Thread: Perth Angels take out sixth national cheerleading title

Legend Contributor Flamethrower's Avatar
    vCash

Perth Angels take out sixth national cheerleading title

Perth Angels take out sixth national cheerleading title
    Justin Chadwick
    October 15, 2008

MID-AIR somersaults, basket tosses, human pyramids, double-twist cradles, dismounts - it sounds like something you would see at the Olympics.

With the inaugural Cheerleading World Cup to be launched at Disney World in Florida next year, it could be a matter of time before competitive cheerleading finds its way onto the world's biggest sporting stage.

Two months ago the International Cheer Union - the newly formed world governing body for cheerleading - travelled to Beijing to hand its submission to the International Olympic Committee for the sport to be granted entry to the Olympics.

Time will tell whether that bid is successful but for now the popularity of the sport is growing worldwide.

And yes, cheerleading is a sport.

Full Story: Perth Angels take out sixth national cheerleading title | PerthNow

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    One of my friends is in Perth Angels. Its pretty intense training.

And i remember the massive debate over whether cheerleading is actually a sport or not in year 11 phys ed studies....it was HUGE haha.
    Turns out Cheerleading is actually a sport!!

Congrats to the team

vCash
    There was a thing on Today Tonight or whatever about them tonight.

They train 3 or 4 nights a week.

Posted via space

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiza View Post

And i remember the massive debate over whether cheerleading is actually a sport or not in year 11 phys ed studies....it was HUGE haha.
    Turns out Cheerleading is actually a sport!!

Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customsand often engaged in competitively.

That's why they consider auto racing a sport. They aren't athletes but it is a sport.

Many cheerleaders don't engage in a competition, their purpose is to entertain and motivate the fans of a sporting team. They are certainly athletes but I would't call it a sport.

So there's no doubt that in the case of the Angels, yes cheerleading is a sport and they are athletes. Congrats and I hope they make it to Fla. next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    That's why they consider auto racing a sport. They aren't athletes but it is a sport.
    I dunno about that these days. I'd say any F1 driver would have a fitness level equal to most other general athletes.

Posted via space

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    I dunno about that these days. I'd say any F1 driver would have a fitness level equal to most other general athletes.
    I stand corrected! I lost my mind for a moment. Definetely an athlete!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post

Many cheerleaders don't engage in a competition, their purpose is to entertain and motivate the fans of a sporting team. They are certainly athletes but I would't call it a sport.

So there's no doubt that in the case of the Angels, yes cheerleading is a sport and they are athletes. Congrats and I hope they make it to Fla. next year.
    Yea that's right. I think we decided that compeititve cheerleading is a sport and then there are the "other cheerleaders"

Some of the rules for competitive cheerleading are pretty whacked and it is also governed by Gymnastics Australia.

vCash
    one of the girls at work is an Angel... literally
    nah seriously tho kudo's to her and the rest of the team for doing it three years in a row!