Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Western Force chief to meet with ARU about Giteau affair

vCash

Western Force chief to meet with ARU about Giteau affair

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005401,00.html
    THE Western Force will start talks with the Australian Rugby Union tomorrow about the future of star Matt Giteau.
    Force chief executive Greg Harris will discuss a number of topics but the `Giteau Affair' is top of the list.

Giteau revealed to The Sunday Times last week that he had refused a sponsors $1.6 million offer to extend his contract with the Force until 2011.

The club is now waiting to hear whether he wants an early release from the final year of his contract.

RugbyWA chairman Geoff Stooke said Mr Harris would also be opening discussions with Giteau's manager James Erskine.

``We will be seeking the thoughts of the ARU about the issue and we will start addressing it next week,'' Mr Stooke said.

``We need to resolve outstanding issues as soon as possible. We need clarification.''

If Giteau leaves before 2009 coach John Mitchell may elevate current back-up five-eighth Scott Daruda to the starting side or throw teenager James O'Connor into the deep end.

The club could go outside Australia and pick up one of their two overseas players allowed under new ARU rules.

One possibility is Southland's Blair Stewart who was not selected in New Zealand's Super 14 squads.

Stewart, 25, the 2008 Air New Zealand Cup leading scorer, is contracted to Southland but has a get-out clause.

Another, but certainly not a long term prospect, could be former All Black Tony Brown.

Brown, 33, capped 18 times by the AB's has been playing with Japanese club Sanyo. He played for the Highlanders until 2004, for the Sharks in 2006 and the Stormers last season.

If Giteau stays for 2009 the club may still use an import spot for the following year.

One player firmly on the radar would be 22-time capped All Black Luke McAlister, 25, whose contract with English club Sale runs out this season.

Another - though less likely possibility - could be the Sharks Francois Steyn.

The Force is understood to have thrown his name up as a possible replacement for Giteau amid reports that European clubs are looking to buy him out of his contract that ends in 2009.

Force management are concerned that Giteau's decision may be the catalyst for a knock-on effect.
    They will be keen to talk with Giteau's good mate, Wallaby Drew Mitchell who has one season left on his contract.

O'Connor and newly signed halfback Josh Valentine have signed for one season and both openly said playing with Giteau was one of the reasons they came to Perth.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    THAT WOULD BE THE BEST DAY IN MY LIFE!!!

BOKKE
    “Let me put it this way, A Springbok team contains Afrikaners, Englishmen, coloureds and blacks. It has parochial foes in Bulls, Sharks, Stormers, Cheetahs and Lions. It is a recipe for war! Yet in all the years of John Smit’s captaincy, there has never been one unhappy customer, not one voice of rebellion against his leadership. He is the glue that holds the Springboks together. The man is a legend!”- Jake White

vCash
    I can identify with John Mitchell's need to know who is in for next year ASAP. And the importance for the whole team to find value in the final outcome, be it Matt Giteau or another big name foreign flyhalf recruit.

Next week is lining up to be a significant week for several Australian provinces and at the ARU.

Those around us let us who we are...Giteau makes developing players feel like they can be champions, its a special gift...

vCash
    Wow, I heard this AGES ago. Didn't think too much bout it, but now I'm not keen on having him

I don't want an import. I want Gits! No saffas, or Kiwis, or ANYONE! A good lad from country WA would be best (hehe), but seeing as we have none of those ready for s14 at this point in time Gits is my first choice

And especially I don't want Steyn as an import. He can kick AMAZING goals, there is no questioning that, but as a flyhalf he is just terrible. He cannot read play, he just plays. He doesn't have the brain of a flyhalf, and I do mean that in the nicest way possible. He is great at 13, but we have our Crossy and he is also very talented in a 15 jumper but we have Sheps

And he sucks at 10. And our Git's is thinking of leaving... DAMNIT!

I don't know any other of the imports well. Anyone know much bout them?

Force management are concerned that Giteau's decision may be the catalyst for a knock-on effect.
    They will be keen to talk with Giteau's good mate, Wallaby Drew Mitchell who has one season left on his contract.
    How many times, Drew is not going ANYWHERE! Trust me. It's just not going to happen. Where there is a will, there is a way And I have my ways... hehehe

I don't think JOC will go either. If he stays with the force then he is offered the best mentor in the coutry, or starting at 10 for the whole season I would guess (or battling it out with Daruda, but I think James might have the edge having his walla-wow-factor and all). Plus I don't think he would be ready to pick up and move again. I think moving out of home is tough enough for most post-highschool teens, but to another STATE from your family is just mind-boggling. I don't see him... blow him, ANYONE wanting to do that twice in 3 years.

Valentine is mates with Drew. Drew isn't leaving. Valentine isn't leaving. I'm the catalyst for a STAY-ON-WITH-THE-FORCE effect.

Jeez, how easy was that?! I just retained 3 force players for another 5 years each!... I should start a newspaper company and I can make up truths like that all day long!

Last edited by robyn <3; 08-11-08 at 19:20. Reason: I stopped typing halfway through a sentence... weirdo

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    It also gets down to getting fans to the match. If James has a go and firers plenty will come and watch the wonder kid, if he disappoints people gradually withdraw...

This is what happened to Kurtley Beale...Too much pressure was put on the kid and it slowed his development...

I wouldn't like to see that happen to JOC. Lets hope tonight, the Wallabies get off to a big start and JOC get a good 20 minutes on the field...

I'd rather see a Aussie kid at fly, however a big name will bring people to the match.

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Actually the crowd numbers have declined during Gits stay....

vCash
    thats so true

BOKKE

vCash
    Well thats not good. Crowd numbers are down at all Australian super 14 provinces...in 2008

Immortal Contributor
    vCash
    Its quite simple Mud...we have a shite stadium.

vCash
    Erm, haven't they declined through everyone's stay?

I think we have had our wallaby numbers grow in the force this year. 4 in the world cup was not good, not for a team who finished 2nd out of all the Australian Provinces (TAKE NOTE KNUCKLES!) but having more in this Spring Tour I think will draw the crowds back.

Plus, in 08 they actually gained a member so it can't be all bad

A kick in this game is like a rather nasty alcoholic shooter, only as good as it's chaser...
    Courtesy of quality South African commentry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Well thats not good. Crowd numbers are down at all Australian super 14 provinces...in 2008
    No there not, nsw was definetly up and I think qld was as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

vCash
    Perth should have a 35,000 retangle stadium which could expand over years... would they share with other codes?

vCash
    NSW perhaps up late in the season but not early. Sydney public only like a winner...a fickle crowd..

vCash
    Odd time for PerthNow to post this article... 8:30 pm on a Saturday night, 2 hours before the first Northern Hemisphere Wallabies test match. The Sunday papers will be all over it. Perhaps Giteau plans to say something to the media after the match.

Everyones favourite Chief Rugby Journalist at SMH Greg Growden will be climbing through hotel windows in Padova to get an exclusive interview with Giteau...bless him...

Legend
    Apprentice Bookie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Perth should have a 35,000 rectangle stadium which could expand over years
    That is the smartest thing you have said since you got here.

Exile
    Sydney

"Pain heels. Chicks dig scars and Glory lasts forever." Shane Falco

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast