..........................

vCash
    making comments like that does nothing for Mallets credibility, you don't see any reviews of the world cup semi-final where the All-blacks lost against France because the Ref didnt see a forward pass. if the ref doesnt see it it didnt happen!
    so what makes him think they'll do anything about a simple off the ball incident in an insignificant end-of season tour match.

Legend Contributor blueandblack's Avatar
    vCash
    I couldn't be bothered making it that far into the game. 15 mins in, I went to bed.

Interesting that 'Quade won the game for us'. I remembering seeing Gits on the pitch, so that actually makes two players not one. Wonder where the others went...maybe off having pizza.

"12 Years a Supporter" starring the #SeaOfBlue

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueandblack View Post
    I couldn't be bothered making it that far into the game. 15 mins in, I went to bed.
    I watched it in bed. You lasted longer though B&B, i was asleep just after the first try. Woke up a few times throughout though

(a.k.a. Mr Pinkbits) Stone Cold's Avatar
    vCash
    too drunk to watch it...watched the replay on sunday having stuck my head in the ground all morning

what a frustrating game to watch - the italians have a lot to learn about broadcasting rugby! i was getting angry at the cameramen...

coz Stone Cold says so

Legend Court Reporter
    Contributor
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zimeric View Post
    making comments like that does nothing for Mallets credibility, you don't see any reviews of the world cup semi-final where the All-blacks lost against France because the Ref didnt see a forward pass. if the ref doesnt see it it didnt happen!
    so what makes him think they'll do anything about a simple off the ball incident in an insignificant end-of season tour match.
    I don't know he has a right to moan if it was a dodgy try (I didn't noticed I was too relieved). But your right it doesn't make a difference.

Its funny I think that the All Blacks were happy to have a big old whinge after that French loss but didn't acknowledge that McCaw's try came off a forward pass. Double standards.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.